15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unite the League!

5 33.33%
  • Flashpoint it

10 66.67%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justice League (Zack Whedon)

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)

Please direct me to any article that might detail what is changed and what parts Whedon is responsible for, for the sake of my Snyder-purism-allergic sensibility. All I know is that Whedon's parts are about 15-20% of the film (per producer) and he pared down subplots and eliminate cliffhanger of next villain.
    Without seeing it, I'll blame every bad joke and off-topic conversation on Whedon.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This was as bad and sloppy as Suicide Squad. Scripting is absolutely terrible.
    The one redeeming factor being Wonder Woman/Amazons, despite the camera being pervy and showing her cleavage and backside at any possible chance. I liked Ezra Miller but he felt like a character from a ... very different universe... starts with an M... I would watch a Flash movie. My assumption of finding interest in Aquaman from this was incorrect. He was useless.

Everyone talking about [
    ]... did you also notice they [
    ]

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Without seeing it, I'll blame every bad joke and off-topic conversation on Whedon.
    The brunch gag and callback felt way too Whedony. The first instance was tolerable. Then they returned to it.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The brunch gag and callback felt way too Whedony. The first instance was tolerable. Then they returned to it.
    Justice League brunch scene?

bahahahahahahaha.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Justice League brunch scene?

bahahahahahahaha.
    Lines. An actual scene with the heroes having brunch in full regalia would've been four stars.

In fact, make that the whole movie.

Does Superman like syrup? Would Batman stay off the carbs? Flash could get hyper off too much coffee.

Lines. An actual scene with the heroes having brunch in full regalia would've been four stars.

In fact, make that the whole movie.

Does Superman like syrup? Would Batman stay off the carbs? Flash could get hyper off too much coffee.
    Wonder Woman is all in on unlimited mimosas.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Wonder Woman is all in on unlimited mimosas.
    This is giving me flashbacks to the one time I went to Denny's in the past five years, and they were cross-promoting Fantastic Four. I did not get the Mr. Fantastic scramble.

- - - - -
    Superman: Cantelope or honeydew with a small orange juice.

Batman: Ham or sausage based crepe. Mineral water.

Wonder Woman: Whatever compost heap passes for vegan food. Spinach smoothie.

Flash: Carb load---he'd get a dozen short stacks. Lotsa butter. Black coffee.

Saw this today. I enjoyed it.

-Felt very choppy editing, like (as expected from Snyder) it was originally a three hour movie. I'd like to see his cut out of curiosity.
    -The jokes land well enough, but in the third act everyone is still being quippy. Robbed some of the tension during the final battle. Whedon.
    -Reshoots and mustachegate...so did they reshoot 90% of Superman's scenes?
    -Ezra Miller was great.

Aquaman: Orders off the ridiculous lunch side of the menu. Beer.

Cyborg: Bloody Mary bar. Stuffs it with shrimp and bacon. NO GODDAMN CELERY.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    yeah honestly this should have been 3 hours. everyone was going to hate it regardless, might as well have gone all the way with it. I prefer undistilled Snyder insanity than this tepid half-assedness. More slow motion! More Batman cross-fit! even MORE chiseled abs! more Gal Godot ogling! BRING IT THE F ON.

I assume Snyder's son prevented all that... very sad.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    yeah honestly this should have been 3 hours. everyone was going to hate it regardless, might as well have gone all the way with it. I prefer undistilled Snyder insanity than this tepid half-assedness. More slow motion! More Batman cross-fit! even MORE chiseled abs! more Gal Godot ogling! BRING IT THE F ON.

I assume Snyder's son prevented all that... very sad.
    Daughter.

And while I have at times enjoyed Snyder's painterly objectivist fascistic nightmares, I saw little girls dressed up in Wonder Woman costumes walking into my screening. It made me acutely aware that these films are presenting moral messaging to children. Normally I'm all on the side of, you know, fuck it, artists have their visions, let the chips fall where they may, kids are resilient. But I'm also glad those kids didn't see a film similar to Batman v. Superman and saw a film where - haphazard as it was - they saw heroes who were demonstrably helping people, enjoying each other's company, and having arguments that could be reconciled by listening to each other.

That said, I agree with you that this needed more time. Although I think 15-20 minutes would've done it.

What we should've all agreed to do is give Snyder the Punisher or some other side character and just let the guy get buck wild.

What we should've all agreed to do is give Snyder the Punisher or some other side character and just let the guy get buck wild.
    Man is that some truth. I would've agreed to that while scratching my head at the news he was selected to make the Superman movie that started all this.

Walter Chaw runs hot and cold to me, but I think this line sums up the film fantastically:

Justice League is a hot mess, a film that was probably about something accidentally before it became about nothing on purpose.
    The question, of course, becomes how offensive you think that "something" was going to be... and whether or not the film is "nothing" like a piece of cardboard or "nothing" like a Nilla Wafer.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

This was entertaining. Not a great film by any stretch of the imagination, but if you come in (like I did) with limited to zero expectations, it delivers on the team-building fun and superhero action.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 11-23-2017 at 06:53 PM.

The Amazons vs. Steppenwolf scene was a badass concept and for the most part well executed, but damn if it was way too CGI'd. I felt like I was watching an Age of Empires cutscene.

Did anyone else love that The Flash ran goofy? I thought that was hilarious. I also really loved the scene where Superman turned and looked at him in [flash-time]. Ezra's face in that moment was worth the price of admission.

So which member got cut?

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Green Lantern is my guess.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Hot take: for most of this movie (til Supes showed up), Steppenwolf was a more intimidating villain than any in the MCU.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Alfred.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Hot take: for most of this movie (til Supes showed up), Steppenwolf was a more intimidating villain than any in the MCU.
    Lol wut? You're right that is the hottest take I've ever heard about trying to spinzone this movie into a positive.

I saw it on Sat. My thoughts tomorrow. SMH.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    In my irritation forgot to post this when I saw it way back then:

There's a weird intersection of Film Twitter auteurism and DCEU purist fans that rally behind this film as a Whedon compromise, which c'mon, this doesn't feel so Marvel-ified as much as simplified, mostly due to tragic external circumstances. The "jokey" stuff mainly results from two characters whose conceptions mean they can (unintentionally) exist seamlessly in MCU as well, in the form of Aquaman (a similarly infectious mix of naive pomposity and grandiose heroism like Thor) and The Flash (basically the geeky teenage awkwardness personified as in the recent Spider-Man incarnation). The simplification means subplots might get scaled back and reportedly cliffhangers for later installment(s) modified to make it more stand-alone (thank god). Not the weird-ass vision it might be, but not torturously self-involved slug it might become either. The simplication makes the pace so much faster that any indulgence doesn't have the chance to bore us to death like Lex Luthor stuff in BvS. It works as a kind of roughly assembled, overblown-in-shaky/bad-CGI, sloppily eager spirit of a saturday morning cartoon, in which I didn't know before myself that I can get behind a bit. 6/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Nah can't come with you on that leaky boat, but I did see this screencap from the BvS Ultimate Cut again and thought how much cooler Steppenwolf could've been if he still looked like this:

I would've loved Ciarán Hinds' voice coming out of that!
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast