Page 463 of 522 FirstFirst ... 363413453461462463464465473513 ... LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,575 of 13029

Thread: The NFL Discussion Thread

Even the commercials were boring this time.

When the Punters were the MVP until the 3rd quarter..... That was horrendous.

Patriots defense showed up to play. Edelman was the obvious star, but Hightower/Gilmore were probably the true MVPs of the game.

Gurley is damaged goods. Sad, but hope his knee recovers in the offseason. This is the Rams without a run game.

49ers will be there next with Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell in hand. Garropolo VS Brady SuperBowl?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I don't understand how a game that is close and competitive until the last 5 minutes is "worst ever" but a complete drubbing like Seahawks vs Broncos is fine, or the Raiders vs Bucs game where the offense may as well have just told the defense where they were going to throw the ball was not worse.

One of the "greatest games of all time" was 17-14 when the Giants won a defensive struggle over the undefeated Patriots - and they scored 10 combined points through 3 quarters. Good defense doesn't make a game horrendous. Bad defense definitely does, because it turns into a basketball game, and absolute dominance definitely does. Close games between the best teams in the game aren't bad - only the fans that claim they are.
    Last edited by PURPLE; 02-04-2019 at 04:35 AM.

I think Seahawks vs Steelers is the worst Super Bowl I ever watched.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    When the Punters were the MVP until the 3rd quarter..... That was horrendous.

Patriots defense showed up to play. Edelman was the obvious star, but Hightower/Gilmore were probably the true MVPs of the game.

Gurley is damaged goods. Sad, but hope his knee recovers in the offseason. This is the Rams without a run game.

49ers will be there next with Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell in hand. Garropolo VS Brady SuperBowl?
    God, I hope not. The 49ers can fuck off, too.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I can understand why people who are not Pats or Rams fans would think that game was boring. But god damn, it's ironic that the lowest scoring Super Bowl was also the Patriots largest margin of victory.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting PURPLE (view post)
    I don't understand how a game that is close and competitive until the last 5 minutes is "worst ever" but a complete drubbing like Seahawks vs Broncos is fine, or the Raiders vs Bucs game where the offense may as well have just told the defense where they were going to throw the ball was not worse.

One of the "greatest games of all time" was 17-14 when the Giants won a defensive struggle over the undefeated Patriots - and they scored 10 combined points through 3 quarters. Good defense doesn't make a game horrendous. Bad defense definitely does, because it turns into a basketball game, and absolute dominance definitely does. Close games between the best teams in the game aren't bad - only the fans that claim they are.
    Just because the score was close does not mean it was competitive.

I agree with the reflex to push back against people who declare low-scoring games to be boring and high scoring games to be instant classics (e.g., the Chiefs/Rams regular season game). But a strong defensive showing does not preclude a strong offensive showing, which we certainly did not get last night. It's not that the offense couldn't score. It's that the offense of either team didn't bother to show up for 3 quarters. I know there are games we've all seen where offense, defense, and special teams are firing on all cylinders; the score may not be much different but it isn't labeled an epic snoozer because those games are actually entertaining. I'd much rather see a 5 minutes drive to the 15 with a stop in the red zone than repeated 3-and-outs on the 50 yard line. I can count on one hand the number of plays in the red zone and none of them occurred in the first half.

That said, I'm fine with special teams finally get some share of the glory they deserve but never receive.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Just because the score was close does not mean it was competitive.

I agree with the reflex to push back against people who declare low-scoring games to be boring and high scoring games to be instant classics (e.g., the Chiefs/Rams regular season game). But a strong defensive showing does not preclude a strong offensive showing, which we certainly did not get last night. It's not that the offense couldn't score. It's that the offense of either team didn't bother to show up for 3 quarters. I know there are games we've all seen where offense, defense, and special teams are firing on all cylinders; the score may not be much different but it isn't labeled an epic snoozer because those games are actually entertaining. I'd much rather see a 5 minutes drive to the 15 with a stop in the red zone than repeated 3-and-outs on the 50 yard line. I can count on one hand the number of plays in the red zone and none of them occurred in the first half.

That said, I'm fine with special teams finally get some share of the glory they deserve but never receive.
    I don't think there's a case where "both offenses show up" and it's a "strong defensive showing". Like it or not, both offenses did show up, and both defenses played better. I sat in the stands when the Raiders brought the NFL's best offense to a home game AFC Championship against the Ravens and saw them score 3 points and give up only a 96 yard TD to a 96 year old Shannon Sharpe - but in that game the offense threw 4 interceptions. I'm not sure if that's how you "show up", but I would prefer a Rams team that didn't make crucial mistakes and had the winning margin hit their receivers' hands in the end zone twice.

The fact is - the Rams did exactly what they needed to do to win, give or take a half second on 2 different plays. That's a good game with a competent offense doing what it needed to do to give the team a chance to win.

I don't think there's a case where "both offenses show up" and it's a "strong defensive showing". Like it or not, both offenses did show up, and both defenses played better. I sat in the stands when the Raiders brought the NFL's best offense to a home game AFC Championship against the Ravens and saw them score 3 points and give up only a 96 yard TD to a 96 year old Shannon Sharpe - but in that game the offense threw 4 interceptions. I'm not sure if that's how you "show up", but I would prefer a Rams team that didn't make crucial mistakes and had the winning margin hit their receivers' hands in the end zone twice.

The fact is - the Rams did exactly what they needed to do to win, give or take a half second on 2 different plays. That's a good game with a competent offense doing what it needed to do to give the team a chance to win.
    The Rams offense was trash yesterday outside of Brandin Cooks.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Lights were too bright for Mr. Goff.

Same for Mahomes two weeks ago. The only different between the two is Mahomes settled in, in the 2nd half. Goff didn't.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The Rams offense was trash yesterday outside of Brandin Cooks.
    What makes you think so?

What makes you think so?
    Gurley - 35 total yards 3.5 YPC
    Anderson 22 total yards 3.1 YPC

RAMs 57 TOTAL Offensive Yards at halftime with only 2 first downs.

Punting in every position in the first half

The 2nd highest ranked offensive in the league held to 3 total points.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Gurley - 35 total yards 3.5 YPC
    Anderson 22 total yards 3.1 YPC

RAMs 57 TOTAL Offensive Yards at halftime with only 2 first downs.

Punting in every position in the first half

The 2nd highest ranked offensive in the league held to 3 total points.
    What does that have to do with the players "outside of Brandin Cooks"?

Go to 4:30 and tell me what "mistakes" the offense makes on a crucial 3rd and 2 at midfield with 4 minutes left in the half as the Rams are driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usw9WiShXEs

Based on what I saw, the Rams' offense stalled for these reasons, in decreasing importance:

1. The Patriots' scheme nullified the Rams' run game, as pointed out repeatedly by Romo.
    2. The Patriots gambled a lot on defense on third down - and were almost always right.
    3. Goff wasn't able to beat man coverage.
    4. The Rams' line got beat repeatedly by bull rushes and stunts.
    5. Goff kept challenging the best CB in football in one-on-one man coverage.
    6. Goff didn't throw to the right man.

Mostly, the Patriots outcoached the Rams, and it wasn't close. If you go through each third down play you'll be amazed at how good the defensive play calls are. There was nothing any player on the offense could do.

What does that have to do with the players "outside of Brandin Cooks"?

Go to 4:30 and tell me what "mistakes" the offense makes on a crucial 3rd and 2 at midfield with 4 minutes left in the half as the Rams are driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usw9WiShXEs
    Well he had 120 Yards receiving, by far the best performer on offensive. He was the only receiver that could get open for Goff.

Not sure what your getting at or why you put in "mistakes" in quotes or why you're questioning Eric's statement.

Well he had 120 Yards receiving, by far the best performer on offensive. He was the only receiver that could get open for Goff.

Not sure what your getting at or why you put in "mistakes" in quotes or why you're questioning Eric's statement.
    I can show you plenty of plays where other players were open in zone coverage and Goff didn't find them. I can also tell you that Cooks didn't get open in man coverage, because that's not really how you beat man coverage, and the Patriots played a lot of man coverage. Goff didn't find anyone in man coverage - like most young QBs. Edelman ate up man coverage - and he wasn't ever open when Brady threw it.

The Patriots consistently sold-out on defense and didn't cover huge portions of the field. It's not a credit to Cooks when he happened to be the receiver in that zone and Goff found him. We can look at each catch if you want - there weren't that many.

I'm questioning his statement because Belicheck beat the Rams coaches more than anything. The players weren't at fault (outside of the O-Line and Goff not being experienced enough), and Cooks certainly wasn't some sole exception. Woods had a better game. I'll point out the plays on the highlights if you want. If your only argument that a team didn't play well on offense is the stats then there's no point in watching the game, and certainly no point talking about it.
    Last edited by PURPLE; 02-04-2019 at 05:19 PM.

I can show you plenty of plays where other players were open in zone coverage and Goff didn't find them. I can also tell you that Cooks didn't get open in man coverage, because that's not really how you beat man coverage, and the Patriots played a lot of man coverage. Goff didn't find anyone in man coverage - like most young QBs. Edelman ate up man coverage - and he wasn't ever open when Brady threw it.

The Patriots consistently sold-out on defense and didn't cover huge portions of the field. It's not a credit to Cooks when he happened to be the receiver in that zone and Goff found him. We can look at each catch if you want - there weren't that many.

I'm questioning his statement because Belicheck beat the Rams coaches more than anything. The players weren't at fault (outside of the O-Line and Goff not being experienced enough), and Cooks certainly wasn't some sole exception. Woods had a better game. I'll point out the plays on the highlights if you want. If your only argument that a team didn't play well on offense is the stats then there's no point in watching the game, and certainly no point talking about it.
    So the Rams offense didn't play like trash. They just were inept to the Patriots D, due to the Patriots outstanding coaching.

So the Rams offense didn't play like trash. They just were inept to the Patriots D, due to the Patriots outstanding coaching.
    I'm no expert in football by any stretch of the imagination, but that's what it looked like to me. Belicheck just had their number from start to finish. Sure, Goff missed several opportunities, but those opportunities were few and far between. Hell, the Rams coach admitted as such.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I'm not just saying that. I'm telling you that I can show it to you. Look at that play I pointed to and describe what you see. You'll find out that it's a VERY unusual defensive scheme, and yet it is the best possible playcall to defend the play that the Rams ran. The Patriots knew what the Rams liked to run in those situations, and they were 2 steps ahead, and they did it a lot. That's not the only example, but it's a pretty crazy one.

Trash, inept. Call it what you want.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I haven't rooted for a team in a Super Bowl since GB last made it. Doesn't mean I did not enjoy some of the ones that followed. Last night's game was crap.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Weird move Browns. Weird move.

Someone was going to do it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Weird move Browns. Weird move.
    Yeeeeeeah, agreed. Shameful that these guys get 2nd chances while Kapernick is still jobless.