Thread: Expanse (Season 5)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Expanse (Season 5)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I wondered if you were still watching this.

Oh yeh. All caught up.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Apparently the book this season is based on is what many fans consider to be the best so far in the series, so I'm excited.

Also, I think I read that this is a 9-book series (with 8 published as of now, including a slew of related short stories in between), so we are halfway there!
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Apparently the book this season is based on is what many fans consider to be the best so far in the series, so I'm excited.

Also, I think I read that this is a 9-book series (with 8 published as of now, including a slew of related short stories in between), so we are halfway there!
    Wouldn't be so sure about that.

This has been some of the best world building I've seen in a series. Super bummed they are ending it, what appears to be, early.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-exp...ng-1234621032/

I dunno, the show had a lot of promise but I gave up early in season 2.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    It got good when it hit Amazon

Producer
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Wouldn't be so sure about that.

This has been some of the best world building I've seen in a series. Super bummed they are ending it, what appears to be, early.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-exp...ng-1234621032/
    My first thought is that finally I would get to read the books sooner than I expected. Then I was similarly worried if it means shortchanging the narrative in some ways, so I take a peep at the TV group I am in with people who have read the book. And I think I'm reassured? Their comments: "This seemingly means they decided to not figure out how they would do books 7-9." "yeah, it seems like the most obvious choice. It would be very hard to adapt the final books so I don’t fault them for not going for it." "At first I was annoyed they were not able to adapt all the books, but to be honest book 6 has a pretty definitive ending and would probably be a satisfying place to finish."

It got good when it hit Amazon
    But that's only last season, and season 4 is the weakest! (though still very good)
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I'm surprised you can finish season 1 (which I struggled with at times) but abandon it during when both the pacing and momentum pick way up.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    M]But that's only last season, and season 4 is the weakest! (though still very good)
    I forgot, second weakest*. After I replied to Yxklyx I remembered Season 1 hadn't convinced me yet it's anything special.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Meh. First episode did not grab us.

Producer
    Meh. First episode did not grab us.
    Finally started this season and yeah. I think it's solid enough but so very table-setting, which is understandable enough because it seems like the main characters are going to spend this season mostly apart?

I do hope we get more of Amos/Avasarala scenes in the future though, because they are two strong, different personalities that are hilarious together. "I'm a member of parliament, not your favorite stripper." "You could be both."
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I'm surprised you can finish season 1 (which I struggled with at times) but abandon it during when both the pacing and momentum pick way up.
    The show has an anti-science vibe (maybe even agenda) - that's ok if that's what it wants to do but it made me lose interest.

This season has been incredible. Wife and I are on the final two episodes and it's by far the best ladder half of a season.

Producer
    I just finished the sixth one, two episodes after the one where a world-building-altering event happened, and it's been wild since.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Finished the season. Excellent last 4 episodes.

Except the hilarious terrible write off of Alex. LOL. He got Metooed to the moon.

Started watching season 1 first episode. Wish it was in 4K although the surround sound is pretty kickass. Solid start, I understand it gets better though.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Does it improve dramatically? I got up to three episodes in Season 1 and... meh.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Season one is a struggle, I was underwhelmed with how the finale was handled, so I basically never continued.
    I have remained spoiler-free, though.

Agreed that Season 1 is a struggle. But it sets up the other seasons really nicely. The latest season being the BEST so far IMO.

Producer
    Now that I'm done, I can see it working as a book, but as a show this is fractured even more than Season 4, with the core cast separating into their own storylines, and I feel the showrunners slightly miscalibrate the weight of each one. This season already scales down from the cosmic and/or mysterious into more human conflicts (that are still hugely, vastly interspace, mind), and on top of that giving most screentime to Naomi's family drama makes the season feel even lopsided towards the mundane, when Amos' journey through post-apocalyptic world or Avasarala's interplanetary politics' play feel more apt for the main stories. Still largely gripping as it has ever been (and the status quo-altering fourth episode is up there with the best of the series), but I hope that (great) finale's tantalizing cliffhanger is a sign that the show will wrap up on a grand scale in its next final season.

Season 2 (A) > Season 3 (A) >> Season 4 (B+) > Season 5 (B+) > Season 1 (B+)
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5