Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Cut 2010 Better Than List

Match Cut 2010 Better Than List

In honor of everybody's favorite weekly reviewer (who shall remain nameless), I thought we ought to have our own orgy of contrarianism, full of personal attacks and unqualified statements. And who better to kick it off than yours truly?

Barbe bleue and Eccentricities of a Blonde Haired Girl are BETTER THAN Inception. Stories within stories have been around as long as there have been stories, but Catherine Breillat and Manoel de Oliveira are modest and playful where Christopher Nolan is portentous and humorless. Breillat and de Oliveira also know things about mise en scène that Nolan never bothered to learn.

Last Train Home is BETTER THAN I Am Love. When it comes to stories about familial turmoil and globalization, I much prefer Lixin Fan's moving documentary about Chinese migrant laborers to Luca Guadagnino's half-baked Visconti ripoff.

The Misfortunates is BETTER THAN The American. Felix van Groenineg's raucous loser comedy affirmed American pop culture's ability to bridge cultures, while Anton Corbijn's Euro-trash thriller used anti-Americanism as a political tease. The sheer pleasure that van Groenineg's characters take in Roy Orbison's music is the perfect antidote to Corbijn's joyless Le Samouraï ripoff, in which the chilly style drains whatever fun there might have been from the ridiculous and predictable story: We're not meant to enjoy the film so much as admire it from a distance for its "perfection."

The Trotsky is BETTER THAN Shutter Island. Both of these movies are about characters with identity issues, but where Martin Scorsese's ahistorical period neo-noir argues that nothing is real--not even the horror of the concentration camps, which are exploited as a sexy turn on and then forgotten--Jacob Tierny's spirited teen comedy has the audacity to suggest that the life of Leon Trotsky is still relevant to today.

Women Without Men is BETTER THAN Everyone Else, The Kids Are All Right, Please Give, and Winter's Bone. Shirin Neshat's debut feature--a magic-realist network narrative set against the backdrop of the 1953 Iranian coup d'état--has received far less attention than these other films directed by women, but it has more chutzpah than all of them put together.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

That Shutter Island criticism makes no sense. The horrors led Leo to alcoholism, and I can't think of the "sexy turn-on"

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    That Shutter Island criticism makes no sense. The horrors led Leo to alcoholism, and I can't think of the "sexy turn-on"
    [
    ]
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    [
    ]
    That's one of the things that seems to have never been disregarded. That's how he acquired the skills to be able to become so dangerous after all.

As for that "sexy turn-on?"

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That's one of the things that seems to have never been disregarded.
    Why do you say that, apart from the fact that they don't mention it during the denouement? As for the sexy turn on, they throw it in as part of his character's back story, and then disregard it along with everything else--or at least that's my inference.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I'm adding spoiler tags. Also, based on what I can remember ...

[
    ]
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Why do you say that, apart from the fact that they don't mention it during the denouement? As for the sexy turn on, they throw it in as part of his character's back story, and then disregard it along with everything else--or at least that's my inference.
    [
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

[
    ]
    Maybe I need to take another look at it, because the way I'm remembering it is [
    ]
    Just because...

The (New) World

Also, feel free to post your own better than lists.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Yeah, I'm not sure myself and I watched like a week ago. I think I agree with your central point though, that the film is ultimately more about tricking the audience than it is about something tangible and meaningful.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Maybe I need to take another look at it, because the way I'm remembering it is [
    ]
    You're partially right.

[
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Yeah, I'm not sure myself and I watched like a week ago. I think I agree with your central point though, that the film is ultimately more about tricking the audience than it is about something tangible and meaningful.
    [
    ]

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In honor of everybody's favorite weekly reviewer (who shall remain nameless), I thought we ought to have our own orgy of contrarianism, full of personal attacks and unqualified statements. And who better to kick it off than yours truly?

Barbe bleue and Eccentricities of a Blonde Haired Girl are BETTER THAN Inception. Stories within stories have been around as long as there have been stories, but Catherine Breillat and Manoel de Oliveira are modest and playful where Christopher Nolan is portentous and humorless. Breillat and de Oliveira also know things about mise en scène that Nolan never bothered to learn.

Last Train Home is BETTER THAN I Am Love. When it comes to stories about familial turmoil and globalization, I much prefer Lixin Fan's moving documentary about Chinese migrant laborers to Luca Guadagnino's half-baked Visconti ripoff.

The Misfortunates is BETTER THAN The American. Felix van Groenineg's raucous loser comedy affirmed American pop culture's ability to bridge cultures, while Anton Corbijn's Euro-trash thriller used anti-Americanism as a political tease. The sheer pleasure that van Groenineg's characters take in Roy Orbison's music is the perfect antidote to Corbijn's joyless Le Samouraï ripoff, in which the chilly style drains whatever fun there might have been from the ridiculous and predictable story: We're not meant to enjoy the film so much as admire it from a distance for its "perfection."

The Trotsky is BETTER THAN Shutter Island. Both of these movies are about characters with identity issues, but where Martin Scorsese's ahistorical period neo-noir argues that nothing is real--not even the horror of the concentration camps, which are exploited as a sexy turn on and then forgotten--Jacob Tierny's spirited teen comedy has the audacity to suggest that the life of Leon Trotsky is still relevant to today.

Women Without Men is BETTER THAN Everyone Else, The Kids Are All Right, Please Give, and Winter's Bone. Shirin Neshat's debut feature--a magic-realist network narrative set against the backdrop of the 1953 Iranian coup d'état--has received far less attention than these other films directed by women, but it has more chutzpah than all of them put together.
    As for me Jackass 3D is a better movie then Greenberg. Call it performance art or just being stupid, but it sure beats middle-aged men being stupid.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The Trotsky was pretty fun, but it was so badly acted. Esp. by Jay Baruchel.

I'll think of some additions to this thread soon.

As for me Jackass 3D is a better movie then Greenberg. Call it performance art or just being stupid, but it sure beats middle-aged men being stupid.
    Greenberg is a film about an immature middle-aged man, which is different from an immature film.
    Just because...

The (New) World

That Armond picture is so amazing. "Yo kid, I'll buy you an ice cream and take you to Crank. No pedo!"

TRON: Legacy is BETTER THAN Inception. Where Inception can prove trying, TRON: Legacy is a smooth, fun ride around neon-lighted rooms, Holocaust parables and skin-tight leather-clad Olivia Wilde.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Poetry is BETTER THAN Inception. They both have actors, but Poetry's actors are Asian.

Legend of the Guardians is BETTER THAN How to Train Your Dragon.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I thought I was the only person who saw Trotsky. Great movie. Jay Baruchel's best role.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I thought I was the only person who saw Trotsky. Great movie. Jay Baruchel's best role.
    He was bad in it, though.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Poetry is BETTER THAN Inception. They both have actors, but Poetry's actors are Asian.
    Tougher than it looks, isn't it?
    Just because...

The (New) World

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    That Armond picture is so amazing. "Yo kid, I'll buy you an ice cream and take you to Crank. No pedo!"
    Indeed! I love his fashion sense. Those motorcycle patterns are hip.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    Indeed! I love his fashion sense. Those motorcycle patterns are hip.
    He's a rebel. The motorcycle is symbolic of his disdain for the new cultural norms.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

This is better than That. While That brings thematic intrigue to the table This packs more of an emotional punch.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast