Page 2754 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1754225426542704274427522753275427552756276428042854 ... LastLast
Results 68,826 to 68,850 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Nitpicking but the Lobster got a 2016 release here.
    Considering how many films never get a commercial release in the US ever, it seems unnecessarily limiting to only consider films that open theatrically in New York and Los Angeles. It's a bit like choosing the best novels of the year based on what you can buy in an airport bookstore in Topeka, Kansas.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Considering how many films never get a commercial release in the US ever, it seems unnecessarily limiting to only consider films that open theatrically in New York and Los Angeles. It's a bit like choosing the best novels of the year based on what you can buy in an airport bookstore in Topeka, Kansas.
    Nah, on Amazon, anyone in New York and Topeka can get the same books at least.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Oh wow I didnt know it was directed by a woman. That's great. That flick is badass. I wish we had more movies with Clooney being a stone-cold badass.
    Clooney is pretty good at playing a badass, as From Dusk Till Dawn also indicates.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Glad you liked it. And you didn't know it was directed by a woman? Don't you guy read my threads? That was one of my clues!
    I read your thread, I just forgot okay!
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    I think I am going to see Ford v Ferrari this weekend.
    Bret Easton Ellis had it in his top 10 films of the year and I follow his podcast and generally agree with his opinions despite weighing rankings very differently.
    I haven't heard anything one way or another on this film, but it seems like something better suited for a theatrical viewing.
    Anyone have any thoughts on it?
    Last edited by origami_mustache; 01-11-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

I've heard nothing but good things.

It's great! Probably the best racing ever in a narrative film. Bale is terrific, a real career high point in my mind. Cinematography and sound are top notch.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Producer
    Before last year I had only seen two Pedro Almodóvar films (The Skin I Live In and Julieta), and I figure before watching Pain and Glory would be a great time to catch up on unseen Pedro. Apart from the big ones, there's really no rhyme or reason to what I choose to watch (or to write about). Here's what I've watched so far, off and on, for the past half year:

Matador (1986) - 6/10

Law of Desire (1987) - After the stylishly watchable but increasingly silly giallo riff of Matador, this one feels nimble in comparison, modulating its tones so well between campy melodrama tropes and real depth of feelings, in which the latter only reveals its full force sneakily in the film's final stretch. 7.5/10

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988) - Such a fun and colorful farce. The delicious screwball pacing also masks one certain plot point stealthily among the exhilarating whirlpool of comedic/melodramatic situations, until it lands back gracefully in a quiet final scene, reverberating back on the whole film gorgeously and deeply. 8/10

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (1989) - 7/10

The Flower of My Secret (1995) - As far as director's "transition" work goes, this one has a generous helping of warm empathy and plot-oriented pleasures to go along with Almodóvar's first dip into relatively serious territory. A tender, affecting surprise. 7.5/10

Live Flesh (1997) - Lurid, twisty fun. But although the shifting perspectives and sympathies keep you on your toe (this is a truly unpredictable thriller), I feel like the characterization is either too skimpy or rushed over in favor of the plot turns, so that this lacks the undercurrent emotions to cohere all different passages together. One character especially is crucial leading into the climax and its epilogue, but I feel like they remains a cipher so that when their turn of passion comes, the whole third act turns deflating and doesn't land emotionally at all. The margin pleasures that are very trademark Pedro (like a brawl being broken up by both parties turning to cheer for a soccer goal on TV) still keep this lively enough though. 6.5/10

All About My Mother (1999) - Its plot mechanics grind loudly (if often devastatingly, thanks to Cecilia Roth's tremendous performance) a bit early on, but after all characters and their relationships are established, the film slows down into a warm, wonderful, and generously empathetic register. Under all the director's usual surface melodrama plot and colorful florid touches, the undercurrent emotion reigns tender and almost meditative, which makes for a nicely involving cinematic frisson. The scene where many different generations of women, of different backgrounds, sit down and bounce off each other may mark one of my favorite Almodóvar's filmmaking so far. 8.5/10

Now onto his most acclaimed period, the 00s
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    It's great! Probably the best racing ever in a narrative film. Bale is terrific, a real career high point in my mind. Cinematography and sound are top notch.
    Yeah, this was good stuff. Loved Bale, Damon is well casted, the production values are excellent, the real story is interesting, and I think racing in general is a good setup for a Hollywood film. Although, formulaic, it is well done and about as good as an adult big budget studio film can be. I also enjoyed the meta aspect in that the film itself is crafted by a team of executives in the same way the Ford car is built to beat the Ferrari car, but needs the soul and vision of talented and human individuals to excel. It reminded me of solid 90s dramas where it hits all the marks you'd expect in a good way with classical story-telling film language, character building moments, and set-ups and payoffs.
    Last edited by origami_mustache; 01-12-2020 at 02:23 AM.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Hey guys, remember way back on the RT forum where The Third M?n declared Commando the greatest movie of all time?

He wasn't wrong.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Hey guys, remember way back on the RT forum where The Third M?n declared Commando the greatest movie of all time?

He wasn't wrong.
    I remember him. Not sure what happened to him. Also Commando rocks.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

If there's a deaf character in a movie, the protagonist can sign. Every time.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I remember him. Not sure what happened to him. Also Commando rocks.
    I know people complain about the logic holes in the Fast and the Furious movies these days, but NOBODY batted an eyelash for movies like this back in the day. Ahnuld pulls aluminum siding off outside walls of a barn like it's a magnet on a refrigerator and he and the pilot he kidnapped survived a car crash into a telephone pole despite the latter NOT HAVING A SEAT. It's glorious.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Didn't he rip the seat out of the car too so he could sit down and not be seen by the guy he was following>?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Didn't he rip the seat out of the car too so he could sit down and not be seen by the guy he was following>?
    Yeeep.

- - - - -
    Go in blind and just read this entire thread. It's a helluva great story.

https://twitter.com/jbenton/status/1218362598309212160

I refuse to read Twitter stories. The formatting is eye aids.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I have a large stack of seemingly good movies I need to watch. So what do I do instead? Watch Transporter 2 on Hulu. That was one hell of a fun dumb movie.
    Last edited by MadMan; 01-19-2020 at 07:36 AM.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I watched Demon Seed because it's part of the Criterion Channel's 70s Sci-Fi offering this month, and what a bonkers film. It says something that in the mid-70s the threat wasn't human exploitation of computers to access private thoughts/matters but rather the corruptibility of the computer itself. I can't say that Julie Christie acquits herself, but who can legitimately be a good foil to a computer that wants to impregnate you. There's about four absolutely silly sequences here (her child client's meltdown, her rationalization of the impregnating plan, the decapitation, the absurd shock ending) that makes this worth all the silliness required.

Next up is Paul Schrader's Hardcore, which will hopefully be better. on all accounts.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    It says something that in the mid-70s the threat wasn't human exploitation of computers to access private thoughts/matters but rather the corruptibility of the computer itself.
    Another good flick along these lines is Colossus: The Forbin Project.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Just wrote something about Jurassic Park, and long review short, it's no surprise that the film got as big as it did, not just in terms of money grossed, with the way it rampaged all over the box office like an angry T-Rex, and became Spielberg's 3rd movie to be the highest-grossing film of its time, but also in the way it redefined, for better or worse, the way the movie industry uses special effects to this day, creating a modern classic that, like its tagline says, is an adventure that's "65 million years in the making", but whose Chicxulub-sized impact will likely be felt on Hollywood for just as long after.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Just wrote something about Jurassic Park, and long review short, it's no surprise that the film got as big as it did, not just in terms of money grossed, with the way it rampaged all over the box office like an angry T-Rex, and became Spielberg's 3rd movie to be the highest-grossing film of its time, but also in the way it redefined, for better or worse, the way the movie industry uses special effects to this day, creating a modern classic that, like its tagline says, is an adventure that's "65 million years in the making", but whose Chicxulub-sized impact will likely be felt on Hollywood for just as long after.
    Your intro paragraph rings home. I begged my parents to take me and we decided to make it a family outing. What furthered the excitement was at the time, McDonald's had started their "super size me" marketing program which spawned from the Jurassic Park product placement. Those giant french fries with the T-Rex printed on them will be burned into my memory forever. I was 9. Dinosaurs were the coolest thing I know existed.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I don't think it would ever happen, but a part of me would love to see some director make an old-fashioned theatrical serial. A long miniseries-like story that we can see pieces of each weekend at a theater for 10 weeks or so. Maybe each lasts an hour and change, prices for tickets being 50% the normal. Yes I'm aware I just essentially described a TV show. But that lacks the communal electricity that can come with the best movie theater experiences. I believe GoT had some episodes play in theaters. Something like that, done on a huge moviemaking scale that can only be appreciated in a theater with a big crowd, would be a nice change of pace. I don't think any studio would do it, and I'm not sure modern audiences would care. But I think it'd be fun.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Your intro paragraph rings home. I begged my parents to take me and we decided to make it a family outing. What furthered the excitement was at the time, McDonald's had started their "super size me" marketing program which spawned from the Jurassic Park product placement. Those giant french fries with the T-Rex printed on them will be burned into my memory forever. I was 9. Dinosaurs were the coolest thing I know existed.
    Pre-emptive: Grew up very conservative, wasn't allowed to watch anything R rated or remotely horror.

I was in the middle of a five week camping trip with my family, and I was 14. I hadn't been around a tv in weeks. I loved dinosaurs growing up. I loved (and was mildy terrified) by Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend. I had/have insomnia. I had night terrors about random things. Dinosaurs were one of them. Our family journey was out west through the states, then back through the father-land (Canada). So near Vancouver I finally convinced them to break for a movie. We bought tickets, and as we were walking in I asked my mom,
    "So what is this about?"
    She said, "I don't know, dinosaurs or something."
    Me: "Oh great, I have nightmares about dinosaurs."
    Mom: "Oh crap, really?"
    Me, laughing: "Don't worry mom, I'm sure it will be like Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend, so it will be fine."

Spoiler: It was not like Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend. I nearly shit myself at the goat/T-Rex scene.

Last year my podcast ran a series of battles to determine the best movie of the decade. We made it through 2018 and went into a holding pattern waiting for 2019 to wrap up. Well, the time has come! There's one more bracket to run before we get to the big decade-wide battle and we need your votes! The first round kicked off today leading up to the championship on Saturday. So click through and pick your favorites at one or all of these outlets. We'd sure appreciate it!

https://www.facebook.com/starringpod/
    https://twitter.com/starringpod
    https://www.instagram.com/starringpod/ (Vote in our story)

New battles posted every morning!
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford