Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Light is green!

10 47.62%
  • Light is red.

11 52.38%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters (Paul Feig)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    At first I was like, "Ugh, Red Letter Media," and then the Nostalgia Critic image came up and reminded me how much worse things can be.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    At first I was like, "Ugh, Red Letter Media," and then the Nostalgia Critic image came up and reminded me how much worse things can be.
    I actually thought that was one of NC's better more recent reviews. *shrug*

RLM is almost always hilarious to me, though. I don't even agree with a lot of their reviews, but they're consistently entertaining enough that I oftentimes don't even care.

- - - - -
    I didn't laugh once. Huge letdown from this cast and this director, especially after something like Spy.

Started off kind of okay, but the actual plot is a complete waste of time, and yet another example of the bad guy spending most of the movie getting his ducks in a row in order to unleash some random weapon/cataclysmic event. It is so overused now that it deadens the entire plot; all of the sparring beforehand is pointless because (a) we all know that the promised shit has to go down at the end, so there are no possible narrative surprises and (b) it tends to preclude any personal connections between the characters and whatever gigantic event is being plotted.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I thought McKinnon faced exactly the same problem that Robbie faced in Suicide Squad - a game performer given shit to work with, yet the movie keeps cutting back to them in a desperate attempt to maintain a sense of off-beat humor.... and it mostly just dies. And Hemsworth is hilarious at the start until they ran the one joke into the ground over and over and over and over.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This was so bad.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This was so bad.
    Well I guess that settles it. That last argument convinced me the most.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

There's nothing else to say that others haven't. It was a steaming pile. Worst movie of 2016 so far for me. Nothing redeeming. The reuse of dialog was not homage. It was thoughtless. The finale was generic. Typical laser/portal into the sky with the same original fix. Most of all, it was humorless. Soulless. Who was it that said, when they couldn't think of what to say next, they just made McKinnon make a funny face? Because that was spot on.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Wait, so they reuse dialogue in a movie that doesnt acknowledge its a reboot instead of sequel? Seriously?

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    ....the cameos from the original cast are hilarious and organic to the story.....
    I think we watched different movies. Murray has never had a worse character to play (that I have seen) and Ackroyd is something out of a very, very broad sketch program. Potts and Hudson are just dutiful collect-the-set cardboard characters.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Wait, so they reuse dialogue in a movie that doesnt acknowledge its a reboot instead of sequel? Seriously?
    Yeh. The stuff you clearly remember from the first movie:

mass hysteria
    Total protonic reversal
    Cross the streams

And that's used exactly in this movie. I'm not even counting the other shit. Like, asking the bad guy to be a "cute ghost" which is supposed to be homage to "I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft"

Or McKinnon doing her best Egon by trying to remember this line and failing miserably. "Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."

Or the constant references to the untested "unlicensed nuclear accelerator" on their back.

Anyone else notice how this movie has a mysteriously high RT score?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016

or that they renamed the movie to "Answer the Call" for the Blu-ray release, hoping to sell more?

or that they renamed the movie to "Answer the Call" for the Blu-ray release, hoping to sell more?
    Are you just telling us this as an FYI or do you think there's a problem with this?

You answer my question first and then I'll answer yours.

First, I'm not sure what you're really trying to say there, but I'm not fond of the conspiratorially-worded query because…it's ridiculous.

As for the second question, yes, I know. You got it somewhat wrong, though. It's not some desperate, last-ditch attempt at making more money. That's actually been the title since the theatrical release, I believe. Feig insisted on having the onscreen title read "Ghostbusters," but Sony needed something that would prevent confusion for future release platforms.
    Last edited by Gittes; 10-11-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

73% doesn't seem outrageously high for a fairly innocuous action comedy. I've seen worse. Like Up at 98%. That's nuts.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I'm not sure why the RT score is mysterious? It got a lot of good reviews.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I didn't laugh once.
    Also, I know we just concluded one kerfuffle and I'd hate to ignite another, but: wow. I get that everyone's sense of humour varies and all. It's just...the idea of someone sitting plain-faced through this entire movie almost defies belief. Nary a chuckle nor a chortle?!
    Last edited by Gittes; 10-11-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    Also, I know we just concluded one kerfuffle and I'd hate to ignite another, but: wow. I get that everyone's sense of humour varies and all. It's just...the idea of someone sitting plain-faced through this entire movie almost defies belief. Nary a chuckle nor a chortle?!
    While I personally did chuckle a couple times, I can totally see how someone can come out of this one without a single laugh to be had. The humor in this movie is very hit or miss, and it's either gonna work for you, or it's just flat out not, not too dissimilar from other "love it or hate it" sorta polarizing movies.

- - - - -
    Nary a chuckle nor a chortle?!
    Nope.

If it's anything like the preview, I might go heh a few times at Kate MacKinnon or Wiig, but eyeroll a whole lot more.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It's not a good, but not because of the cast. The storytelling is tiring, the third act a CGI bore, and it tries way to hard to stay close to the original without being its own thing.

Kate McKinnon is a treasure though.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

First, I'm not sure what you're really trying to say there, but I'm not fond of the conspiratorially-worded query because…it's ridiculous.

As for the second question, yes, I know. You got it somewhat wrong, though. It's not some desperate, last-ditch attempt at making more money. That's actually been the title since the theatrical release, I believe. Feig insisted on having the onscreen title read "Ghostbusters," but Sony needed something that would prevent confusion for future release platforms.
    The answer to your question is NO. I don't remember "Answer the Call" being on any trailer or any poster or mentioned anywhere before the Blu-ray was released.

And for the record, I didn't laugh once either. I can't even remember a scene where I could lie and say I laughed.

I didn't laugh once either.
    OK.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast