View Poll Results: What say ye about this here tale?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aye! This be a wondrous tale of enchantment, I say!

12 63.16%
  • Cast this out and leave it for the buzzards.

7 36.84%

Thread: The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wow, this was something else, eh? Pattinson continues to grow as a performer, taking on roles that are significant challenges (Cosmopolis, Good Time) or just plain juicy fun to play (The King, The Lost City of Z) and Dafoe is just an actor's actor, a living legend at this point. They are both at their best here, creating magic out of language and expressions and playing off each other's skills and strenghts. I see what Ezee and TGM are saying - Lighthouse is psychological Horror that doesn't really have a lot of meat to its bones, and if one spends the movie waiting for a great fantasy pay-off or a huge plot twist he's bound to be disappointed. But the great achievement of the movie is its unique atmosphere and look and the primal fear and paranoia it successfully evokes. I disagree with Irish that the movie looks like it could have been made decades ago because I don't think it's meant to look like that despite the aspect ratio - I stand closer to Wryan who saw a cinematic interpretation of Doré's old engravings or that type of literary illustration in general.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Wow, this was something else, eh? Pattinson continues to grow as a performer, taking on roles that are significant challenges (Cosmopolis, Good Time) or just plain juicy fun to play (The King, The Lost City of Z) and Dafoe is just an actor's actor, a living legend at this point. They are both at their best here, creating magic out of language and expressions and playing off each other's skills and strenghts. I see what Ezee and TGM are saying - Lighthouse is psychological Horror that doesn't really have a lot of meat to its bones, and if one spends the movie waiting for a great fantasy pay-off or a huge plot twist he's bound to be disappointed. But the great achievement of the movie is its unique atmosphere and look and the primal fear and paranoia it successfully evokes. I disagree with Irish that the movie looks like it could have been made decades ago because I don't think it's meant to look like that despite the aspect ratio - I stand closer to Wryan who saw a cinematic interpretation of Doré's old engravings or that type of literary illustration in general.
    Totally! 10 years ago, would anyone think that Pattinson would be at this level? Makes me more excited for Tenet and Batman after watching this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?