Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 6)

Is it too contradictory that my favorite houses are Greyjoy (pirates, murderers and thieves) and Tyrell (basically representing diplomacy and the love for fine living)?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Nope. I expect a new villain in Season 7 from House Greyjoy. I'm also excited to revisit the reasons why Theon decided to betray Ned.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's much clearer in the books, though I think it was explained in the show as well. Once Theon is relieved of his position as Ned's ward he returns to Pyke and he's regarded as a stranger. None trusts him or respects him because he has remained on firm ground all these years and they all suspect he has become a Stark in effect. His sister mocks him, his favorite uncle has turned into a fundamentalist priest and his father Balon suggests he might be unceremoniously replaced as the rightful heir - which apparently is a very Greyjoy thing to do. So his betrayal of the Starks is a way to regain the respect of his people and his claim to the throne. The Greyjoys still call their leader "King" despite the existence of another monarch in King's Landing so that is even bigger of a deal for them.

Also, in the books Ramsay has already tortured another guy and also called him "Reek". He arrives at Winterfell seeking shelter and is met by Theon who makes fun of him. Creepy foreshadowing.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 06-30-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Another cool note from season 1 that I never realized/bothered to understand. The current summer lasted 9 years. So when they say "winter is coming" in episode 1, it could be months before it actually arrives. In this case, it took 6/7 seasons worth of time.

Tyrion Has seen 9 winter's in his lifetime.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Nope. I expect a new villain in Season 7 from House Greyjoy. I'm also excited to revisit the reasons why Theon decided to betray Ned.
    Pretty sure it'll be Euron.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Pretty sure it'll be Euron.
    Pretty sure that's who I was referring to. He looks like all kind of evil.

Pretty sure that's who I was referring to. He looks like all kind of evil.
    Hope so.

And I'd really like to see The Mountain have a challenge. Maybe Jaime has to get through him to take down Cersei.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Hope so.

And I'd really like to see The Mountain have a challenge. Maybe Jaime has to get through him to take down Cersei.
    How about The Mountain vs The Hound? Brother vs Brother. The Hound finally gets his revenge?

How about The Mountain vs The Hound? Brother vs Brother. The Hound finally gets his revenge?
    Fans obviously want it, but The Hound is going north with the Brotherhood, so I can't see how it'll pan out right now.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I have a feeling THe Hound isn't going to be very loyal with the Brotherhood.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Yeah, after these last two episodes, reading articles about Vinyl's cancellation stating its season budget was $100 million, my first question was: "HOW?"
    Lots of crowd scenes with real people, lots of extras, lots of location shooting, and a list of a dozen producers who have names like Jagger and Scorsese.

Incidentally, rumors I've heard is that Netflix budgets are in this range too. They're throwing big money at some of their shows, because they've got so much of it and don't give a shit (eg: 80 million for ten episodes).

It's the best show on television so I would expect it to have the biggest budget. I just wonder how HBO is making money off it.
    HBO has over 100 million subscribers around the world, and they're the most expensive sub out there. As D7 said, GoT is a reason to subscribe all by itself.

They've also got foreign markets and secondary and tertiary sales, since they don't exist everywhere (Thrones plays on Sky in the UK, for instance.)

Their problem now is that they don't have much lined up to replace Thrones, and their model comfortably rested on people being too lazy to cancel in between seasons (that doesn't work so well with digital subs).

The merchandising for Game of Thrones is probably close to Star Wars-type of levels at this point. Has to be the most successful for all HBO shows by a huge margin.
    I doubt it. GoT targets adults with real jobs (ie, the appeal seems to exist beyond the usual cache of happy nerd fandom).

Do you picture lots of parents buying Ramsay Bolton dolls for their 10 year kids this holiday season?

- - - - -
    Also, if you really want to geek out on the distances thing:

Westeros is Poorly Designed

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I doubt it. GoT targets adults with real jobs (ie, the appeal seems to exist beyond the usual cache of happy nerd fandom).

Do you picture lots of parents buying Ramsay Bolton dolls for their 10 year kids this holiday season?
    No, but I see the Bobbleheads, every board game out there, tons of t-shirts, nerd paraphernalia that easily outdoes anything else. Adult fanfare. Gobbled up like it's a star wars toy.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Also, if you really want to geek out on the distances thing:

Westeros is Poorly Designed
    I hope that guy got college credit for it. Otherwise, the whole thing is pretty damn ridiculous.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    No, but I see the Bobbleheads, every board game out there, tons of t-shirts, nerd paraphernalia that easily outdoes anything else. Adult fanfare. Gobbled up like it's a star wars toy.
    Bobbleheads and tee shirts don't match up to the enormously lucrative licensing market around Star Wars -- which includes a helluva lot of multi-million dollar video games and an entire extended universe made up of almost countless books, comics, posters, making-ofs, coloring books, etc etc. Not to mention enough plastic toys to fill the Grand Canyon.

Sure, maybe Time Warner is turning a decent buck off GoT merch but no way is it in the same league as LucasFilm, because nobody is in that league. (Off hand guess -- and a total guess based on what I've heard other properties are worth-- all the ancillary bullshit around Star Wars is worth $6-10 billion a year, worldwide.)

That's largely driven by a nerd economy and another guess -- a huge portion of Thrones' audience aren't nerds.

Bobbleheads and tee shirts don't match up to the enormously lucrative licensing market around Star Wars -- which includes a helluva lot of multi-million dollar video games and an entire extended universe made up of almost countless books, comics, posters, making-ofs, coloring books, etc etc. Not to mention enough plastic toys to fill the Grand Canyon.

Sure, maybe Time Warner is turning a decent buck off GoT merch but no way is it in the same league as LucasFilm, because nobody is in that league. (Off hand guess -- and a total guess based on what I've heard other properties are worth-- all the ancillary bullshit around Star Wars is worth $6-10 billion a year, worldwide.)

That's largely driven by a nerd economy and another guess -- a huge portion of Thrones' audience aren't nerds.
    Well, I guess I shouldn't compare it to Star Wars. Just the idea that the merch/games/etc is more than any other HBO show out there, and probably by a large margin.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Just got to episode 6 where Ned goes through the book and sees that every Baratheon has black hair. What if Jon Snow was Baratheon and not Targaryen?

Just got to episode 6 where Ned goes through the book and sees that every Baratheon has black hair. What if Jon Snow was Baratheon and not Targaryen?
    Definitely possible. But it wouldn't explain why they talk about Rhaegar so much.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Definitely possible. But it wouldn't explain why they talk about Rhaegar so much.
    Or why Lyanna would be worried that Robert would kill him if he find out he existed.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Or why Lyanna would be worried that Robert would kill him if he find out he existed.
    Yes it would. Remember they killed all of Rob's bastards?

Yes it would. Remember they killed all of Rob's bastards?
    No it wouldn't. Robert didn't try to kill his own bastards, and Robert is who Lyanna was worried about. Cersei tried to kill Robert's bastards so that there would be no threat to her own children's line of succession to the throne. But we are talking way before Robert is even married to Cersei and Lyanna tells Ned of the child "if Robert finds out he'll kill him, you know he will. you have to protect him." Why would Robert want to kill his own child from the only woman he really loved?

Not to mention, the whole rebellion started because Rhygar took Lyanna before Robert could marry her. I doubt they ever fornicated.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    Not to mention, the whole rebellion started because Rhygar took Lyanna before Robert could marry her. I doubt they ever fornicated.
    True. Robert would never obsess that much over a woman that he actually got to have sex with. He'd be on to a different woman.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I really loved that mutual contempt scene between Robert and Cersei way back on Season 1. I only remembed how good it was when I read it in written form a few weeks ago.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast