Page 39 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: The European Football Thread

Director
    From a strategic standpoint I think he's right as well. The problem is in attracting and keeping top players though. Lots of them only want to play for sides that are competing for the major cup competitions and if it's between Tottenham/Liverpool and someone like Inter Milan they're probably going with the one with higher profile matches.

Pepe Reina could put in a transfer request if Liverpool doesn't get into Europa... stuff like that.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    From a strategic standpoint I think he's right as well. The problem is in attracting and keeping top players though. Lots of them only want to play for sides that are competing for the major cup competitions and if it's between Tottenham/Liverpool and someone like Inter Milan they're probably going with the one with higher profile matches.

Pepe Reina could put in a transfer request if Liverpool doesn't get into Europa... stuff like that.
    Yep, that's exactly what I meant by strengthening the team overall. Not only that, but the money a team receives for qualifying will help pay for those top players.

I was wondering what the point of the Europa League was. Still don't think it's anything to get excited for.

It'd be like the next tier of teams in baseball getting to play for 9th place. Whoo hoo.......

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Director
    Awful job by Liverpool. They had such great form leading up to this and let it slip away.

Birmingham are going to play like mad on Sunday considering a loss likely means relegation for them, where as Aston Villa have nothing to play for after beating Arsenal, so the final spot in Europa is still up for grabs, but considering how awful Spurs had been playing (and the fact that they hadn't won at Anfield since '93) and how strong 'Pool looked as of late, that was one very surprising result.

Spurs Land Ceballos From Barca

Please let this be true, please let this be true, please let this be true...

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I was wondering what the point of the Europa League was. Still don't think it's anything to get excited for.

It'd be like the next tier of teams in baseball getting to play for 9th place. Whoo hoo.......
    if you watched fc porto you wouldn't be saying this

love falcao

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    if you watched fc porto you wouldn't be saying this

love falcao
    Does the Europa League Champion at least get an automatic Champions League entry? Otherwise, I'm still saying that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Director
    Even winning the Champion's League doesn't guarantee you entry into the next year's CL tourney so probably not. A special exception had to be made for Liverpool in 2005 when they finished 5th in EPL the same year they won the tournament.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Even winning the Champion's League doesn't guarantee you entry into the next year's CL tourney so probably not. A special exception had to be made for Liverpool in 2005 when they finished 5th in EPL the same year they won the tournament.
    I'm sure there has, but has a Champions League winner not made it in the Champions League the next season? Say, within the last 15-20 years?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Director
    Liverpool in 2005 was the only one that I'm aware of. Then EUFA made a rule that the winner would be able to play their way into the tourney via the early qualifying rounds if they hadn't qualified the usual way.

i don't think qualifying will be a problem for porto. they went undefeated last season and the last time they won the europa league, they won the champions league the following year

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Spurs Land Ceballos From Barca

Please let this be true, please let this be true, please let this be true...
    If this is true...holy shit! (chants the mantra with KF: please let this be true)

KF, during the Birmingham game yesterday, the commentators said they expect Pavy to be gone because he needs more minutes and he wont get them at Spurs.

DO you think its likely they keep him at all, or is he gone?

(and if they DO keep him, they'd probably need to play him more which would mean what...less minutes for Crouchy?)

This is pure speculation, but I don't see Defoe sticking around. If Defoe were to leave, I think Pavs would get the extra minutes he wants, but he'd still be splitting time with Crouch (assuming he's still around). I'll be very interested to see how this summer plays out. I said before the season that I was disappointed Spurs didn't go after a goal-scorer, as I think that's their biggest flaw (along with keeper), so I'm hoping some reshaping happens. As long as Bale and Modric are here come August and September, I'll be a happy man.

EDIT: I didn't answer that very clearly. I see a scenario where Defoe and Pavs are both gone. In fact, I can see all three (Crouch as well) leaving, though I know Harry loves Crouchy, so he's the likeliest to stick around. Whatever happens, Spurs offense will look very different next season.

Bale would be gone if it weren't for his bum ankle. That'd be devastating to the team.

I keep saying it, but I really hope to be able to watch more games next season. Aston Villa is catching my eye a lot with their offense. Darren Bent is fun to watch.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Damnit. I'm going to miss the Champions League final tonight.

I think Man U is going to surprise.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Anyone have a good link to the game?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Anyone have a good link to the game?
    Try this: http://eyousports.com/channels/from-foot.html

The Mips streams are the best in my experience.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Damnit. I'm going to miss the Champions League final tonight.

I think Man U is going to surprise.
    Yeah, they surprised in how pedestrian they were made to look. Totally one-sided. Congrats to Barcelona.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Yeah, they surprised in how pedestrian they were made to look. Totally one-sided. Congrats to Barcelona.
    I saw Messi's goal in the second half. Nice shot. I figure if Barcelona has the lead in the second half, they're not going to lose.

That's just in general.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    No kidding. What a complete decimation that was.

That Swansea/Reading game was intense. Much more than it should have been considering Swansea's 3-0 halftime lead. Kind of sucks that Premier teams have to travel to Swansea next season (compared to Reading, that is), but congrats to them nonetheless.

HOLY CRAP.

If Montenegro beats Bulgaria tomorrow in the Euro qualifier, we'll go up to 9th place in the FIFA rankings. Ahead of Argentina.

Sure, it'd be short-lived almost certainly, but damn if it wouldn't be sweet.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Brad Friedel to Tottenham. Glad that it means a potential challenge for Gomes next season, but surely he's only got a few years left in the tank?

Page 39 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast