Thread: The Amazing Spider-Man (Marc Webb, 2012)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'm glad that he made a movie for half a billion dollars and decided it was a learning curve and now wants another chance.
    Um, while it was greeted with a lot of disappointment from some very vocal people, didn't it still manage to make almost 900 million for Sony worldwide? And its budget was more like a quarter billion? I mean, that's still a success from the studio's point of view, right?

I mean, it's not uncommon for a director to look at all of his films as learning experiences. He sees missteps in his films, and I think most directors--if being honest--will cop to mistakes being made.

I know, and I would rather he says this honestly than insist that Spider-Man 3 was a good movie, but there's something about it that rubs me the wrong way. I mean, it's the second most expensive movie ever made and he's just basically saying, "Yeah, lots of people didn't like it. It's not the best. Let me try again, you'll like this one." It doesn't really make me want to see it. At all.

Also, with other directors, that learning curve is by trying out new things. Getting experience. That's different from making a sequel of the same movie with the same character over and over.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    8 I think you mentioned this before in one of the Spiderman threads, but Raimi was just appealing to the studio with the third installment. They were pushing for the third villain because they didn't know if there would be a 4th film, and the ending result was too much going on in such a little time. That's why venom's appearance sucked so much. Think of the direction Raimi could have went with if they let him work the syndicate into the story himself. If he had an entire movie to play with.

There's no doubt in my mind that 4 will be better than 3.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah, I'm glad he admits it was awful basically. At least I know he won't be reusing stuff from the third movie.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Banned
    Raimi's neocon suck-ups bother me more than his callous disregard for Sony's cash.

I think it takes some balls to admit that your own movie with a $500 million budget wasn't good.

I still wish they'd get someone else to take over the franchise, but I admit I'm eager to see what he has up his sleeve.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."