Page 383 of 522 FirstFirst ... 283333373381382383384385393433483 ... LastLast
Results 9,551 to 9,575 of 13029

Thread: The NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's one of the best rants he's ever done.
    It was amazing.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's one of the best rants he's ever done.
    Not an Olbermann fan, but that was 100% on point.

How in the world can that video exist, and people in the criminal/judicial system not immediately lock his ass up? I can almost understand the NFL and Ravens not getting access because it would probably be Rice or the defense attorney having to give it up. Of course they didn't because they knew how terrible it was.

Now I just wonder if he'll get a shot to play again like Vick. Since he plays a position with little market and was not productive his last season, I'm thinking not.

Director
    Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    Now I just wonder if he'll get a shot to play again like Vick. Since he plays a position with little market and was not productive his last season, I'm thinking not.
    Probably not. RBs are a throwaway position and he's already 28 with high mileage. Vick (his action were worse imo) legitimately served time, set up an anti dog-fighting campaign with the Humane Society, and has by all accounts been a model citizen since. If you believe prison is aimed at rehabilitation, he's a great example.

Meanwhile, Rice and the Ravens PR trotted his wife in front of the media to make her apologize.

Director
    The Bills are being sold to Terry Pegula, an upstate New York billionaire who also owns the Buffalo Sabres and has invested heavily in Buffalo based sports and entertainment centers.

I'm happy for them that they wont be moving to Toronto or anywhere else. Bills Mafia is pretty cool, or at least cooler than Dolphins and Pats fans anyways.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    The Bills are being sold to Terry Pegula, an upstate New York billionaire who also owns the Buffalo Sabres and has invested heavily in Buffalo based sports and entertainment centers.

I'm happy for them that they wont be moving to Toronto or anywhere else. Bills Mafia is pretty cool, or at least cooler than Dolphins and Pats fans anyways.
    Maybe under his ownership, the Bills can go back to something close to the glory days of Jim Kelly and co. or at the very least, the Doug Fluttie ones.

Denver for the pick of the week.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

If the Chiefs use their trio of backs (Charles, Davis, Thomas, plus Sherman who is the FB) and go with two TE sets there is a small, small chance in hell they can win. Actually there's no way in hell they win, but if they do I'll be getting drunk on Sunday in response.

The Bills should be kept in Buffalo. I think at this point I'd even oppose the Jags being moved. The NFL divisions are set already, and the only reason to screw with things would be for the sake of geography.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Denver for the pick of the week.
    Yeh that's one of my picks this week.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Director
    There's like 4 lock no-brainer picks this week and I'm foregoing all of them and deciding between TB or TEN, maybe even WAS.

DEN, GB, NO, and SEA are the ones I'd be 100% comfortable with.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    There's like 4 lock no-brainer picks this week and I'm foregoing all of them and deciding between TB or TEN, maybe even WAS.

DEN, GB, NO, and SEA are the ones I'd be 100% comfortable with.
    The only two of those I'd call locks are DEN and SEA. GB looked bad against a great defense, and the Jets defense looks strong as well. GB's defense is mediocre, so I expect that to be closer than most. Still think GB wins, but I wouldn't call it a lock. NO is probably close to a lock, but CLE looked strong in the second half of that game, and again, their defense is capable of great things.

Saints on the road is never a lock.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Lol some NFL exec saw the video. I bet Goodell knew, but whoever saw it is probably gonna fall on the sword. This shit is crazy.

Director
    Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    Lol some NFL exec saw the video. I bet Goodell knew, but whoever saw it is gonna fall on the sword. This shit is crazy.
    The NFL exec on tape thanking LE for receiving the video is a woman. A woman being scapegoated and fired over this would be the perfect cherry on this shit.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-ne...video-sent-nfl

Moving the Bills seems like a yearly discussion along with changing the Redskins name. It always comes up, but it seems like it's just for the sake of having discussion.

The Jags should be moved. The city doesn't do much to support that team, and it wouldn't be missed. Los Angeles would certainly be a profitable move.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I still insist they should move the Raiders to LA.

Yeah I would rather see the Raiders move back to LA instead. If the Jags move that will screw up the divisions.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Director
    Shad Khan just spent like $100m adding party decks, pools, and a field length LCD to Jacksonville. If anyone moves, it's definitely the Raiders. They should move too. Like 90% of the fanbase is in LA.
    -----
    Also, heh...

@slashdot
    Microsoft paid the NFL $400 million to use Surface, but announcers call them iPads

http://www.businessinsider.com/micro...e-ipads-2014-9

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    Lol some NFL exec saw the video. I bet Goodell knew, but whoever saw it is probably gonna fall on the sword. This shit is crazy.
    Here's the alibi:
    Where was Goodell at Masters when the tape arrived

That'll sure endear him to the people.

Goodell may not have known, but that's not the point. He should have known, and I wonder if some high ranking NFL executive kept it from him for plausible deniability. They've basically been in CYA mode ever since the concussion lawsuit.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Another gem from KO:

Gonna be honest, I have a hard time getting riled up over this "he saw the video"/"he didn't see the video" hoopla. Right now, it feels like another one of those Twitter-rage deals that's diverted attention away from what people are really upset about. The very fact that this pointless "independent investigation" is even occurring is because people like Olbermann are whipping the Twitter mob into a frenzy.

People don't like Roger Goodell. I suppose this is a good excuse to oust him. But let's be honest. A lot of this outrage is simply about people disliking him for independent reasons, so it seems kinda crass to use this issue as a springboard to getting rid of him. I don't see much outrage over the fact that John Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome didn't demand the video from Rice. Why? I assume it's because people like those guys.

Goodell horribly misjudged the public's sensitivity to this issue. Whether he saw the tape or he didn't see the tape, I'm not sure why it really matters or why this has become the focal point of everything. The NFL knew what Rice did (w/ or w/o the extended video), and they misjudged the public's perception of their punishment, pure and simple. He even conceded that weeks ago. To me, the conspiracy ends there. People are treating this as if there was some nefarious plot to ignore the video. Why? The NFL had utterly nothing to gain from doing that. They suspend their superstars all the time; why would they try to prop up Ray Rice of all people?

If he lied about seeing the video, then yeah, he screwed up royally. If he honestly didn't see it, then OK, whatever. What exactly are we mad about? That he doesn't have the omnipotent power to know who's receiving what in the mail?
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Not often I read anything by Bill Simmons for anything other than a quick laugh and general coverage, but this week is solid and detailed. The Mortensen and Peter King links also suggest that if someone in the main NFL-to-journalist ranks knew about it back in July, why didn't Goodell?

I'm frustrated by every aspect of this case. That it took until the video was released to get the Ravens to actually acknowledge they'd horribly botched their press of it, that SF and Carolina still haven't seen fit to judge their players any better. Yes, this will end up being a smear campaign on Goodell; I'm curious how long the owners will wait to turn on him, if at all.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

What makes me scratch my head is how the NFL gets to remain classified as a non-profit.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    And don't have to pay taxes. Yup. America. Fuck yeh!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The cover-up is always worse than the crime.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Director
    I took the Redskins in both my survivor pools. Gambooool.