Thread: Braden shares some comic book favorites

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    No, it just looks like photographs of mannequins covered in saran wraps. They feel extremely lifeless, and his subject matters are anything but.
    I agree.

Great cover/poster artist, but not so great at interiors.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I agree.

Great cover/poster artist, but not so great at interiors.
    I'm having problems with his art in general, but this is so true. The best work Alex Ross has ever done were the series of "real world problems" books he did with Paul Dini, because they were illustrated novellas, not comics, so it was pretty much a series of paintings. The problem is he doesn't know visual storytelling, and you try to read his comics and it's just one tiny painting after another; no sense of panel continuity whatsoever.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I've always had small quibbles with Ross' art having very little distinction between character faces, and characters looking like they have balloons for muscles. But his images are just so darn pretty.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I see all of you guys objections about Alex Ross and I raise you a Tim Bradstreet:

That guy is just as photorealistic and a hell of a lot more expressive.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'm having problems with his art in general, but this is so true. The best work Alex Ross has ever done were the series of "real world problems" books he did with Paul Dini, because they were illustrated novellas, not comics, so it was pretty much a series of paintings. The problem is he doesn't know visual storytelling, and you try to read his comics and it's just one tiny painting after another; no sense of panel continuity whatsoever.
    This is true, nicely said. Ross really doesn't understand the art of sequential story-telling. As you said, each panel is merely a small painting, and while they look nice, there is almost no context between the panels. In comic books, it is important for the artist to suggest what happens in between the panels - the stuff we don't see is just as, if not more, important than the stuff we do see. And while Ross shows us some awesome stuff, I never get the sense that anything else is going on.

I do like his posters he did for G-Force - those are pretty awesome.