Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO's A Game of Thrones

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    I can't lie and say that the subject matter is all that interesting to me--fantasy is a genre that does not agree with me--but I'm glad to see underutilized Jennifer Ehle get some work. She rocks.

You should give the first book a chance if you're ever looking for something to read.

There's some great morality play going on, and my earlier comparison to Shakespeare is one that I've seen echoed in reviews.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    :lol:

I just hope he doesn't pull a Robert Jordan and decide this series needs to be 3000000000000000 books long.

I hope one more and it's done. A nice 5 book series.
    I so knew Jordan would die before finishing, and then he went and did it. I'll prob finish the series once the new guy wraps them up though. I've put in way too much time not to find out how everything comes together by the end. I think I just have the 12 book and the new stuff left. Still, what a prick, he went back and wrote prequels before finishing the series. Ass.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I so knew Jordan would die before finishing, and then he went and did it. I'll prob finish the series once the new guy wraps them up though. I've put in way too much time not to find out how everything comes together by the end. I think I just have the 12 book and the new stuff left. Still, what a prick, he went back and wrote prequels before finishing the series. Ass.

I've never even attempted those books.

From what I hear, after about book 7 or 8, they don't even make sense anymore.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I've never even attempted those books.

From what I hear, after about book 7 or 8, they don't even make sense anymore.
    They make sense, they're just incredibly sprawling. There's way too many characters at that point and the story barely progresses. However there are still moments of excellence. Book Ten has such a moment. I can't speak to the quality of the writing because I read them when I was much younger and the more recent ones have a nostalgic value for me since I care about the characters. However based upon nostalgic memories I'd really recommend the first five books. The world building is excellent. But bear in mind that the story in the first book doesn't really kick off until page 100 or so.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Screw this show, when's the fifth book coming out? I've been saving the fourth so I can read them together.
    We've been waiting so long already...:cry:

I think if the HBO show becomes popular and the sales of his books increase I hope he will feel the pressure of finishing the series then.

[
    ]

Looks like a re-read is in order for me, too
    The series has a lot of elements of that too, I think that's why people like it so much.

I think I will re-read the series when the fifth book finally gets a release date. Probably somewhere in 2010.

Some pics of the cast and George RR Martin from a book signing in Belfast:

Maisie Williams (Arya)

Sophie Turner (Sansa)

Ron Donachie (Ser Rodrik Cassel)

GRRM with most of the Stark cast. From left to right Ron Donachie (Ser Rodrik Cassel), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), GRRM, Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and Richard Madden (Robb Stark).

I think the Stark kids cast looks great together. They all look like how I pictured them from the books. And George needs to get some exercise... he doesn't look healthy.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I'm about 150 pages into this and finding it near impossible to put down. I'm now ridiculously excited for this series, enough so that I'll be ordering HBO as soon as it's set to air. Looking through the cast pictures, and keeping in mind that I've only scratched the surface of this universe, the only role that seems terribly miscast is Robert Baratheon. He's supposed to be a foot taller than most any other man in the kingdom, and though he's grown fat, he's still supposed to be an imposing figure. His personality is fierce and temperamental, just as quick to shout someone down as to loudly laugh with them. None of those attributes call to mind Mark Addy.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I'm about 150 pages into this and finding it near impossible to put down. I'm now ridiculously excited for this series, enough so that I'll be ordering HBO as soon as it's set to air. Looking through the cast pictures, and keeping in mind that I've only scratched the surface of this universe, the only role that seems terribly miscast is Robert Baratheon. He's supposed to be a foot taller than most any other man in the kingdom, and though he's grown fat, he's still supposed to be an imposing figure. His personality is fierce and temperamental, just as quick to shout someone down as to loudly laugh with them. None of those attributes call to mind Mark Addy.
    They'll probably use visual trickery to make that happen.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    They'll probably use visual trickery to make that happen.
    Exactly. It's much easier to make a large man taller than a tall man fatter. Addy has a kind of presence that could translate to such a character with proper tricks.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Exactly. It's much easier to make a large man taller than a tall man fatter. Addy has a kind of presence that could translate to such a character with proper tricks.
    To me, it's the character's personality that doesn't fit Addy, but perhaps my exposure to Addy has been too limited. He seems to jovial in nature to be a good Robert.

I've also mostly seen him in jovial roles, but I suppose they know what they're doing.

When does this premiere? Have they announced?

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    When does this premiere? Have they announced?
    Spring 2011.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Tommy Carcetti just cast as Littlefinger. Love it.

I might finally get around to reading these books. I have the first one sitting around somewhere.

I recently played the card game based on the books, and it was really good.

ritch:

Welcome to the family, KF

Quote Quoting ThePlashyBubbler (view post)
    Tommy Carcetti just cast as Littlefinger. Love it.
    Wow, they're not fooling around on the casting. Gillen is PERFECT for this part.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    ritch:

Welcome to the family, KF
    Thanks man. I'm already halfway through and loving every page. I feel foolish for putting this off for so long.

I wanna read it but nobody will loan it to me and I'm broke. It's not even on Bookmooch.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I wanna read it but nobody will loan it to me and I'm broke. It's not even on Bookmooch.
    I can send you mine when I'm done. I got it from BookMooch. It's a small paperback, but it's in pretty good shape.

I can send you mine when I'm done. I got it from BookMooch. It's a small paperback, but it's in pretty good shape.
    Woo! I can send you something in trade if you like. (Like a strange, under-the-table bookmooch.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Woo! I can send you something in trade if you like. (Like a strange, under-the-table bookmooch.)
    Ha! Not necessary. I'm so backed up on books because of school that it would take me years to get caught up. I'll let you know as soon as I finish it, and you can PM me your address.

Glad to see more fans of this series! ritch: Wish I could read book 3 for the first time again. Really love that one.

I think the thread needs to be renamed, because I believe HBO will just call the whole series "Game of Thrones" instead of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast