Page 19 of 522 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL Discussion Thread

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    On ESPN and some other sports writings I've read, people thought the Dolphins would actually win out of some weird type of irony, and because the Dolphins have stopped other teams from getting the record before.
    Those people should be fired. Immediately.

Director
    Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    I'm in my league's championship game and have finally benched the Bears defense. Worst 5th round pick ever.
    This was apparently a bad move. Now I only have a small lead heading into tonight.

I went digging and found this from d7. Here goes:

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I have a theory: Tony Romo does not play well under pressure (and not in the pass rush sense).

That article already points out the choke jobs during the Underwood and Simpson games. Here's some other examples taken from the three most highly viewed games he's ever played:

1. The playoff game in Seattle last season. Dallas is a chip-in field goal away from virtually assuring victory. He botches the snap and forces Bill Parcels into retirement.
    I'll give you this, I can't really debate that he blew this play. But the loss can't be attributed specifically to Romo here, what about Glenn's fumble?

2. Monday Night Football vs. The Bills. It's the biggest regular season stage in Football. How does Romo respond? 5 INTs and 6 TOs.
    What about when the pressure was really on him when the boys were down the fourth quarter? What's he do: drives 80 yards for a TD to set up the onside. I can understand the pressure going into it, but at this point it was win or lose and Romo showed up brilliantly.

3. Sunday Night Football vs. The Patriots. It was the marquee game of the season up to that point and was broadcast nationally. New England blows out Dallas 48-27.
    This loss wasn't his fault. He didn't have an exceptional game, but he managed to have 2 TD's against a very strong NE defense. Dallas just could not stop Tom Brady in the second half, when NE was able to pull 3 and outs, Dallas couldn't keep up. This was just a tough, tough game.

Romo should be thanking his lucky stars that most of the country couldn't actually watch the NFL Network game against Greenbay.
    Why? Because of his 300 yards and 4 TD's? The Cowboys beat this team to the ground in nearly every area, except special teams.

Look out for the Cowboys. I predict NE v. Dallas, with NE taking it. I wish people would give this team more credit, though.

Quote Quoting krazed (view post)
    I went digging and found this from d7. Here goes:

I'll give you this, I can't really debate that he blew this play. But the loss can't be attributed specifically to Romo here, what about Glenn's fumble?
    If Romo handles the snap, they win the game. It's as simple as that.

What about when the pressure was really on him when the boys were down the fourth quarter? What's he do: drives 80 yards for a TD to set up the onside. I can understand the pressure going into it, but at this point it was win or lose and Romo showed up brilliantly.
    It was still an atrocious game on Monday Night Football. By all accounts, Dallas should not have won that game. No playoff team is going to give Romo that kind of leeway.

This loss wasn't his fault. He didn't have an exceptional game, but he managed to have 2 TD's against a very strong NE defense. Dallas just could not stop Tom Brady in the second half, when NE was able to pull 3 and outs, Dallas couldn't keep up. This was just a tough, tough game.
    It wasn't a terrible performance, and the Pats are a great team. However, it was still a mediocre effort, at home, in a huge game. There are defenses in the NFC that are arguably more well-rounded than that of the Pats (namely Seattle - 4 pro-bowlers on Defense). There's nothing but tough, tough games in the playoffs.

Why? Because of his 300 yards and 4 TD's? The Cowboys beat this team to the ground in nearly every area, except special teams.
    A 10-point victory, at home, with Favre going down in the second quarter hardly indicates a "beat down." Anyway, the point was that this was a Thursday Night NFL Network game where the lights aren't burning as bright. It's still true that Romo has yet to show up, in a big way, in a nationally spotlighted game.

I wish people would give this team more credit, though.
    Are you serious? The media has been all over the Cowboys' nuts all season. If I have to hear another commentator anoint Tony Romo as the second coming of Brett Favre, as if this observation hasn't already been made a million times, I might have to break something. They receive more coverage than anyone other than the Pats, which is ridiculous considering they'd be no better than 4th if they played in the AFC.

Well. The Vikings are showing their true nature again.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Director
    Current draft standings with SoS tiebreaker...

1. Miami (1-14) 0.5385***Clinched top pick
    2. St. Louis (3-12) 0.5121
    3. New York (3-12) 0.5221
    4. Atlanta (3-12) 0.5301
    5. Kansas City (4-11) 0.5010
    6. Oakland (4-11) 0.5142
    7. Baltimore (4-10) 0.5143

The good news is that San Fran winning today guarantees that the Patriots will not pick ahead of the Jets. Next week's Jets/Chiefs game is big in determining whether we pick 2nd/3rd or fall to 7th.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Current draft standings with SoS tiebreaker...

1. Miami (1-14) 0.5385***Clinched top pick
    2. St. Louis (3-12) 0.5121
    3. New York (3-12) 0.5221
    4. Atlanta (3-12) 0.5301
    5. Kansas City (4-11) 0.5010
    6. Oakland (4-11) 0.5142
    7. Baltimore (4-10) 0.5143

The good news is that San Fran winning today guarantees that the Patriots will not pick ahead of the Jets. Next week's Jets/Chiefs game is big in determining whether we pick 2nd/3rd or fall to 7th.
    I'm calling it right now - the Jets are getting Darren McFadden.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Director
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I'm calling it right now - the Jets are getting Darren McFadden.
    McFadden or Chris Long, I'd take either one and be pretty happy.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Hey, Laurence Maroney had a couple of long runs! Sweet, our running game isn't a complete sham!
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I think the Chiefs should throw the last game. My favorite NFL team should pull out all the stops to get a higher draft pick. I didn't think they do well this season but still 2007-2008 has been so goddamn ugly it hurts.

THANKS GREEN BAY FOR PISSING AWAY HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE!!! Yesterday's shit performance left me so pissed off I threw things at my TV. I wanted to kill a Bear's fan. Argh.

Well the Bills once again gave me false hope that they would win and then lost in typical Buffalo fashion. Still 7-9 will be decent considering that JP Losman started and killed the Bills offense earlier on and Trent Edwards had to help get them in the right direction. Lynch will be a beast next season.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    THANKS GREEN BAY FOR PISSING AWAY HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE!!! Yesterday's shit performance left me so pissed off I threw things at my TV. I wanted to kill a Bear's fan. Argh.
    Yeah at school I'm the only one in my residence hall that's a Packers fan, while everyone else is a Bears fan, so I got plenty of text messages from my friends making fun of the Packers. But MadMan I didn't show my anger as much as you did - like when the punt was blocked and returned for a touchdown I just shook my head angrily. Not that there's anything wrong with what you did.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Hey shaun how did you find the strength of schedule for each team? And here's my draft predictions with that top 5:

1. Miami (1-14) - Glenn Dorsey, DT - LSU
    2. St. Louis (3-12) - Chris Long, DE - Virginia
    3. New York (3-12) - Darren McFadden, RB - Arkansas
    4. Atlanta (3-12) - Brian Brohm, QB - Louisville
    5. Kansas City (4-11) - Jake Long, OT - Michigan

EDIT: But I think the Chiefs will beat the Jets this Sunday so the Raiders will take Jake Long.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Yeah at school I'm the only one in my residence hall that's a Packers fan, while everyone else is a Bears fan, so I got plenty of text messages from my friends making fun of the Packers. But MadMan I didn't show my anger as much as you did - like when the punt was blocked and returned for a touchdown I just shook my head angrily. Not that there's anything wrong with what you did.
    Oh damn that sucks. And yes I think my response was restrained heh. But hey the proper response is "Oh look. Green Bay's going to the playoffs. Chicago is staying home and getting a high lottery pick. Hah."
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    THANKS GREEN BAY FOR PISSING AWAY HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE!!!
    Blame the punter. Seriously, I've never seen a punter have such a detrimental effect on a game.

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    Blame the punter. Seriously, I've never seen a punter have such a detrimental effect on a game.
    I honestly will punch the punter's lights out if I ever run into him. What the hell happened to him? He pretty much helped cost Green Bay the game. Sure Brett Farve had two interceptions but the Packers should have pounded the rock more anyways. I'm scratching my head about the game plan that Green Bay had yesterday...
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Director
    Hey shaun how did you find the strength of schedule for each team? And here's my draft predictions with that top 5:
    Draft nerds on the Jets forums with way too much time on their hands, combined opponent win % or something like that. This thread is updated after most games...

http://jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155931

Director
    Bill Simmons' wife writes a victory column after kicking his ass this season picking football games against the spread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/071228

Eventually he corrupted Bill, who named his L.A. team after the bar in "Road House" and nicknamed them the Double D's, then wrote about this in a column like it was something to be proud of. He should have called his team "Sperm Bank," because that's about all he's contributed to our two-child house during football season.
    Excellent

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Bob Sanders is now the highest paid safety in the league.

If anyone deserves it, it's Bob Sanders. I was afraid they were going to let him walk away. Should have known better from Polian & Co.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Bob Sanders is now the highest paid safety in the league.

If anyone deserves it, it's Bob Sanders. I was afraid they were going to let him walk away. Should have known better from Polian & Co.
    Agreed. Bob Sanders gets a lot of exposure, but he's really underrated for what he does on the field and the difference he makes for his team.

Director
    I heard about it and didn't believe it but a spot check of the Colts roster shows all 22 starters playing their entire careers with Indy.

How is that even possible in the era of FA?

I heard about it and didn't believe it but a spot check of the Colts roster shows all 22 starters playing their entire careers with Indy.

How is that even possible in the era of FA?
    Their bench is different every year probably.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Gah, what a typical Eli game. So much potential, and a costly turnover kills their chances anyway. Still, 16-0 must be applauded. Now to see if anyone can knock NE off in the postseason.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Gah, what a typical Eli game. So much potential, and a costly turnover kills their chances anyway. Still, 16-0 must be applauded. Now to see if anyone can knock NE off in the postseason.
    I didn't even remember this was on tonight. WTF with Saturday NFL games?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I applaud the Pats on their perfect regular season. I know I was really negative about them earlier this year, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this year's Pats are truly great.

My main reason for my criticisms of the Pats was mainly because of Bill Belichick. He does appear to be a douchebag in his press conferences, but that's either because he really is a douchebag in real life, or he hates the media, and I'm kinda leaning towards the latter.

As far as running up the score, he was sending a message to the players/'72 Dolphins' criticisms of them, and if you're getting embarrassed and don't like it, play better.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

You have to give the Patriots credit for being 16-0, but the individual records are a bit of a joke. I'd bet good money that Peyton Manning sat out many more fourth quarters during his record breaking season than Brady did this year. I'd also wager that the Colts relied heavily on the running game during big lead situations whereas the Patriots obviously refused to do that. Also, Jerry Rice only played 12 games (strike shortened season) during his record breaking year. There's no way Moss catches him if Rice plays the full 16 that year.