Page 1818 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 818131817181768180818161817181818191820182818681918 ... LastLast
Results 45,426 to 45,450 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I've never watched an episode of Buffy.

Overrated is a really overrated term.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Examples?
    Everything he's done that I am aware of.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Totally.

Joss Whedon is a shitty writer and a shitty feminist.

Anyway, while we're talking about beloved self-identified male feminists being creeps with women, the Louis CK thing has popped back in the news again, this time courtesy of Tig Notaro.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/tig-not...conduct-rumors
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I've never watched an episode of Buffy.
    I can't blame anyone not getting past the short season 1 (although I don't find it too bad; has some creaky charms); I myself started the series because I wanted to read along with Noel Murray's AV Club reviews. But, without hyperbole (at least from my opinion), "The Body" will probably remain one of the top 5 TV episodes I have ever watched.

I don't do it consciously, but I'm glad I've chosen such that this word doesn't come up often among film people I've followed on twitter or message boards I've been.
    Last edited by Peng; 08-24-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I had no idea Notaro had a show on Amazon. I need to check that out. I really like her stuff.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    That's what I thought.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    I swear I don't do this based on your (admirably) vocal stance on the political thread, but the first thing that pops into my mind is that this is so vague it could have been a (certain politician name)-ish answer.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I swear I don't do this based on your (admirably) vocal stance on the political thread, but the first thing that pops into my mind is that this is so vague it could have been a (certain politician name)-ish answer.
    Peng, okay, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, Peng, but Joss Whedon is a lightweight, okay? (sniffs) And I have people in Los Angeles who are telling me the worst things about him, the worst, you've never heard anything like it, it's unbelievable.

He's very bad. Tremendously bad. Very, very bad.

He has a history of this (see quote in sig)- Most of his opinionated hyperbole posts are for shock value and nothing more. No merit. No evidence. Notta.

Which is a shame, because I'd love to know more and discuss it. But good luck getting anything.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Over the last 15-20 or so years, I've spent way too many thousands of words and wasted way too much of my time on why I don't like Whedon's writing. Now, it's just easier to say I don't like him and move on.

- - - - -
    It really isn't, because every corner of the internet is filled with hype, and we get it from both ends -- from the fanboys at the bottom and the corporations at the top. I don't understand how someone can express disdain for somebody else having a negative reaction to that.

- - - - -
    Anyway, while we're talking about beloved self-identified male feminists being creeps with women, the Louis CK thing has popped back in the news again, this time courtesy of Tig Notaro.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/tig-not...conduct-rumors
    I've heard about this for awhile -- but holy shit, Jen Kirkman is probably the least credible source for anything that anyone could possibly imagine.

Yep, "overrated" is a perfectly valid term. I've never understood why anyone would find any fault with it. It's a simple shorthand for "I like this less than the general consensus". I get that maybe it's the fact that it references the opinions of others and thus may be confused with that horrible practice of reviewing the "opposition" camp rather than the movie itself (e.g., "Fight Club fans are too attracted to the superficially comic tone to recognize the hypocrisy of its message"), but that is not what it does. It provides context for where the reviewer's opinion sits in relation to the general consensus.

Overrated movies and TV shows:

Tree of Life
    Parks and Recreation
    The Big Lebowski
    Children of Men
    Rectify

Fun!
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Producer
    But if it is a valid term, why would you two have a problem with someone calling it overrated?

*Inception bwams*
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

But if it is a valid term, why would you two have a problem with someone calling it overrated?

*Inception bwams*
    I don't have a problem with the use of the word. I would have a problem with the argument itself, because it's wrong. Like those poor deluded fools who think Jaws is overrated.....
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

It was just a simple shorthand to say I like that word less than the general consensus. The internet is filled with people using that word a lot and I just have a negative reaction to it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Went to a concert last night and had a great time. First concert I've been to in nearly 10 years.

Headliner was Pallbearer. Bask and Kayo Dot were the openers.

Long time fan of Pallbearer but had never seen the other two. Bask blew me away and I bought their album.

It was at a little club venue, and after each act the band themselves went to the merch table and sold their stuff, Pallbearer included. That was super cool.

Much prefer these smaller venues to big stadium shows.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Between a recent episode of Radiolab about smarty-pants setting up a new digital currency and that story about an A.I. being taken offline because it started creating it's own language...I feel like it's possible an A.I. has birthed on the web. Further evidence, it's trying to communicate with MC via spam threads, but in it's infancy, it hasn't figured out how to properly communicate yet.

That hurricane heading this way is making me kinda nervous. And I'm not one to get nervous about hurricanes. >_>

- - - - -
    Stay safe, TGM!

(Also Duke's New England bunker/cabin/fortress/hut is unoccupied now, should you need to seek higher ground.)

Get out, TGM.

2nd highest winds recorded in an Atlantic storm. Yeh that's not good.