17. Finding Nemo
    18. Nurse Betty
    19. Gerry
    20. Lilya 4-Ever

something like that

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Please... a) character depth is a good thing
    Well, sure, but when you're looking at Heat from a perspective of it being a prerequisite for Miami Vice it's out of place and irrelevant.

b) there are extended sequences in Heat with no dialogue
    Okay, fair enough, but there is also a shitload of pointless dialogue equalling up to a miserably long and excessive running time.

c) The Insider is a very visual film claiming it's primarily script based simply displays a lack of interest in delving into it's formal depths
    And which "formal depths" are those?

d) boring is not a critique it's a dismissal.
    After the things I had said before previously calling it boring, a dismissal would only seem in order.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I've grown to admire Miami Vice upon repeat viewings, but the recent cinephile trend of completely writing off Mann's previous work in it's favour has just got to end.
    If you're talking to me, I'm not completely writing off his work. I did enjoy Collateral.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Also Clipper Ship, you seem to be embracing style as a means of shying away from discussions of narrative/character, to which Mann's style in all the four films you mentioned is linked (to varying degrees).
    How so? And no, my response to Grouchy was merely comparing the styles as I saw them from Mann's early works to Miami Vice.

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    Well, sure, but when you're looking at Heat from a perspective of it being a prerequisite for Miami Vice it's out of place and irrelevant.
    Looking at it as a prerequisite for Miami Vice is out of place and irrelevant, stylistically it came before so of course in that sense it's a prerequisite... is it also the better film because there's some actual content to it versus the purely stylistic content of Vice? I would of course argue yes.

Okay, fair enough, but there is also a shitload of pointless dialogue equalling up to a miserably long and excessive running time.
    It's actually a fairly pointed script with all the scenes and lines tying into one another... the subject matter and execution may not have been your cup of tea but thinking about it I see few lines or scenes that could be excised at random without hurting the film.

And which "formal depths" are those?
    Oh I don't know, a gritty, inovative unique visual style... spawning numerous imitators from Syriana to Michael Clayton. Many remarkable shots and scenes spring to mind from the atmosphere/location setting of the opening sequence, to a memory shot which required a moving camera morph as the protag sits alone in a room and remembers his past, to the communicative deep shadows on the grass of the two main characters during/after part of the trial.

After the things I had said before previously calling it boring, a dismissal would only seem in order.
    You have every right to be bored by it but obviously anyone will be bored by most of the art they don't enjoy... it's not very far away from just saying 'I didn't like it' which we already know.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I don't really care enough about Mann's early works or have seen them recently enough to argue with them; I'm only going by memory. As such, I don't feel the need to continue arguing about them. I will say that I do think Miami Vice is far more than style, but the substance is definitely subtle something you have to look for (as I have said, the movie doesn't hold your hand). I'd give it another try, unless you are absolutely certain you've gotten the most out of the movie you could get.

Also, how is looking at it as a prerequisite irrelevant? Would you say look at a director's overall progress throughout their career is irrelevant? Because that's all I was saying. I don't know if you misunderstood me or not.

Dadaism Revivalist
    Quote Quoting TheMostGorgeousSituation (view post)
    1. Caché

That's about all I have.
    Ha. You really do have a most gorgeous av. My number one would be L'Intrus or maybe Silent Light.
    The General (27) (Keaton) ***
    Nuts In May (76) (Leigh) *** First half masterpiece, but once it gets to Finger and Honkey it falls in quality slightly.
    Jenifer (05) (Argento) ***
    Three Lives and Only One Death (93) (Ruiz) ***
    La Femme Qui Se Poudre (72) (Bokanowski) ****
    The New York Ripper (82) (Fulci) ** Donald Duck voice is high-larious.

Let's see. Twenty films, listed chronologically:

Requiem for a Dream
    Songs from the Second Floor
    Mulholland Dr.
    The Man Who Wasn't There
    Spider
    Solaris
    City of God
    The Shape of Things
    Hukkle
    Before Sunset
    Sideways