Page 1615 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 615111515151565160516131614161516161617162516651715 ... LastLast
Results 40,351 to 40,375 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    Oh, I get it. Because they're jokes. I get it. Actually, I think a more apt comparison would be to Tarantino. Both in terms of quality of work over the past decade, and public perception.

People want to act like Kanye is just a megalomaniacal douche (which he can be), but forget about his music. Even if you thought Yeezus was utter trash (I know plenty of people that do), it's imprint on the year is undeniable. A song like New Slaves rings truer when you hear about stories like this. Shit is happening out here, folks.
    More so I think he is and has always been a hack musician who makes disposable music. I listen to a lot of hip hop and have never liked a single one of his albums. His flow is average at best, his lyrics empty. He has the odd single here and there (Power, Heard 'em Say, Black Skinhead is alright) but that's about it. Bound 2 is one of his weakest. I'd sum up his work with this line from one of his tracks.

"Always said if I rapped I’d say somethin’ significant
    But now I’m rappin’ ’bout money, hoes, and rims again."

Basically he has just enough awareness to recognize that his career is built upon a shallow foundation but not enough skill or insight to do anything about it. Is he better than the lowest common denominator rappers? Sure, at least he tries to find a new sound album to album. Are the tracks good? In my opinion they mostly are not.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Kanye has some good songs, but Bound 2 is atrocious and makes me want a sequel to the Gershon movie.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Kanye has some good songs, but Bound 2 is atrocious and makes me want a sequel to the Gershon movie.
    :lol: I admit, I have been doing a lot of double takes every time someone mentions this song.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm almost finished Boderland 2 + DLC... Perfect timing for the newly coming Christmas DLC.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So my holiday schedule is pretty much finalized, since it starts Friday. It's on iteration #5, but hasn't changed much since the 2nd one, only a minor tweak here and there, which is a change from the last couple years where it's been overhauled 4 or 5 times leading into the actual schedule.
    I hate that it's pretty front loaded, with me working 5 of the first 7 days (21st and 23rd-26th) and the 2 days leading in (wed and thur this week) so that's 7 of the next 10 days of 13 hour shifts. But then I only work 2 days between the 27th and January 6th when our normal schedule resumes, so I can't complain, especially since my squad's already off the 6th and 7th as well.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Do you work at Walmart?

No, I'm in the Army, we're a 24/7 365 mission unit, with a minimum of 7 "on the clock" at all times. Every three months our squads rotate between 6:00am to 6:00pm (plus shift changeover time) and 6:00pm to 6:00+am. Normally we work in our roughly 10 man squads, but during the 2 week holiday season there's a bit of variety and co-mingling to get in as much leave for people who want to go home as we are able, and then the leftovers typically will get off a few days around either Christmas or New Years. I'm in the work Christmas off New Years set this year.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    No, I'm in the Army, we're a 24/7 365 mission unit, with a minimum of 7 "on the clock" at all times. Every three months our squads rotate between 6:00am to 6:00pm (plus shift changeover time) and 6:00pm to 6:00+am. Normally we work in our roughly 10 man squads, but during the 2 week holiday season there's a bit of variety and co-mingling to get in as much leave for people who want to go home as we are able, and then the leftovers typically will get off a few days around either Christmas or New Years. I'm in the work Christmas off New Years set this year.
    My brother was able to get the 23rd-3rd off. I probably won't see him for a long, long time after that since he'll be in Hawaii.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Probably the words I dread most at work are "It doesn't hurt to ask." That means I'm about to do something that will make me look very foolish.

BOSS: Hey, could you call this association and see if they will just e-mail over those documents you need?

ME: Um... these are documents that they charge for. Like, $250. They're not going to give them to me for free.

BOSS: Give them a call. It doesn't hurt to ask.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Probably the words I dread most at work are "It doesn't hurt to ask." That means I'm about to do something that will make me look very foolish.

BOSS: Hey, could you call this association and see if they will just e-mail over those documents you need?

ME: Um... these are documents that they charge for. Like, $250. They're not going to give them to me for free.

BOSS: Give them a call. It doesn't hurt to ask.
    I have a person like this in my life too. I assume that what they mean by this phrase is 'It doesn't hurt [me] to [have you] ask.'
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

In these situations, if I already know the outcome, I just pretend I do it, and approach with what the outcome would actually be.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

"Hi, I was asked by my supervisor to call and ask if ...." blah blah blah. Shift that responsibility!

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    "Hi, I was asked by my supervisor to call and ask if ...." blah blah blah. Shift that responsibility!
    I do that in e-mails ALL THE TIME.

"Per _________, would it be possible to [unreasonable demand]?"

It works best with those who know her, because they know my boss doesn't use e-mail so they know that the request comes directly from her.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Serious first world problems:

1. Forgot to update my podcasts this morning before leaving for work - no podcasts to listen to on my commute.
    2. My Vita didn't charge so I couldn't play it on the bus.
    3. Didn't bring my iPad because I brought my Vita
    4. All my books are packed so I didn't have anything in my bag to read.

I was bored for a bit today.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Ugh, this conversation is the musical equivalent of praising Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich.
    How does discussing one of the most critically acclaimed musicians of the past decade equate to a conversation about Bay/Emmerich? Kanye has edged further and further away from mainstream popularity with each album. Disliking his music is probably closer to the plebeian viewpoint right now. He kind of lost me at Yeezus, too, but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is still one of the best albums ever.

I do agree that he's generally and historically a weak lyricist (in the most technical sense), but that doesn't necessarily mean the music is bad. For example, Eminem basically crushes him as a lyricist in every technical respect (rhymes, wit, flow, storytelling, etc.), but he still doesn't generate better songs. Beastie Boys are all-time terrible lyricists, but still well-regarded to this day.

Also, I got no problem with Miley.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

- - - - -

About Your Blog

Some of you with blogs can write well. You people really need to update more often.

Some you who don't have blogs should start one. Or at least a twitter account. Or something.

There are people out here in the ether that are dying to read good stuff.

That is all.

Nobody reads blogs these days.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Nobody reads blogs these days.
    People like you are the problem, Syco.

Believe it or not, I've read your blog before. A typical reaction from me: "Wow, this is really cool!" ... Followed by "Goddamit, why doesn't he post more often?"

If it takes you longer than 140 characters to communicate your point, I don't have time for you.
    #twitterforlife

I'm actually hoping to get a new personal blog started some time soon. It'll have my literature/movie/Japan stuff while my other one will be more my video games and comics and other creative projects. I need to massively reorganize my web presence (though I can't really expect I'll be updating them that much more than I currently do).

And I'm actually genuinely surprised you read it, and almost floored by the fact you liked anything on it.

One of the problems with running a blog is not only are they rarely read, you basically never get feedback on them. Most commentary on Internet articles these days takes place on Facebook or Twitter, while the only on-site comments are idiotic, paranoid rants about religion and politics.

I started my new blog mainly for myself, since I stopped doing Goodreads. Just a place for me to catalog and keep my thoughts on the SF I read.

But yeah - not getting comments and feedback sucks. When we were doing genrebusters we had 1,000s of hits on our reviews and podcasts each month, but rarely did anyone ever say a damn thing to us. Probably all bots.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    And I'm actually genuinely surprised you read it, and almost floored by the fact you liked anything on it.
    Why would you be surprised? You linked to it from here!

I totally dig your blog, and was impressed by all the stuff you talked about & the games you were putting out there. The level of creativity blew me away.

One of the problems with running a blog is not only are they rarely read, you basically never get feedback on them. Most commentary on Internet articles these days takes place on Facebook or Twitter, while the only on-site comments are idiotic, paranoid rants about religion and politics.
    Truth. That's the part, I think, most people don't realize. You've got to be okay with toiling away in the dark unknown, for years, before you get any traction. Even then it's not guaranteed. You've got to make peace with nobody giving a shit for a long, long time.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    You've got to make peace with nobody giving a shit for a long, long time.
    I keep telling myself that by the time I record 50 albums (18 more to go) I might have my big breakthrough and make $100. Almost there!

- - - - -
    @D_Davis I don't know if album cover art is still a thing anyone cares about, but that illustration you posted above strikes me as severely cool album cover art.