Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 6)

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    They somehow managed to get every character on screen this time, but it sure felt rushed doing so. We'll have to accept that there will be episodes that characters get skipped over.

Anyway, is it really shocking of the Melisandre reveal at the end? I guess I feel like I already saw that happen in my mind's eye.
    Team Bran's fate remains conspicuously unrevealed. I was hoping to find out what happened tho them more than what happened to Jon Snow, actually, cuz, you know, Hodor.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Hodor.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Team Bran's fate remains conspicuously unrevealed. I was hoping to find out what happened tho them more than what happened to Jon Snow, actually, cuz, you know, Hodor.
    I caught the first 5 seconds of next week's teaser and looks to be a Bran episode. Kinda funny how much h'es aged since he didn't show up at all in Season 5.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm convinced we haven't seen the end of Jon Snow.
    Well, his body is still hanging around conspicuously. There was no closure. No 'his watch has ended'. They used his death as a cliffhanger, unlike past deaths where they gave you an episode to let it sink in. The two beings you'd want to be there are there (Ghost and Melisandre). Davos teased her powers (you haven't seen what I've seen her do). Something's definitely up.

I'm still assuming that it's a standard Joseph Campbell death and rebirth situation we're dealing with.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I was telling my friends last night that it would've been great if there was a "leak" that Kit Harington is scheduled to appear in 5 episodes this season and people get hyped for it and then he spends those 5 episodes just playing a corpse on a table before someone finally burns Jon's body.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Anyway, is it really shocking of the Melisandre reveal at the end? I guess I feel like I already saw that happen in my mind's eye.
    Not shocking, but really unsettling considering Melisandre's absolute confidence in past seasons. For me, it was less about this character not being what she seemed (standard witch lore should tell us that), but more about watching the breakdown of the last character we would ever think could lose faith.

Also, I was trying to remember if Melisandre was wearing her necklace in all of Van Houten's past nude scenes. I might have to watch them all again to make sure.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I was telling my friends last night that it would've been great if there was a "leak" that Kit Harington is scheduled to appear in 5 episodes this season and people get hyped for it and then he spends those 5 episodes just playing a corpse on a table before someone finally burns Jon's body.
    Yeah, I had the comparison to Hammill only being in 30 seconds of Force Awakens run through my head as Harington's name came up in the opening credits.

[
    ]
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Liam Cunningham was hilarious in this episode, with the way he responded to Thorne. Brilliant actor.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Also, I was trying to remember if Melisandre was wearing her necklace in all of Van Houten's past nude scenes. I might have to watch them all again to make sure.
    She was not.

Liam Cunningham was hilarious in this episode, with the way he responded to Thorne. Brilliant actor.
    Speaking of hilarious, that Dothraki scene was very Mel Brooks.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

She was not.
    I'll take one for the team and double check.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

OR... he is resurrected, and then immediately killed by a Walker, and burned.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    She was not.
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I'll take one for the team and double check.
    I just did a Google Image search of the character and it seems like she has it on in almost every scene that pops up except for screencaps from a more recent nude scene, which, considering the nature of such a scene, makes sense to slip up creatively. Assuming she even knew its significance at the time, Van Houten / the-powers-that-be could've just forgotten, or the director of that episode and other people in charge of such things never got the memo.

But she even wore it during her shadow birth! That's commitment!
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I just did a Google Image search of the character and it seems like she has it on in almost every scene that pops up except for screencaps from a more recent nude scene, which, considering the nature of such a scene, makes sense to slip up creatively. Assuming she even knew its significance at the time, Van Houten / the-powers-that-be could've just forgotten, or the director of that episode and other people in charge of such things never got the memo.
    Might have to pull a George Lucas and 'Special Edition' it back in.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Not shocking, but really unsettling considering Melisandre's absolute confidence in past seasons. For me, it was less about this character not being what she seemed (standard witch lore should tell us that), but more about watching the breakdown of the last character we would ever think could lose faith.
    It didn't strike me as a loss of confidence moment, though. She seemed like she was just going to sleep and removed it the way I remove my contact lenses.

This is assuming the necklace has anything to do with it, which I didn't even think it did until people started talking about checking previous scenes.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    It didn't strike me as a loss of confidence moment, though. She seemed like she was just going to sleep and removed it the way I remove my contact lenses.
    I don't think it was as innocuous as that. The show seemed to be strongly suggesting a loss of faith. Stannis is gone, and none of Melisandre's visions have come to fruition. The many sacrifices and bad deeds for the sake of fulfilling the Red God's prophesies have been for naught. What point is there now to keep up appearances? With Stannis gone, her external confidence in her own powers will not convince anyone, most of all herself, of anything. The scene certainly conveys a sense of resignation that she has led a very long, and suddenly meaningless, existence.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

This is assuming the necklace has anything to do with it, which I didn't even think it did until people started talking about checking previous scenes.
    I'll have to watch it again. I may have read into it.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Speaking of hilarious, that Dothraki scene was very Mel Brooks.
    I'm curious, how so? The tossed-off vulgarities?

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I don't think it was as innocuous as that. The show seemed to be strongly suggesting a loss of faith. Stannis is gone, and none of Melisandre's visions have come to fruition. The many sacrifices and bad deeds for the sake of fulfilling the Red God's prophesies have been for naught. What point is there now to keep up appearances? With Stannis gone, her external confidence in her own powers will not convince anyone, most of all herself, of anything. The scene certainly conveys a sense of resignation that she has led a very long, and suddenly meaningless, existence.
    All done without any dialog whatsoever. Well done on Carice's part for that role.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I wonder also if she is trying to shed her younger appearance, to hide from what she's done. I'm pretty sure that Davos is unaware that she convinced Stannis to burn his daughter at the stake - who Davos was very fond of. When/if he finds out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    I'm curious, how so? The tossed-off vulgarities?
    No, when the Khal said nothing is better than seeing a woman naked for the first time, and everyone started listing better things.
    Movie Theater Diary

No, when the Khal said nothing is better than seeing a woman naked for the first time, and everyone started listing better things.
    Are you sure this didn't happen in your (quite gifted) imagination?

Anyhow, this article deals with the final scene. I didn't read into it as much as DavidSeven did but maybe he's right. I also assume the necklace has the spell and that every nude scene of hers without it must be a goof.

No, no, I heard that part, I understood that you said the rest of the Dothraki started mentioning the other four things, which would've been awesome.

By the way, IIRC, the Dothraki now plan to confine Danerys to a sort of monastery, right?

They did. Here's the full exchange:

Khal: Seeing a beautiful woman naked for the first time... What is better than that?
    Dothraki #1: Killing another Khal.
    Khal: ...Yes, killing another Khal.
    Dothraki #2: Conquering a city and taking her people as slaves and taking her idols back to Vaes Dothrak.
    Dothraki #1: Breaking a wild horse and forcing it to submit to your will.
    Khal: Seeing a beautiful woman naked for the first time is among the five best things in life!

Anyway, I found that a very History of the World-ish joke.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast