View Poll Results: Banta-Poeddoe or not?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

38 90.48%
  • Nay

4 9.52%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (Abrams 2015) -- SPOILERS THERE ARE.

Another interesting article that questions what The Force Awakens' unoriginality means for big sci-fi movies moving forward: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the...urce=mbtwitter

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    [
    ]
    If they give her way more to do and increase the stakes (sort of the same way they did with Luke on ESB, it will fix all the troubles I have with her.
    [
    ]
    That was legitimately funny (it helps that John Boyega has a great comedic timing). And it's one of the things that makes both of them great together.
    That is super goddamn lame of them, especially given it's really the only legit spoiler in the entire movie.
    Yeah, totes. So malicious.
    One of my bigger disappointments was that Leia was once again relegated to the sidelines. Her lines are mostly expositional, which is a far cry from where that character started. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Rey.
    I have hopes that on the next film Leia will have more to do. The more I think about it, this movie is more about introducing the new players for this new generation. In that regards, it makes sense to give the older cast less time (except for Han, for obvious reasons). In the next they can expand on the characters and Leia could see more time (I mean, someone has to take Han's screentime and both Luke and her can perfectly split said screentime).
    Max Von Sydow's appearance made me chuckle. [
    ]
    [
    ]

What do you mean by giving Rey more to do? She was the core of the whole movie.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    What do you mean by giving Rey more to do? She was the core of the whole movie.
    But I don't think they gave her something to truly explore her potential character flaws or to create some sort of true emotional conflict.
    [
    ]

What I mean is that I hope that on the next movie she is actually force to make some sort of impossible choices, to give her a really emotional struggle. In short, to give her something that could potentially tempt her to the dark side of the force. It could even be [
    ]

Haven't we seen enough "tempted by the dark side" stories, though? Kylo Ren provides a nice contrast to that, but I'd kinda prefer if we could otherwise avoid visiting that well yet again moving forward.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Haven't we seen enough "tempted by the dark side" stories, though? Kylo Ren provides a nice contrast to that, but I'd kinda prefer if we could otherwise avoid visiting that well yet again moving forward.
    Being tempted by the dark side, by negative emotions, by any sort of conflict is a staple of fiction of all kinds. If you have a character, specially one who is very physically powerful like Rey, and you don't give him/her any kind of struggle (and I mean real struggle, the one where there is actual suffering), you're not only going to have a very flat and boring character, the writing will feel lazy.

There are tons of reasons to tempt a character with the dark side which gives us several ways to play that kind of story.

I also think Finn was just as heroic as Rey. Summing him up as a "wannabe hero" (as someone stated earlier in he thread) is unfair.

He shows just as much integrity and heroism as Rey, he just doesn't have badass force powers.

I also think Finn was just as heroic as Rey. Summing him up as a "wannabe hero" (as someone stated earlier in he thread) is unfair.
    Most definitely. I think he might not seem as heroic because, well, he doesn't have Rey's powers and because he seems more reluctant and insecure about it.
    He shows just as much integrity and heroism as Rey, he just doesn't have badass force powers.
    True, true. We're still not sure he doesn't have Jedi powers, though.

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Being tempted by the dark side, by negative emotions, by any sort of conflict is a staple of fiction of all kinds. If you have a character, specially one who is very physically powerful like Rey, and you don't give him/her any kind of struggle (and I mean real struggle, the one where there is actual suffering), you're not only going to have a very flat and boring character, the writing will feel lazy.

There are tons of reasons to tempt a character with the dark side which gives us several ways to play that kind of story.
    Didn't say there shouldn't be conflict of some kind, just that that particular conflict has been done and done again already in this series, and it'd be nice to see something new and fresh instead for a change.

Didn't say there shouldn't be conflict of some kind, just that that particular conflict has been done and done again already in this series, and it'd be nice to see something new and fresh instead for a change.
    If they find another way, I welcome it. I have doubts they'd try that, though.

I'm guessing VIII will have Rey sidelined in a similar way that Luke was when he was with Yoda for a bit.

At the same time, perhaps Kylo will be sidelined with Snook.

So, what would the core be about?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    That's a shame about the Target set, but I was actually at the Disney store today looking for gifts and spotted this:

Was the only multi-character set I saw in the store. Snapped a photo because I had read the discussion above earlier.
    Yeh my GF's nephew got that too. Also snapped a pic.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (Abrams 2015) -- SPOILERS THERE ARE.

Fin performed the single most heroic act in the entire movie, and he did so at the very beginning: he refused to mindlessly follow orders and slaughter the villagers, and later turned on the First Order, giving up the only life he had ever known and making himself a marked man, simply because "it was the right thing to do."

On second thought, that might be the single most heroic act in all of the Star Wars cannon.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Fin performed the single most heroic act in the entire movie, and he did so at the very beginning: he refused to mindlessly follow orders and slaughter the villagers, and later turned on the First Order, giving up the only life he had ever known and making himself a marked man, simply because "it was the right thing to do."

On second thought, that might be the single most heroic act in all of the Star Wars cannon.

Wonderful post.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Anyone think there's any truth to the Internet speculation that Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis?

Anyone think there's any truth to the Internet speculation that Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis?
    There's no evidence so it's anyone's guess. Would be cool. Would be even cooler if that's how Anikan was born. Which means Luke is Plagueis's grandson. Which means Rey is Plagueis's great granddaughter.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    You guys are assuming that

[
    ]
    I've decided I'd rather it be Obi-Wan's daughter instead.

Whoa cool. The original title was going to be "Shadow of the Empire" Not to be confused with Shadows of the Empire.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I've decided I'd rather it be Obi-Wan's daughter instead.
    How are you working out the time frames on that one? Ghost Ben out on the prowl?

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    How are you working out the time frames on that one? Ghost Ben out on the prowl?
    Midichlorians semen?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Midichlorians semen?
    Truly, the force works in mysterious ways...

Winston's right though. I may have overshot that decade. Or maybe Rey was frozen in carbonite as a baby. (I'm just making stuff up)

I don't think there's any specific reason she couldn't be Obi-Wan's granddaughter or great-granddaughter.

I don't care who her parents are. She's a wonderful character regardless.

Both of the young leads are. With these two at the forefront, the future of the franchise is bright.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast