Page 4 of 522 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I remember during the draft thinking about taking Adrian Peterson, but figuring as a rookie he would not get as much playing time as Chester Taylor, so I took the latter. I'm beginning to think it was a poor choice.
    just beginning?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I remember during the draft thinking about taking Adrian Peterson, but figuring as a rookie he would not get as much playing time as Chester Taylor, so I took the latter. I'm beginning to think it was a poor choice.
    hehe, I had the 3rd pick and after LT and Stephen Davis went 1-2 I thought LJ was the best way to go. I'm thinking Peterson may have been available still when I took Deuce in the 3rd round... Wow, what a crappy draft, and yet I've still got the 2nd most points in the league thanks to stealing Moss in the 6th.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    hehe, I had the 3rd pick and after LT and Stephen Davis went 1-2 I thought LJ was the best way to go. I'm thinking Peterson may have been available still when I took Deuce in the 3rd round... Wow, what a crappy draft, and yet I've still got the 2nd most points in the league thanks to stealing Moss in the 6th.
    Wow, I want to be in your league. :P

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Wow, I want to be in your league. :P
    Eh, Stephen Jackson... some Stephen guy who's about as bust as the guys chosen around him!
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    Eh, Stephen Jackson... some Stephen guy who's about as bust as the guys chosen around him!
    Yeah, at this point you wouldn't be much worse off if you did draft Stephen Davis. :lol:

I'm really glad I took Addai with the third overall pick.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3097057

This is absolutely ridiculous. Nothing against Don Shula and the '72 Fins, who I have the utmost respect for, but this screams of sour grapes to me. They make far too big of a deal about their undefeated season as it is. Sure, spygate was uncool and the Pats deserved the punishment they received, but you cannot watch this team on the field and question whether they are the real deal. Without spygate, do you really think the Jets had a chance anyway?

For the record, I hate the Pats, but this might be a team for the ages.

Agreed. As much as I can't stand the Pats, this is whiny nonsense from Shula. Hell, they aren't even undefeated yet. They still have to play Pittsburgh, and decide whether they want to rest their starters for the last two games of the season.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    For the record, I hate the Pats, but this might be a team for the ages.
    I agree. They're a lot like the Cowboys dynasty in the 90s, both in the way they were an unstoppable team, and how they had an in-conference rival.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I agree. They're a lot like the Cowboys dynasty in the 90s, both in the way they were an unstoppable team, and how they had an in-conference rival.
    It is still early, but they look better than those Cowboys teams to me. They are very similar to the 1989 SF 49ers in style, but even more dominant when you look at the scores.

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    It is still early, but they look better than those Cowboys teams to me. They are very similar to the 1989 SF 49ers in style, but even more dominant when you look at the scores.
    Yeah, because they run it up.

:runs:

But right now, with bias out of the way, I'd like to ask this question to spark discussion: Will the Pats go 16-0?

615 Film
    Letterboxd

But right now, with bias out of the way, I'd like to ask this question to spark discussion: Will the Pats go 16-0?
    The only road block they have left is Pittsburgh, and that game is in New England. If they decide to go for the record rather than resting guys the last couple weeks, there isn't any reason they can't run the table. And we're not talking 16-0, but 19-0. The Colts are the only team that can take them down, and I just don't see that happening in Foxboro in January.

I thought about that, too, but the Steelers play in crummy weather conditions during the time of the game they play the Pats, and after they annihilated the Ravens D on Monday, I feel like they have enough offense to compete against the Pats.

And I feel like there's a 99.9% chance that Belicheck, knowing him, will start everyone in the last couple games. But I'm not ruling out the .1%. If Belicheck is a genius, he would know to rest his starters.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I believe Belichick would love to play his starters for the first quarter, maybe first half of their last game and score enough points to take them out. The problem lies in the fact that they play the Giants in an away game and it would likely require having the starters in through most of the game.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Director
    If Belicheck is a genius, he would know to rest his starters.
    Letting them only play 3 quarters to stay fresh and reduce the possibility of injury is probably a good thing but I'm not sure sitting them for weeks on end is particularly wise, especially when they'll get a bye week to rest up.

Look at Indy in 2005 when they pretty much rested their starters the final two games of the season, had a bye week, and then proceeded to suck it up in their first game back.

Yeah, I actually think it's more beneficial for teams to let their players play the first half of their last game. Indy is the perfect example. They couldn't get anything going in that game against Pittsburgh. They looked terrible.

You know who I think could surprise New England in the playoffs? Tennessee. They've had a great defense, and their running game can't be stopped. That would certainly slow the game down, and I can see that going to their advantage.

That would happen in the playoffs though.

Will they go 16-0? It's all in the hands of the Giants and Steelers. Both of which can beat them

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    You know who I think could surprise New England in the playoffs? Tennessee. They've had a great defense, and their running game can't be stopped. That would certainly slow the game down, and I can see that going to their advantage.

That would happen in the playoffs though.

Will they go 16-0? It's all in the hands of the Giants and Steelers. Both of which can beat them
    No to all of these. The Pats are smart enough to focus on the Titans running game, and know that Vince Young can't beat you with his arm. Vrabel and Bruschi and co. are fast enough at LB that they can spy Young so he doesn't run far.

As for the Giants and Steelers, the only one who could beat them is Pittsburgh and even they don't have much of a chance. The Giants don't have a chance in hell if the Pats start their first string. You think Eli can beat them when Peyton couldn't? They'll eat Eli alive. He doesn't stand a chance. And while their pass rush is phenomenal, their CB play is suspect and Moss will have a field day.

Director
    Vince Young only knows how to win! Hooray!

Report: LJ out for season

Larry Johnson, RB KC

News: According to a report from the TV station KDVR in Denver, Chiefs RB Larry Johnson is out for the season. The story said that a source within the Chiefs organization with direct knowledge of the situation has confirmed the injury. Johnson had suffered a mid-foot sprain in the fourth quarter of last Sunday's 33-22 loss to the Packers. However, the TV station has reported that Johnson has a broken bone in his foot. Kansas City coach Herm Edwards said Tuesday that Johnson would be highly questionable for Sunday's game against the Broncos, but Edwards declined to speculate on how long Johnson might be out, saying he did not have enough information.
    Way to go, Herm. Give your franchise RB 416 carries and then be shocked when his career is ruined. Let's go over the list of 400 carry backs...

416 - Larry Johnson - Broken bone in foot, could miss a year or more.
    410 - Jamal Anderson - Played 2 games the following year. Never averaged more than 3.6ypc again.
    407 - James Wilder - Injury plagued and missed 35 games over the next 6 seasons.
    404 - Eric Dickerson - Only played in 12 games the following 2 seasons.
    403 - Eddie George - Never averaged more than a terrible 3.4ypc again.
    392 - Terrell Davis - Not 400 but including it anyways. This 2000 yard season basically ended his career. Shanahan hasn't had a RB with over 300 carries since, and with good reason.

I think Pats CAN go 16-0 (19-0), but I don't know if they WILL... There's that any given Sunday thing, plus staying healthy and all that. They looked beatable this past Sunday, and probably should have lost. They're good enough to do it, but I'm not sure they will do it.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

As a lot of you are saying, I think the Pats can do it they don't rest their players. I also think that Belichick would love nothing more than to shove a perfect season up every other coach's ass and Don Shula's too.

I see it happening.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Vince Young only knows how to win! Hooray!

Way to go, Herm. Give your franchise RB 416 carries and then be shocked when his career is ruined. Let's go over the list of 400 carry backs...

416 - Larry Johnson - Broken bone in foot, could miss a year or more.
    410 - Jamal Anderson - Played 2 games the following year. Never averaged more than 3.6ypc again.
    407 - James Wilder - Injury plagued and missed 35 games over the next 6 seasons.
    404 - Eric Dickerson - Only played in 12 games the following 2 seasons.
    403 - Eddie George - Never averaged more than a terrible 3.4ypc again.
    392 - Terrell Davis - Not 400 but including it anyways. This 2000 yard season basically ended his career. Shanahan hasn't had a RB with over 300 carries since, and with good reason.
    I know your right and all, but my response to LJ being gone still is GODDAMNIT! I still think the Chiefs can take the division but I'm now wondering if they'll be able to. The stinkin' Chargers will probably take the AFC West now and KC will miss the playoffs because their running game will be even worse now. Bowie KC needs you to get healthy. Now. If Eddie Kenninsen could somehow recover and come back that would great but very unlikely. Shit. But hey maybe we'll be able to beat the Broncos this week! :|
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Director
    The Denver station may have jumped the gun. They don't have an official word yet but some sites are reporting that LJ may only miss 3-4 weeks, so who knows. Hopefully he'll recover.

If it's a broken foot, then he's likely out until the end of the regular season, and probably not that productive if he comes back. Remember Shaun Alexander last year?

Director
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    the only one who could beat them is Pittsburgh and even they don't have much of a chance.
    I agree with that. I was just poking around and noticed how ridiculously easy the Steelers' schedule is. What's sick is that looking ahead they should reasonably be 10-2 before they even face a good team (I personally don't think the Browns count. Apologies to Cleveland fans.).

At this point I can't even gauge if they're better than a mid-tier playoff caliber team like Jacksonville or Washington never mind if they can go into New England and beat a Pats team that's chasing history.

Page 4 of 522 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast