Page 2747 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1747224726472697273727452746274727482749275727972847 ... LastLast
Results 68,651 to 68,675 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

- - - - -
    Duke was like 10 when Cobain died, lol

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    1965-1980.
    "early 80s"

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    You and I are 83-84. We can accept Xenniels or even Oregon Trail Generation... but not in the same club as those damn slackers.
    That we can agree.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Duke was like 10 when Cobain died, lol

I remember it. I also remember Bradley Nowells death, Tpacs, Princess Diana, Biggie, Phil Hartman, Chris Farley and Reggie Lewis.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I remember it. I also remember Bradley Nowells death, Tpacs, Princess Diana, Biggie, Phil Hartman, Chris Farley and Reggie Lewis.
    Yeah ... uh ... those events all made national news?

I mean, I like John Wayne, "A Hard Day's Night," Lester Bangs, and Joan Didion ... but that doesn't make me a boomer.

What's wrong with being a millennial?

Nothing. I'll take millennials over boomers all fucking day. I consider early 80s to 90s what they used to call Gen Y. For some reason that label went away and got lumped in with millennials. Ya'll deserve more cred because you at least remember pre-internet. Us Gen X-ers though, we remember when there was only 3 channels and audio cassettes cost $10-$20, VHS tapes were $20-$70, and laserdiscs could be up to $100. When I started smoking, a pack cost 75 cents to a buck.

The fact that we can't even agree where millennials start and stop just goes to show how completely arbitrary and meaningless these generational distinctions are. Millennial is just a media term hacks use to conjure up a stereotyped image of broke young people taking selfies of themselves eating avocados. It's not surprising Duke would want to reject that stereotype but I'm not sure piggybacking an older bullshit media cliché is the best way to go about it.

Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    We mostly agree outside of Duke and Duke is wrong, because the boundaries of Generation X don't extend to the mid-1980s.

Anyway, the distinctions are mostly meaningless but I'm not sure they're arbitrary. They're merely labels meant to provide context.

Curious that you made a similar argument around "best films of the year" or whatever awhile back.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-26-2019 at 05:58 PM.

- - - - -
    OTOH I've spent the morning listening to Nirvana bootlegs on YouTube and that's all down to Duke so .... :thumbsup:

The first Nirvana album (cassette) I bought (and still tied for best album they made) was Bleach.

No wait...first one I bought was In Utero. Second was Bleach. But those are the best.

Yeah ... uh ... those events all made national news?

I mean, I like John Wayne, "A Hard Day's Night," Lester Bangs, and Joan Didion ... but that doesn't make me a boomer.

I guess my point was I was between 9-13 when most of these events happened. Do a lot of 9 year olds pay attention to famous deaths?

Whats wrong with being a millennial??

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    The first Nirvana album (cassette) I bought (and still tied for best album they made) was Bleach.

No wait...first one I bought was In Utero. Second was Bleach. But those are the best.
    Give this a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTXe...V4IlXKg9tMgOnM

Good mix

I don’t think there’s anything more millennial than saying “I don’t identify as a millennial”.
    Last edited by megladon8; 10-26-2019 at 07:15 PM.

I came across Oregon Trail Generation, and that's my favorite. Sticking to that.

Millennials end at 9/11 right? What the heck happened in 1980 to distinguish that transition? Reagan? Pac-Man? Richard Pryor on fire?

John Lennon being assassinated could be it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Curious that you made a similar argument around "best films of the year" or whatever awhile back.
    Did I? I don't remember that.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I don’t think there’s anything more millennial than saying “I don’t identify as a millennial”.
    I'm pretty sure demanding student loan forgiveness, marching on occupy wall-street and being an overall entitled douche is more millennial than not wanting to be a millennial.

Lmao.

Jesus Duke.

I'm pretty sure demanding student loan forgiveness, marching on occupy wall-street and being an overall entitled douche is more millennial than not wanting to be a millennial.
    On the student loan thing, I think that's largely an American phenomenon as university tuition there has skyrocketed over the last thirty years or so, and the reason for that is because the number of administrators has increased exponentially during the same period. In other words, kids are paying more for a crappier education and there are few jobs for them when they get out. I don't know if debt forgiveness is the solution since it doesn't address underlying economic conditions, but the idea that young people are entitled is a lazy Republican talking point deflecting attention from the neoliberal economic policies that created this situation.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    On the student loan thing, I think that's largely an American phenomenon as university tuition there has skyrocketed over the last thirty years or so, and the reason for that is because the number of administrators has increased exponentially during the same period. In other words, kids are paying more for a crappier education and there are few jobs for them when they get out. I don't know if debt forgiveness is the solution since it doesn't address underlying economic conditions, but the idea that young people are entitled is a lazy Republican talking point deflecting attention from the neoliberal economic policies that created this situation.
    Not too sure about that. I know people who have well over $150k in student loan debt. And instead of at least attempting to pay it off, they would rather travel the world, make lavish purchases and make minimum payments while the interest continues to build, and then take a job that allows it to get washed away by the taxpayers. It's not surprising I feel this way. I had a ton of debt, and paid it off over a 10 year period. Why should I have to pay for other people's terrible decision making? Take responsibly. Stop being a non-contributing zero and do something positive for society.

I dont disagree that the education cost is a real problem; but these people are co-signing these loans and not putting an ounce of thought of what they are getting into. Then they go four years to a private institution, major in literature or political science, and wonder why there aren't $100k/year jobs lying around for them.

- - - - -
    Why should I have to pay for

Yes, it’s the people with debt who are robbing you.

Not the corporations worth billion/trillions who fight tooth and nail to keep every nickel and dime from going back to the people or the country, while also treating their own employees like garbage and changing laws so they can do whatever they want under the protection of Uncle Sam.

Not too sure about that. I know people who have well over $150k in student loan debt. And instead of at least attempting to pay it off, they would rather travel the world, make lavish purchases and make minimum payments while the interest continues to build, and then take a job that allows it to get washed away by the taxpayers. It's not surprising I feel this way. I had a ton of debt, and paid it off over a 10 year period. Why should I have to pay for other people's terrible decision making? Take responsibly. Stop being a non-contributing zero and do something positive for society.

I dont disagree that the education cost is a real problem; but these people are co-signing these loans and not putting an ounce of thought of what they are getting into. Then they go four years to a private institution, major in literature or political science, and wonder why there aren't $100k/year jobs lying around for them.
    I'm not sure how student loans work in the United States, but assuming those loans come from the government, technically you wouldn't pay anything if debt forgiveness were to become a thing. Not to get into a whole thing about MMT (Modern Monetary Theory), but when the government spends money (in this case, by issuing loans), it's producing money out of thin air, increasing the total amount of money in the economy; when it takes in money (as when people pay their loans off), that money disappears from the economy. In a country that prints its own currency like the US, money is an infinite resource, and since inflation is low at the moment, this is the time when governments should be making it rain like a second-tier rapper in an Atlanta strip club.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Yes, it’s the people with debt who are robbing you.

Not the corporations worth billion/trillions who fight tooth and nail to keep every nickel and dime from going back to the people or the country, while also treating their own employees like garbage and changing laws so they can do whatever they want under the protection of Uncle Sam.
    The United States doesn't raise taxes because Amazon hides its revenue overseas. They raise taxes to pay for bottom feeders and military budgets.

Bottom feeders?

Jesus, man.

The United States doesn't raise taxes because Amazon hides its revenue overseas. They raise taxes to pay for bottom feeders and military budgets.
    When was the last time the US raised federal taxes, during the first Bush administration? Incidentally, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now if a government-funded research team hadn't invented the internet.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Duke should move to India where there’s still a caste system.

He’d love it. It’s exactly what he wants.