Thread: The News Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting monolith94 (view post)
    And this is why I had to detach myself from the somethingawful forums, they're so far out that I can imagine them watching footage of dynamited Cathedrals from the Soviet era and nodding sagely. Someone brought up the oppression of the Hmong people in one of the threads I was following, and they're replying was essentially, they collaborated with American imperialism, that's what you get. There are some really, really radical Marxist corners of the internet.
    Do you say this because of MadMan's comment about CIA planned coups? That's just the history of South America in the XXth century. I'd hesitate to even call it an opinion.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Do you say this because of MadMan's comment about CIA planned coups? That's just the history of South America in the XXth century. I'd hesitate to even call it an opinion.
    No, I was just trying to give an example of how radical some online spaces have become. Although I consider myself more conservative than I was, I'm no fan of the CIA. I believe we should take a more circumspect approach to foreign policy. Sadly, you take a stand against foreign adventurism, and you're accused of being an "isolationist" as if not wanting to rush into war in the middle east means you want to turn the US into some kind of hermit kingdom.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society