Thread: Sorry about that

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Pretty shitty, eh? Curious reaction.

Let's pretend you, me, and Skitch are friends. Every week the three of us go to Sunday brunch, and each week a different guy pays the entire tab. This week, you and I had to cancel, but nobody told Skitch (which is a shame, because this week he was getting a "free" lunch). Skitch ends up sitting alone in a restaurant wondering what the hell. Sorry, Skitch!

Now, if he called you later and asked where you were & why we neglected to tell him lunch was off, would your response be anywhere near the realm of "Don't give me shit"?

Why do you think what I'm proposing -- more transparency, better communication -- is bad for anyone here?
    Well, seeing as no one had to go to any physical place and friends in that situation would be able to text or call each other, the analogy doesn't really line up.

It wouldn't be a bad thing for the Twitter account to be updated, but expecting these guys to drop everything and address it before all the other real responsibilities in their lives is a bit much. The site was down. That was unfortunate. But it came back. No one died or lost money, or got fired. Again, we're not running a business here. Of course I'd prefer the site to be up, which it is most of the time. But if it's down, I figure they're working on it and it will come back in due time. I'm thankful they want to spend their free time dealing with this stuff at all. Sorry they aren't meeting your performance standards, but in the end they don't owe you anything and they're doing an overall great job.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

With all due respect to Duke and Irish, Skitch would like it known that at no point did he imply or state any complaint about the outage or those who repair said outages. - Skitch's lawyers

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Saying something like...

"Admins, thanks for getting everything up and running again - next time this happens, could you guys post a Tweet or something? "
    might've been more effective than saying things like...

"The down times are annoying. Especially as there have been more & more of them in the last year. People come here every day & they get used to the site being up & expect that.

...why did it take 10 hours for any admin or mod to even acknowledge there was a problem?

This site seems so fragile now...

...it looks to the outside like you're either ignoring the problem or that you don't care.

Does most of this suck? Yeah. But that's the admin job."