Page 87 of 90 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2236

Thread: The European Football Thread

As someone who is admittedly not up on the international personalities in football, can I get a summary on this Mauricio Pochettino fellow?

(oh, and hi all)

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    As someone who is admittedly not up on the international personalities in football, can I get a summary on this Mauricio Pochettino fellow?

(oh, and hi all)
    I'm only familiar with his time in the Prem, but he's a manager who loves an attacking style of football, and has a proven track record in the league. That last part is, I believe, what got him the job. I think De Boer would have been given the reins had it not been for the perceived failure of AVB. I think Levy & co. were looking for a Prem proven young manager rather than hiring someone who had success in a "softer, less competitive" league.

Director
    John Oliver is so good.

Director
    Welp. As good as can be expected short of an Alexis Sanchez swap, which is seems he's not keen on. Hope they spend it wisely.

@BenSmithBBC
    Luis Suarez to Barcelona will, as expected, be a £75m cash deal. None of #LFC spending so far dependent on his sale

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Gonna be at the Real Madrid / Man U friendly at the Big House in Ann Arbor this Saturday. Pretty pumped to see some of those players live. I'll say hi to Gareth for ya, KF.

Wearing my old Modric Spurs shirt
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

Quote Quoting ThePlashyBubbler (view post)
    Gonna be at the Real Madrid / Man U friendly at the Big House in Ann Arbor this Saturday. Pretty pumped to see some of those players live. I'll say hi to Gareth for ya, KF.

Wearing my old Modric Spurs shirt
    Really wanted to go, but those tickets were too pricey considering I'd have to buy three. No way I could leave my kids behind for that. Have fun! Hope Bale scores another scorcher for you. His goal the other day against Inter got me all misty.

I got to see Man U vs. Roma on Saturday. Pretty impressive to watch in person, even if it was only a first half of the talented Man U players.

Rooney had a great goal, and Totti had a penalty kick. Roma also had a lob from beyond half-field that scored. That was amazing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

How many games until we give up on the Spurs this season?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think they surprise. Maybe not top four because it will be a very strong year, but I expect them to challenge for fifth and play some fantastic football. I think they get a win or two over top four teams. I'm very optimistic, whereas last season I was anything but.

I see Tottenham and Everton competing for sixth.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I see Tottenham and Everton competing for sixth.
    I don't have as much faith in Liverpool as most. I think Suarez was irreplaceable. I don't see the players they brought in, or the players still there, making up for his absence. I think it will be incredibly detrimental. Gerrard is a year older, Kolo Toure is still there, and their defense is still poor. I think it's a battle between them, Spurs, and Everton for fifth.

Well shoot. It was nice seeing that happen, and after Manchester United's impressive preseason, I had to laugh at that result as well.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Brilliant finish to the match. Justice for that ridiculous sending off.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I don't have as much faith in Liverpool as most. I think Suarez was irreplaceable. I don't see the players they brought in, or the players still there, making up for his absence. I think it will be incredibly detrimental. Gerrard is a year older, Kolo Toure is still there, and their defense is still poor. I think it's a battle between them, Spurs, and Everton for fifth.
    Of course, everything I say has to be taken with a grain of salt because I'm a huge Liverpool fan, but I think they will surprise this year. Brendan Rogers is a great coach, and we have a lot of young talent. Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, and Sturridge are all fantastic players. Lallana and Sturridge made BPL Team of the Year last season. Coutinho has been amazing in preseason. There is a lot of potential on this team. As far as defense goes, I think Lovren will make a difference, possibly Manquillo as well. We're weak, but not as weak as we were last season.

If any of the top five underperform, I think it's going to be Man U.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Of course, everything I say has to be taken with a grain of salt because I'm a huge Liverpool fan, but I think they will surprise this year. Brendan Rogers is a great coach, and we have a lot of young talent. Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, and Sturridge are all fantastic players. Lallana and Sturridge made BPL Team of the Year last season. Coutinho has been amazing in preseason. There is a lot of potential on this team. As far as defense goes, I think Lovren will make a difference, possibly Manquillo as well. We're weak, but not as weak as we were last season.

If any of the top five underperform, I think it's going to be Man U.
    Well, I certainly hope you're right. Of the top five teams, I'd much rather see Liverpool succeed than any of the others, and Man U failing is second only to watching Chelsea fail. I know I'm supposed to hate Arsenal, but not living in London and having the full history of their rivalry with Spurs, I just don't feel it with them like I do with the other two.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    The best and worst part of the Spurs game was undoubtedly that one of the best shots on target all night was the "invader" from the stands and the reactions of the players all watching the shot. I'm not convinced Eriksen wasn't ready to applaud the effort if it went in.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    The best and worst part of the Spurs game was undoubtedly that one of the best shots on target all night was the "invader" from the stands and the reactions of the players all watching the shot. I'm not convinced Eriksen wasn't ready to applaud the effort if it went in.
    And a leftie no less.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Director
    Lovren and Alberto Moreno are two very solid additions to Liverpool's defense.

I'm also really excited to see how Rodgers is able to utilize Markovic and whether Raheem Sterling can take the next big leap. The kid is still only 19. Suarez was "irreplaceable" but he also ran unsustainablly hot last year and the squad has way more depth.

Director
    Balotelli to Liverpool for £16m. I'm scared and all but man that's great value. He's still only 24.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Balotelli to Liverpool for £16m. I'm scared and all but man that's great value. He's still only 24.
    Yeah, that would pretty well cement Liverpool fighting for that fourth spot, and securing no lower than fifth (barring injuries). Unless he has a meltdown.

I really hope Poch doesn't pull an AVB and put Lamela on the bench after his performance off the bench today against AEL.

He totally turned that game on its head.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    I really hope Poch doesn't pull an AVB and put Lamela on the bench after his performance off the bench today against AEL.

He totally turned that game on its head.
    I think Poch loves Lamela. I don't think that's a concern. Seemed like he wanted to rest Lamela today, but once the game wasn't coming to them, he inserted him into the game and watched him take over. Problem with Lamela is that he hasn't shown he can find his role alongside Eriksen. He gets lost in the midfield, like he's trying to play second to Eriksen. He needs to just take the game over.

He was pretty useless last week against West Ham.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    He was pretty useless last week against West Ham.
    He was, but I don't think that's fair. He was double-teamed a fair amount, and then Spurs were a man down after 20-some minutes. That's hardly the circumstances for a fair assessment of his effectiveness in league play.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    He was, but I don't think that's fair. He was double-teamed a fair amount, and then Spurs were a man down after 20-some minutes. That's hardly the circumstances for a fair assessment of his effectiveness in league play.
    True. I've seen a few games of him and simply haven't seen anything special there.

I'll get to see a lot more of the team this year with access to NBC Sports and a better time zone. Looking forward to it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 87 of 90 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast