Page 18 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

Holy fuck America, sort your shit out.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Producer
    I live under a military junta government (a student activist just got a two-year imprisonment sentence today because...free speech, and for just sharing a historical fact!) and Trump somehow still manages to continually stun and sicken me; really no small feat.

Also I don't know the timeline there between these posts and Trump's latest talk, but amusing to feel it seems like he had just addressed the "both sides" thing of the last two pages. I used to feel just a slight tint bit of ambivalence to things like Spencer getting punched (amidst the satisfaction). Since then not so much now and probably never again.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Having second thoughts about going to an outdoor concert on Thursday night in fear of Nazis plowing into it.

This is my thought process in 2017.
    In Tennessee?

Honest question, what is taking the dems so long to bring impeachment proceedings? Are they just making sure they have enough ammo? I feel it's either that or they letting Trump do enough damage that reps don't have power for another couple decades.

GOP controls the house. They have to start it.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    In Tennessee?
    Yep. Nashville, specifically.

Although, it's been pretty tame here, especially for a red state. Sure, there were anti-Trump protests during the inauguration but no white nationalist demonstrations up to this point. I just read news reports from national publications of white supremacists saying, "This is just the beginning" and think it's just a matter of time before something terrible happens here because we're due for it.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    It's OK, encouraged, to hate Nazis, fascists and bigots. If that makes me an extreme leftist, then so be it (even though I wanted to vote for Kasich in 2016, so...).

There were people who didn't take a side at the beginning of WWII, and history does not look kindly upon their non-decision.
    This isn't a situation that happened overnight, is what I'm saying. What's happening right now has been brewing for a number of years now. And in that time, both the left and the right have become more and more extremist in their views, and more and more vile towards one another as a result of that. While I don't condone this alt-right Nazi movement, thing is, it's a direct response to the way that the left has continuously demonized them over the past several years. Honestly, I don't even think these are real Nazis, they're just a gathering of scared, confused, angry, and ignorant dorks that had felt like the world had completely villainized them, and so this whole Nazi thing happening right now is their way of acting out.

But the point I'm trying to drive to is that the reason there's Nazis on the streets right now is because we have been so consistently hateful to one another for so long now. And adding even more hateful fuel to that fire isn't going to make things better, it's only going to continue to make things worse, because that's the precise mentality that got us here in the first place. Hate their ideals, but don't close yourself off to the prospect of reaching out to the individual with love in your heart and at least trying to see if the possibility of changing their ideals can't be achieved. Because that's the only thing that's going to change things at this point. Not a fist to the face, but an arm reaching out to help one another back on their feet, and just discussing the issue. Why are we so angry at one another? Why do we feel the need to spout such bigoted, racist drivel, and in 2017 no less? Why can't we coexist, even if we don't agree on everything? And is it possible to do so, before we decide that war is in fact the only option left available?

I'm not sure if you clicked the link in my original post a few pages back or not, but that's what it was about, an article about how a black man convinced over 200 KKK members to quit the Klan by merely talking with them and befriending them. If that man had responded to their hatred with even more hate, what good would that have done anybody? Absolutely nothing. However, by responding to their hatred instead with love in his heart, he was able to reach into their hearts and convince them of another way, a better way, and ultimately cure them of that hatred lingering within them. And I don't see why that can't be achieved in this instance, too.

You bring up World War II. Thing is though, this isn't a foreign enemy in another country we're talking about here. It's our fellow Americans, who we've lived alongside in harmony for many generations now, before things took a turn to absolute shit a few years back. But things weren't always that way, and they don't have to continue to be that way. But deciding that going out on the streets and fighting one another is the only option is all but ensuring that to be the case. After all, during the Bush years, which wasn't that long ago, all the liberals I knew were absolutely adamant about looking for peaceful resolutions to the terrible state of the world. And yet nowadays, it feels like those same liberals are the exact opposite, to the point where I don't even recognize them anymore.

I don't think this is a fight where hate is ever going to trump hate, in either regard. I think this is one where it takes the ability to rise above that hate in order to pave the path to a better future, one where we can invite the other side to follow and join us, and see if we can't find a way to come back together again as a nation. Because quite frankly, I'm just so fucking tired of all of the hate. I've spent the past several years of my life doing my damndest to escape every stressful situation that I might find myself in, so needless to say, I don't even have the energy anymore for that sort of pointless, needless hatred in my heart or in my life. Call me naive, but there's gotta be a better way.

I don't think its odd to feel the way you do in TN at all. I think about it in OH for sure.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Although, it's been pretty tame here, especially for a red state. Sure, there were anti-Trump protests during the inauguration but no white nationalist demonstrations up to this point. I just read news reports from national publications of white supremacists saying, "This is just the beginning" and think it's just a matter of time before something terrible happens here because we're due for it.
    This may help:

But the odds of dying falling out of your bed is higher than dying in a terrorist attack.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel

There is no way to stay neutral when faced with this. 22 harrowing moments of America in 2017.

Yeh that's the video that amberlita posted on the last page....

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Trump's business advisory board disbands.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/34...isbands-report

So far these CEOs have quite Trump's manufacturing board the last few days:

Denise Morrison, Campbell
    Ken Frazier, Merck
    Kevin Plank, Underarmor
    Brian Krzanich, Intel
    Scott Paul, Alliance for American Manufacturing
    Richard Trumka, AFL-CIO
    Inge Thulin, 3M
    Elon Musk, Tesla
    Thea Lee, AFL-CIO

LLLOOLLL!!!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/trum...icy-forum.html

Turmp ends manufacturing council.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    the odds of dying falling out of your bed is higher than dying in a terrorist attack.
    Comforting words to Heather Heyer's mom, no doubt.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

This is pretty funny.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel
    Are you even reading my posts? :\

I don't think he's reading anyone's but his own. He doesn't want to have a discussion only posting in hyperbole is allowed here.

LLLOOLLL!!!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/trum...icy-forum.html

Turmp ends manufacturing council.
    Super happy about this. My CEO was an adviser to him but didn't have the balls to back out on his own.

Yeah, ditto that. I was checking his twitter feed almost hourly, hoping for him to come out and announce, but he never did.

What I have been hearing, tho, is that it wasn't Trump who dissolved the council per se', rather the remaining CEOs got on a con call and mutually agreed to dissolve it. But of course Trump would spin it as if it were his decision.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    What I have been hearing, tho, is that it wasn't Trump who dissolved the council per se', rather the remaining CEOs got on a con call and mutually agreed to dissolve it. But of course Trump would spin it as if it were his decision.
    Yup: http://fortune.com/2017/08/16/donald...il-disbanding/

Mofo lied to save face.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Every single word, multiple times.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I don't think he's reading anyone's but his own. He doesn't want to have a discussion only posting in hyperbole is allowed here.
    when faced with the choice of neo Nazis and white supremacists or those who stand against those things, there is no conversation to be had.

I guess there is some room for conversation. For instance, what are you going to do to fight? How far are you prepared to go?

Right now I'm prepared to open my house up to those who might need refuge, to minorities, other fighters, etc. I'll also donate money and time to causes that will fight.

I'm not quite at the point to where I'd pick up a weapon and literally fight, and I don't know what it would take for me to reach that point. That's a bravery I don't have, at least not right now. Perhaps it's because I'm still way too comfortable.

I hope it never comes down to the point where I feel like it would be worth sacrificing my life. That's probably selfish, but that's where I'm at right now.

If things get really uncomfortable, really quickly, that could all change.

Page 18 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast