Thread: The Amazing Spider-Man (Marc Webb, 2012)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Amazing Spider-Man (Marc Webb, 2012)

Not a sequel anymore, but a complete reboot.

UPDATES EXCLUSIVE: 'Spider-Man 4' Officially Has No Start Date As Of Today Because Of Script Problems; Sony "Unlikely" To Make Scheduled May 5, 2011, Release Date

BREAKING NEWS! Mike Fleming and I have just confirmed that Sony Pictures decided today to reboot the Spider-Man franchise after franchise director Sam Raimi pulled out of Spider-Man 4 because he felt he couldn't make its summer release date and keep the film's creative integrity. This means that Raimi and the cast including star Tobey Maguire are out. There will be no Spider-Man 4. Instead, Mike Fleming is told, the studio will focus on a reboot script by Jamie Vanderbilt with a new director and a new cast. All this took place today at meeting on the lot today. An official Sony Pictures news release about it is expected.

My sources tell me that Raimi told Sony Pictures: "I can't make your date. I can't go forward creatively." And, so, once he said "That's it", Sony Pictures co-chairman Pascal and Columbia Pictures' Matt Tolmach decided they didn't want to replace him and instead chose to reboot the franchise. Insiders also tell me that Tobey Maguire heard the news in a phone call with Amy today. I'm told Tobey wasn't upset. "He's made 3 great Spider-Man movies. He's done really well. But he's the kind of guy who, if Sam wanted to go forward, would have been there for Sam and the studio. Absolutely."

Mike Fleming has heard that, from Spidey, Raimi could move to World Of Warcraft, or to The Given Day, that terrific novel by Dennis Lehane, author of Shutter Island and Mystic River. Both are worthy projects, but World Of Warcraft is a huge franchise.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

If by perfect you mean "looks a lot like Tobey Maguire" then sure. The original leads were poorly cast and had absolutely no chemistry together anyway, so any potential replacements couldn't be worse.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

They're also apparently shooting both movies back-to-back.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    If by perfect you mean "looks a lot like Tobey Maguire" then sure. The original leads were poorly cast and had absolutely no chemistry together anyway, so any potential replacements couldn't be worse.
    Yep.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Maguire was well cast. Dunst wasn't.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Maguire was well cast. Dunst wasn't.
    Agreed. Why doesn't he want to do a 4th or 5th film?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Agreed. Why doesn't he want to do a 4th or 5th film?
    I dunno but if I was in his position I'd quit while I was somewhat ahead too... franchises almost always get worse the longer they continue... and the third already marked somewhat of a decline. He's smart to get out now.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    This is true, but Maguire was a lot better. I'd have Alicia Witt as Mary Jane, except then she'd be a lot older than any of these other Peter Parkers.

I sense disaster anyway. You know, if the studios had just left a little space between Spiderman 2 and 3, allowing Raimi to make another type of movie in the interim, we'd be shooting ourselves with horse tranquilizers to wait for the third one. Instead, Raimi and everyone just blew the third one and I don't give much of a fuck about more sequels.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    This is true, but Maguire was a lot better. I'd have Alicia Witt as Mary Jane, except then she'd be a lot older than any of these other Peter Parkers.

I sense disaster anyway. You know, if the studios had just left a little space between Spiderman 2 and 3, allowing Raimi to make another type of movie in the interim, we'd be shooting ourselves with horse tranquilizers to wait for the third one. Instead, Raimi and everyone just blew the third one and I don't give much of a fuck about more sequels.
    Plus now Raimi and Elfman won't work together anymore... perhaps the best reason yet to dislike Spidey 3.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Plus now Raimi and Elfman won't work together anymore... perhaps the best reason yet to dislike Spidey 3.
    Eh, I liked Christopher Young's score in Spidey 3.

But the Fugit kid doesn't seem to be a bad choice to replace Spidey. It will be interesting to see who replaces Dunst. Is Raimi planning on directing 4 & 5? If so, that and James Vanderbilt writing the film grab my interest.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd