Page 52 of 270 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 6728

Thread: The Book Discussion Thread

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Awesome. Really glad you liked it, and I'm in complete agreement that it's a tad too short. As for more Greene, I'm afraid I don't have any other recs for you. I've only read the five that I've mentioned (The Power and the Glory, The Heart of the Matter, The Tenth Man, Brighton Rock, The Third Man), and I'm pretty sure you've read all of them. I own The Human Factor, The End of the Affair, A Burnt-Out Case, Our Man in Havana, and The Quiet American, but haven't gotten to them yet.
    haven't read the third man actually. but i'm a lazy ass, so i might watch the film instead. :P
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    haven't read the third man actually. but i'm a lazy ass, so i might watch the film instead. :P
    It's basically a glorified screenplay anyway. He wrote it in preparation for the film, so it's short and concise and not much different from the film. I'd say you have the right idea.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I kvetched about it a little bit in the writer's thread. She is very insistent that:

A. Commercial fiction is plot-based, while Literary fiction is character based, therefore:

B. You should absolutely not ouline a plot for your novel but

C. Simply write good characters and go wherever they take you.

There was a strong implication that anyone who disagrees is a bit of a hack.

I don't doubt this approach works for some people, but with the book I'm writing, I really want the plot to go a certain way. (It's an adventure sort of novel.) I had a mild elitist crisis about it.
    Don't stress over it; she has her opinion, and it is one that I don't share, either.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I finally finished Kant's Critique of Pure Reason the other day. Kant is my co-pilot.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Finally finished Sartre's Nausea. I'd have to say I found it to be a mixed blessing. I really enjoyed both the beginning and ending of the book but there was a long middle stretch that I found grew quite monotonous, repetitive and felt ultimately superfluous. I liked it for the first 60 pages or so up through the first dissipation of the nausea (jazz/ragtime record)... then it got tedious... then I started liking it again from the tree/root thought sequence up through to the end.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Awesome. Really glad you liked it, and I'm in complete agreement that it's a tad too short. As for more Greene, I'm afraid I don't have any other recs for you. I've only read the five that I've mentioned (The Power and the Glory, The Heart of the Matter, The Tenth Man, Brighton Rock, The Third Man), and I'm pretty sure you've read all of them. I own The Human Factor, The End of the Affair, A Burnt-Out Case, Our Man in Havana, and The Quiet American, but haven't gotten to them yet.
    Watch Brighton Rock, great Attenborough performance and very quality film as well.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I kvetched about it a little bit in the writer's thread. She is very insistent that:

A. Commercial fiction is plot-based, while Literary fiction is character based, therefore:

B. You should absolutely not ouline a plot for your novel but

C. Simply write good characters and go wherever they take you.

There was a strong implication that anyone who disagrees is a bit of a hack.

I don't doubt this approach works for some people, but with the book I'm writing, I really want the plot to go a certain way. (It's an adventure sort of novel.) I had a mild elitist crisis about it.
    So tell her your good characters ended up taking you through an interesting plotline.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    Bought Irvine Welsh's Glue for $5...I guess that will be the next novel I read after finishing a couple of academic texts.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Finished Beloved. Wonderful book. Fizzled a bit in the end, but still a wonderful read. Definitely worthy of its reputation.

www.bookdecor.com

Filling a bookcase couldn't be easier... Measure how many linear feet you need to fill, and then order by the foot from Book Decor.

We also 'rent' our Leather Bound Books for 25% of their listed price. Call for details.

Books are a welcome decorative addition to any home, regardless of interior design or style. Book Decor offers a wide variety of volumes from which to choose. These books are written in Danish, so they might not make great reading, but they do have beautiful exterior designs.
    These special "Harry Potter Look" books are available in a limited quantity at $18.00 a book.
    Designer books unlike draperies or carpeting appreciate in value and never wear out. They are an investment for the future, as well as the ideal item with which to decorate your home or office. Warm rich leathers and antique gilt accent any room from traditional to contemporary in style. A library, study or simply a corner table...designer books are an affordable and elegant way to add warmth and beauty to your decor.

Plastic surgery for the intellectual. They stole my idea!
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Wow... frontin' made easy.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

All this talk of Graham Greene made me go with The End of the Affair as my next novel.

All this talk of Graham Greene made me go with The End of the Affair as my next novel.

One of my fave books.

*yays*

Quote Quoting SpaceOddity (view post)
    One of my fave books.

*yays*
    I read Wuthering Heights. I question your taste in men.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)

I like 'em otherworldly 'n' sadistic.

*persists*

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    Wuthering Heights is many things.

Romantic is not one of them.

(Sorry, Sp.Od.)

Wuthering Heights is many things.

Romantic is not one of them.

(Sorry, Sp.Od.)

What do you consider romantic?

I've only seen the film but at least Wyler's Wuthering Heights seems pretty obviously romantic to me.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

What do you consider romantic?
    I see Wuthering Heights being about obsession and vengeance. The emotions are powerful, but they're not actually very loving.

I'm not sure how to answer your question, because romance can be lots of different things. For this instance, though, I will narrow it to one point: Romance is caring about someone else more than yourself.

I see Wuthering Heights being about obsession and vengeance. The emotions are powerful, but they're not actually very loving.

I'm not sure how to answer your question, because romance can be lots of different things. For this instance, though, I will narrow it to one point: Romance is caring about someone else more than yourself.
    [
    ]That qualifies as caring about someone else more than yourself.

[
    ]That qualifies as caring about someone else more than yourself.
    I understand where you're coming from, but it's too little, too late for me. Catherine is a selfish, shallow person and I don't think she's capable of much genuine self-sacrifice.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's too little, too late for me. Catherine is a selfish, shallow person and I don't think she's capable of much genuine self-sacrifice.
    Yet, there is no more self-sacrificing character because there's nothing greater to sacrifice.

Which novels do you regard romantic? P&P?
    Austen's incapable of representing love on account of her observational orientation and ideological opposition to transcendence.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Picked up Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain. Will begin shortly.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Austen's incapable of representing love on account of her observational orientation and ideological opposition to transcendence.
    I think we may be getting to the root of the problem.

I, myself, have an opposition to transcendence.

Don't get me wrong-- I really respect and admire Wuthering Heights. But I think our ideas of romance are very different. No harm in that!

Finished The End of the Affair and loved it. Definitely among Greene's best work. I'm now about 100 pages into The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.