Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

So yeah, I'm mighty stuck at the Bell Gargoyles.

Is it pretty much impossible to defeat them without summoning Sun Bro?

I read that they are both susceptible to lightning based attacks...but I don't have a weapon that does enough damage in the first place to warrant throwing some gold pine resin on it. I might as well just use the Drake Sword.

But man oh man...I just cannot beat these mofos.

How's about this - any tips for getting some humanity back? Any particular areas or enemies where humanity is fairly commonly found?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

BAAHHH-HAHAHAHA!!
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Humanity: kill rats. It's a rare drop, but a drop nonetheless. After a couple hours and several runs in the Depths, I picked up probably eight or ten humanities. I've gone farming for them a few times since then. I usually pick up about one per run.

Of course, when you're in the Depths, you gotta be wary of the curse frogs's fog. They're easy to beat, but the curse effect is instant death and a semi-permanent hindrance (half health) that can be costly to cure. Being human ups your curse resistance.

The Depths is a fairly easy area otherwise. Its boss isn't exactly a pushover, of course.

So this is where people talk about REAL video games, eh?

No babies aloud, amiright?

Meg, check this out:

[youtube]fAQhHpUC1K8[/youtube]

I don't think you can go to the depths before ringing the first bell.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I don't think you can go to the depths before ringing the first bell.
    Oh, that's a good point.

Leaving messages might be a good strategy. Except nobody every rates messages in this game.

You could try getting yourself summoned to others' games for help on a boss, maybe even to help with the Gargoyles. I believe if it's successful, you're rewarded with Humanity.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    You could try getting yourself summoned to others' games for help on a boss, maybe even to help with the Gargoyles. I believe if it's successful, you're rewarded with Humanity.
    Yep - that's a good way to learn a boss, and get rewarded with a ton of souls and humanity.

Also, Meg, what shield are you using? Does it have 100% against physical? If not, buy the heat shield from the merchant - that should help a lot.

Beat the Gargoyles on my own. Ended up just being very patient, strafing around them, waiting for them to attack so I could hit them in the back.

However, I didn't get the pick-up, even though I cut the first one's tail off. Apparently you're supposed to get something. Is this another case where I didn't get it because I didn't have humanity?

Oh well. Rang the first bell. Super cool. It's amazing that ringing a bell felt like such an achievement

So whereabouts are the Depths located?

I just tried to take on the Capra Demon but had my butt handed to me by his two pooches :sad:

Oh, yeah, the Depths are down a staircase near the Capra Demon. But you need to beat the Capra Demon to get access to it. Good luck!

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Oh, yeah, the Depths are down a staircase near the Capra Demon. But you need to beat the Capra Demon to get access to it. Good luck!

:lol:

It seems to me that the strategy for that is definitely to kill the two dogs before even attempting to take on the Capra Demon itself.

Indeed. And a major part of that strategy is lasting more than 3 seconds once you step into the fog.

I always found it useful to try to get up the stairs.

Okay, so I'm in act two of Dead Island. I hope there's more interesting missions coming up than the current slew of scrounge for food type stuff.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Okay, so I'm in act two of Dead Island. I hope there's more interesting missions coming up than the current slew of scrounge for food type stuff.
    :lol:

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Wrong thread, jerk face!

Meg - good luck with Capra! Heh....

If you can survive the first 5-10 seconds, you can do it. You definitely have to kill those dogs. Don't forget about the Drake Sword's two-handed strong attack...

Is this the first time in Match Cut history that a video game has had its own spin-off thread?

I've given up trying to kill the Capra Demon for now.

I'm in the Darkroot Basin now, trying to defeat the Golum type creature inside the Watchtower Basement.

He's big and slow, but he takes a LOT of hits even with the Drake Sword, and if he hits you even once you're dead.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I've given up trying to kill the Capra Demon for now.

I'm in the Darkroot Basin now, trying to defeat the Golum type creature inside the Watchtower Basement.

He's big and slow, but he takes a LOT of hits even with the Drake Sword, and if he hits you even once you're dead.
    My strategy for him:

[
    ]

His drop is awesome, though, and it is a 100% drop.

So Sen's Fortress ended up being rather easy. I think it's because I'm always reading about how hard things are, and I end up building it up in my mind. The boss here was ten times easier than the Capra Demon and the Gaping Dragon. Killed him solo, on my 3rd try. And two of the times I died because I fell off a ledge!

And wow...the reveal after this part is breathtaking. Absolutely one of the coolest moments I've experienced in a game.

Ano Londo might just be the most beautiful video game level of all time. My god...I want to live there.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Is this the first time in Match Cut history that a video game has had its own spin-off thread?
    It's the first time in history when about 3-4 members of match cut were all playing the same game at the same time. I probably would be playing it too but 60 bucks is way too much for a game at this point in my life. I'll see you guys in 2-3 years for this one.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This thread exists??
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    ....too but 60 bucks is way too much for a game at this point in my life. I'll see you guys in 2-3 years for this one.
    Usually is for me as well. Luckily, I had a stack of old stuff to trade in.

I still haven't gotten used to that $59.99 price point. Publishers should know that even at $49.99, I'd buy many more games. It's all psychological.

I don't think I've ever played a game before that has made me feel actual emotion. It's very weird. That whole time in The Depths, and Blighttown, and in Darkroot Forest, you go for hours without seeing the sun, and it gets very depressing in a way. And now, this new area is completely different, and it actually feels somewhat hopeful.

It's pretty amazing how the game accomplishes these shifts through subtle use of dark and light.

Looks like the second printing of the strategy guide is hitting the shelves soon.

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast