View Poll Results: Joker (Todd Phillips)

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comedy

13 61.90%
  • Tragedy

8 38.10%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joker (Todd Phillips)

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Joker is a cold blooded murderer without remorse. I sincerely hope no one says "this movie gets me".

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Incels on the internet are loving him.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Oh man I can't wait.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Joker is a cold blooded murderer without remorse. I sincerely hope no one says "this movie gets me".

I sincerely hope Juggalos stop being a thing.

How did this go from being some kind of revelation that got a standing ovation at Venice, to 69% (and dropping) on RT, and most of the positive reviews are barely so?

virtue signalling
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Yes, the left sabotaged Joker.

*eyeroll intensifies*

I didn't say anything about sabotage or the left.

From the first 20 reviews from top critics (through mid-September), it was 50/50 fresh to rotten. So it's actually gone up.

Producer
    really brings out the best in people, this film.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I kinda want to get into details but maybe when more people see it. I like it less the more time I have to think about it.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    How did this go from being some kind of revelation that got a standing ovation at Venice, to 69% (and dropping) on RT, and most of the positive reviews are barely so?
    I hadn't read that it got a standing ovation. I did read that it won the top prize from the jury, but that doesn't necessarily mean it went down well with either the premiere audience or reviewers, which are entirely distinct entities (i.e., industry insiders in evening wear attending a gala event versus underpaid freelancers watching the movie at a barebones daytime press screening). In any event, the response of the premiere audience shouldn't be taken as an indication of how the film was received by reviewers there.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I sincerely hope Juggalos stop being a thing.
    I don't. They're their own thing and, from everything I've read, they leave people alone and just do that thing.

Plus, recently I heard that the ICP clown makeup confuses the shit out of facial recognition algorithms.

Imagine a month from now and seeing news footage of Hong Kong crowds ... and it's a bunch of Chinese juggalos running through the streets.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I hadn't read that it got a standing ovation. I did read that it won the top prize from the jury, but that doesn't necessarily mean it went down well with either the premiere audience or reviewers, which are entirely distinct entities (i.e., industry insiders in evening wear attending a gala event versus underpaid freelancers watching the movie at a barebones daytime press screening). In any event, the response of the premiere audience shouldn't be taken as an indication of how the film was received by reviewers there.
    Standing ovation + the Lion + an insane amount of hype and praise from seemingly all quarters right after the film premiered. The contrast between then and now is stark.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I don't. They're their own thing and, from everything I've read, they leave people alone and just do that thing.

Plus, recently I heard that the ICP clown makeup confuses the shit out of facial recognition algorithms.

Imagine a month from now and seeing news footage of Hong Kong crowds ... and it's a bunch of Chinese juggalos running through the streets.
    Your pro-Juggalo stance will haunt you forever.

I liked it. It’s probably the best movie one could expect to get based off The Joker, and was certainly LEAGUES better than The Killing Joke animated film, as far as cinematic Joker origins stories are concerned. I’ll share my initial thoughts for now, though this is a movie that’s sort of hard to talk about without diving into major spoilers.

Phoenix is a force in this movie. I wouldn’t say he surpasses Ledger’s take, but there are moments where he is truly terrifying [
    ], though there are admittedly times where his delivery doesn’t quite fully altogether work [
    ]. On the whole though, yeah, I dug this. [
    ]

I’ll also add, in regards to this movie being considered “problematic”, [
    ]

Errand Boy
    I was bored. The only daring or interesting thing about the movie was the comically straight way they shot some of the gun violence. Everything else is just plagiarized elements of better movies. What the hell was the point of this? It has no thrills, no insight, Ledger destroys Joaquin's one-note sad sack...I just fail to see why someone would think this worth pursuing. It's like a high schooler "emulating" Hemingway's writing style by simply piling on short declarative sentences.

Producer
    I’m really fascinated by the rewriting of Zazie Beetz’s character from the trashfire incel-fantasy type in Phillips’ first version of the script to the comparatively graceful presence in the final film. They feel like they are written by two different people; would love to read more about it (Beetz herself said the script was being rewritten everyday during shooting, although the actual trajectory of the film barely changes much, just her character, which may be why she feels that way.)
    Last edited by Peng; 10-04-2019 at 01:32 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Can we all agree Leto is the worst Joker portrayal?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Can we all agree Leto is the worst Joker portrayal?
    Yup.

Ledger
    Phoenix
    Nicholson
    Leto

Also, I know it’s still early, but this is sitting quite well with me thus far. The more I think about it, the more it becomes apparent to me just how bone chillingly haunting this movie is at its core. Phoenix definitely succeeds at yet again bringing to life a truly terrifying portrayal of the character.

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I’m really fascinated by the rewriting of Zazie Beetz’s character from the trashfire incel-fantasy type in Phillips’ first version of the script to the comparatively graceful presence in the final film. They feel like they are written by two different people; would love to read more about it (Beetz herself said the script was being rewritten everyday during shooting, although the actual trajectory of the film barely changes much, just her character, which may be why she feels that way.)
    Honestly, if there was ever a movie where being rewritten during production was not only likely to its benefit, but also totally fitting at that, this is that movie.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Joker got an 8 minute standing O?

How about 20 minutes?

https://qz.com/quartzy/1625450/once-...tival-history/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

One guy tried to clap at the end of our showing and stopped pretty abruptly.

Huh. I remember Clerks 2 got 8 minute standing-O but was mysteriously left off that list.

I don't put much stock in such things. I mean, over 20 minutes of listening to people applaud? I'm not sure any film is that good.

I don't want to oversell this movie--it's not perfect--but isn't it obvious Joker is the best comic book movie ever made? The controversy is understandable: here is a film that takes some of the most popular IPs of its generation, presents it on a conveyer belt not-too-dissimilar from the MCU, and manages to shock--not so much with its violence, but rather with its message. Just like those poor kids who saw Spring Breakers in Panama City a few years back and suddenly didn't feel so good, hordes of people will see Joker and feel a little queasy about that comment they made to the weird kid down the hall.

To indict your own audience is a bold move. No wonder Joaquin Phoenix was on board. This is less Avengers--or The Dark Knight even--and more Taxi Driver, You Were Never Really Here, and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Still, it's a movie that understands the gravity of its own box office potential, and furthermore leverages it to telegraph the message that we, as a society--and at nearly every possible level--are failing people like Arthur Fleck. To claim Joker as either the villain or the hero of this story is to stray from the point.

Yes, the new comic book movie has a point. Through indelible acting, editing, cinematography, costuming and music, it's actually communicating something. Some people aren't going to like that. I don't mean to downplay the successes of the MCU (I've liked many of those movies), but for a lot of people right now there are few things more boring than yet another superhero movie with a 90% tomatometer. Isn't it about time we got something like this? Isn't it about time this genre--which has long since perfected its escapist goals--tried something a little different? Joker turns our gaze from the spectacle on the screen toward something inside ourselves that is messy, even frightening, and begs the question: when the chips are down, do we truly have compassion in our hearts?
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 10-04-2019 at 08:54 PM.

That's great, shame none of that was on the screen.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast