Page 471 of 524 FirstFirst ... 371421461469470471472473481521 ... LastLast
Results 11,751 to 11,775 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Derek isn't very good, is it? Makes sense Gervais tried something different after Life's too Short, but this is immensely cloying.
    It's fantastic. One of my favorite current shows.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Trailer for Tommy Wiseau's The Neighbors.

I'm sure this is intentionally bad, but wtf?
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

That's from the pilot he shot 5 years ago that never went anywhere because nobody wanted it. I believe the one that is actually going to be released will be a different incarnation.

Here's the actual new teaser:

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Tim & Eric had been trying to get Adult Swim to pick up that first pilot for "The Neighbors" for years to turn it into a series they (Abso-Lutely) would produce because they were in love with it. I'm sure now that there's already been an ABC show with the same name that the dream (at least with that title) is over.

It's kind of amazing to see just how much his own version of fame Wiseau has given him a suitably weird ego with that more newly-shot second teaser, considering it's just a scene of him partying with his own merchandise.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

That sucks. The look of the original teaser is so much more appealing.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    It's kind of amazing to see just how much his own version of fame Wiseau has given him a suitably weird ego with that more newly-shot second teaser, considering it's just a scene of him partying with his own merchandise.
    He's definitely bought into his own hype and doesn't care anymore that his following started ironically. Which is why the teaser has The Room references like the underwear and the short distance football. If you ever meet him, he has no shame throwing out lines and references to The Room or even playing up the way he talks, just to get a reaction from people. You learn to take what you can get, I guess.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    He's definitely bought into his own hype and doesn't care anymore that his following started ironically. Which is why the teaser has The Room references like the underwear and the short distance football. If you ever meet him, he has no shame throwing out lines and references to The Room or even playing up the way he talks, just to get a reaction from people. You learn to take what you can get, I guess.
    Haha I actually have met him, and this is way too accurate. He even initiated a football toss with me and my friends, which Sestero reluctantly obliged to.

But when it comes to Wiseau's view of his work, the Q&A they did later that night demonstrated how kinda oblivious he still is otherwise. He knows people gravitate to certain lines and elements of the movie, but definitely couldn't explain why to you. Of course he has to try to save face by now rewriting the history of it as always being intended as a "dark comedy", because how else would he be able to make sense of it or peace with it?

It's the same naivety and incomprehension that birthed the movie in the first place, only evolved.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Are Tim & Eric taking advantage of a mentally challenged individual? 'Cuz I'm under the impression that Wiseau isn't all there.

Just got tickets for the Tim & Eric & Dr. Steve Brule Tour in San Diego in September. I am beyond excited.

TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Just finished watching the second and last season of CarnivÃ*le. Just a tremendous show with a personality that few others can claim to be imbued with. The casting of Michael J. Anderson seems prophetic as the series goes on to have a feel reminiscent of Twin Peaks, and can in turns be disturbing, dramatic or bizarrely funny. It's also obvious that a lot of research went into the reconstruction of the 1930s, even down to the way people talk.

Why didn't it work? I think if it had come out a few years later, with audiences getting more used to involvement with shows that don't necessarily provide all the answers, it might have. But I'm not that confident with my analysis nor am I a great TV watcher. I just think this is wonderful and am truly sorry I'll never get to know how it was supposed to end.

I finally started watching Scooby Doo Mystery Inc in order on Netflix instead of catching random episodes and just finished the first season. Wow, that's a downer of a season finale. This is probably the only incarnation of Scooby Doo that successfully made Fred the best character on the team.
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)

Just finished watching the second and last season of CarnivÃ*le. Just a tremendous show with a personality that few others can claim to be imbued with. The casting of Michael J. Anderson seems prophetic as the series goes on to have a feel reminiscent of Twin Peaks, and can in turns be disturbing, dramatic or bizarrely funny. It's also obvious that a lot of research went into the reconstruction of the 1930s, even down to the way people talk.

Why didn't it work? I think if it had come out a few years later, with audiences getting more used to getting involved with shows that don't necessarily provide all the answers, it might have. But I'm not that confident with my analysis nor am I a great TV watcher. I just think this is wonderful and am truly sorry I'll never get to know how it was supposed to end.
    Whoo!

It's basically my favorite show, in that it's the kind of show I would want to make in my wildest dreams. The unapologetically serious fusion of history and myth and religion and supernaturalism and darkness and sex (it's so strangely kinky - but so is Greek myth and the Bible). And there's a palpable unease that accompanies the supernaturalism. It feels intrusive and threatening, as opposed to the banal "fantasy" of most monster-of-the-week sci-fi/fantasy shows.

I think you're right that it was probably ahead of its time. Post Game of Thrones and post True Detective, there'd probably be a larger appetite for its measured, relaxed thriller storytelling.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Post Game of Thrones and post True Detective, there'd probably be a larger appetite for its measured, relaxed thriller storytelling.
    Two things I have yet to watch.

But yes, you're right. It's a show that feels deeply perverse as opposed to just weird or sensationalistic like most Horror fiction. I also got the feeling that the writers had a pretty thorough show Bible since the characters and situations have an almost novel-like density. In fact, I wish they'd manage to end the story in any medium.

I'm moving Carnivale next on my list after The Americans S2. Been wanting to watch it for years, just needed a push.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I just think this is wonderful and am truly sorry I'll never get to know how it was supposed to end.
    There's a sort of a "show bible" written by Daniel Knauf floating around, and he's spoken about what he had planned and about the show's wider mythology in interviews. There's a huge amount of information out there if you're willing to look.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I've seen all of it, I think. Watched the current season opener this week and I'm a bit fuzzy on what happened last year [
    ]. Still dig the setting and the lead actor. Lou Diamond Philips is good too and I'd wish they would figure out a way to squeeze him into more stories. The chick from Battlestar is overexposed though. I could actually a touch less of her.
    Ok [
    ]

Phillips is awesome on the show. I actually like whats her name from BSG although her storyline isn't really all that interesting in Season 2.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I watched through the first two seasons of Workaholics over the last couple weeks and it's a funny show. I never watched it because I figured it would be stoner humor but it's actually a quality comedy with great work by the three main stars and Jillian one of the supporting cast.

I also watched the first two episodes of Welcome to Sweden since I saw Amy Poehler executive produced it and I'm not going to watch anymore. I think it's awesome that a primetime show on a major network has about half the show's dialogue in Swedish with subtitles but besides that it's not a very good show. I assume it's supposed to be a comedy but it's not very funny. The characters/storylines are boring and even guest appearances by Poehler & Ferrell don't provide much to laugh about.
    TV Recently Finished:

The dialogue is in Swedish because it's a Swedish show. NBC just acquired it for US broadcast.
    Movie Theater Diary

I dunno if anyone's still watching Masters of Sex, but I wrote about the new season. It got better. http://www.artboiled.com/2014/becoming-better-at-sex/
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm still enjoying it. Haven't had a chance to watch last night's episode yet.

Started rewatching Party Down.

What a show.
    Last movies seen

Last TV seasons watched

Currently reading

I've begun watching this obscure little show called The Games About Thrones. Maybe some of you have heard of it? I'm only about 4 episodes in when the Stark matriarch has the leprechaun arrested.

/seriously trolling
    //but, I am watching it
    ///really good so far
    ////Tyrion is my favorite character.
    /////Lena Headey is captivating.

The dialogue is in Swedish because it's a Swedish show. NBC just acquired it for US broadcast.
    I knew that. I mentioned the Swedish dialogue because I was surprised Nbc was airing a heavily subtitled show during primetime. That's got to be something that almost never happens.
    TV Recently Finished:

In not so surprising news, FX passed on the pilot.
    Movie Theater Diary

In not so surprising news, FX passed on the pilot.
    Grumble grumble grumble...

It's apparently being shopped around, but not sure how high my hopes should be with its outside chances, even considering the caliber of the people involved.

I just don't know how much longer I can deal with the fact that Kaufman's only realized work since Synecdoche is his contributions to Kung Fu Panda 2's script.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)