Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

1 5.56%
  • Nay

17 94.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suicide Squad (David Ayer)

If Ghostbusters is akin to McDonald's breakfast, what does that mean for Suicide Squad?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    If Ghostbusters is akin to McDonald's breakfast, what does that mean for Suicide Squad?
    Taco Bell Breakfast.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Wonder Woman just needs to get better than a 25% to convince us DC is heading in the right direction.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I dunno...I dont want to sound like a DC fanboy or something, but Im not seriously harsh judging until Justice League. I feel like that is the first entry fully under Geoff Johns watch.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    A Jack In The Box Midnight Munchie Meal.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Ha, I thought Man of Steel was liked more than that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -

- - - - -
    I don't think embargoes matter one way or another. Critics rarely move the needle on a movie like this.

Word of mouth is far more important. People coming out of the theaters on Friday and Saturday night will kill this movie faster than any review, the same way the crowds killed BvS.

It ended up doing $135 mil.

When you compare it BvS, 165 opening, final gross of 330... with a 1.99 multiplyer. I learned today that is the worst multiplayer for a movie that opened over $100 mil ever. So word of mouth obviously killed it.

SS will need to do 268 mil to not end up worse than BvS.

Oversoundtracked and bearing the unmistakable scars of editing weedwackery, this movie has no idea what it is or what it's trying to be. I swear there are a few moments where someone has one emotion on their face in one shot and something else, a totally new tonal beat, in the next damn shot. What's going on? Leto's wandering in from another movie like Jimmy Smits in Star Wars. If it's trying to couch us in confusion like the Squad members as to what's going on, I guess it succeeded? The thing is lumpy all around; you poke a mound here and there and glitter pops out like a lanced boil. I missed several pieces of dialogue because the wicked music was blaring. There are contrivances that go unexplained seemingly only because the movie had stopped caring and assumed we had, too. Van Fucking Helsing had more cohesion than this movie.

[
    ]

Thought they did Waller some justice, though, mostly because of Davis, I suspect.

DC, you are on a roll!
    Last edited by Wryan; 08-08-2016 at 11:54 AM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much free time.

Does anyone believe this was Ayer's cut of the film? Anyone?

Edit: That sounds like being defensive or something. I haven't seen the film, I have no opinion on it yet. Just weird that hes out there saying its his cut. I don't believe it.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Does anyone believe this was Ayer's cut of the film? Anyone?

Edit: That sounds like being defensive or something. I haven't seen the film, I have no opinion on it yet. Just weird that hes out there saying its his cut. I don't believe it.
    Not at all, it's pretty transparent that he's just playing the good, obedient soldier.

He wants to work in Hollywood again so he's not pulling a Trank.

Let's remember he directed Sabotage, Street Kings, and has never ended any of his movies well. There's talent there though.

And he's getting Noomi Rapace in his next movie, so doing one for the system is working out for him.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Let's remember he directed Sabotage, Street Kings, and has never ended any of his movies well. There's talent there though.

And he's getting Noomi Rapace in his next movie, so doing one for the system is working out for him.
    And that horrid movie with Christian Bale. At first I thought he was a generally terrible director, but that tank movie turned out to be pretty darn good so...hes a bit bipolar.

Producer
    Well, I see they make "stomach-churning" an aesthetic now. Of all things, I absolutely cannot believe the editing in this one. However bad many of the drama, action, humor, or attempts to be "cool" may be, they are made worse by the choppy editing that forces the film into the next scene so unnaturally, never letting any feeling to fully form or any sequence to transition smoothly. Probably would sink even lower without Margot Robbie, Will Smith, and Viola Davis (the fact that I almost absent-mindedly typed "and Amanda Waller" just indicates how well she owns the role for me). I admit Robbie's role is horrendously written, but she has plenty of charisma that almost counteracts that successfully.
    Last edited by Peng; 08-14-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    When the movie slowed down in the middle and tried to develop Deadshot, Harley, and the Flag/June dynamics, it almost sorta worked. Even with all the overbearing music cues and choppy editing (let it breathe, for God's sake), I was sort of on-board. Then the blue-lightning ending zapped the fun out of the flick, and the claims by characters that they now had a "new family" was so unconvincing it bordered on hilarious.

Weirdly, though, I found it better than BvS by quite a bit. The story's clearer, its characters are more sympathetic.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It ended up doing $135 mil.

When you compare it BvS, 165 opening, final gross of 330... with a 1.99 multiplyer. I learned today that is the worst multiplayer for a movie that opened over $100 mil ever. So word of mouth obviously killed it.

SS will need to do 268 mil to not end up worse than BvS.
    Currently sits at $262. So it won't do worse than BvS.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    For those who didn't see, an Extended Cut IS coming. So now all of none of you that loved it can watch it with 13 more minutes! (A rate MC 0%!)

I will actually watch it though, mainly out of (morbid) curiosity as to how much it might adhere close to a different version entirely, closer to the details of Ayer's initial cut, with non-dossier style opening. Plus there are moments I did genuinely like in it that I'm naively hoping might be expanded on.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

This was a steaming pile of shit. But I'm not saying anything y'all don't already know.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast