Page 10 of 522 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL Discussion Thread

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    True.

Of course, Darrent Williams was someone that we never would have thought of as someone getting shot, and it happened last year in an area that I frequently walk through in Denver.

I guess it could happen to anyone.
    Certainly, that's why I added the "surprised" bit. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the players I mentioned was shot.

Quote Quoting Antoine (view post)
    In the groin, huh? That's probably not where I would choose to get shot.
    Yikes. That's the last place I would want to get shot. Well besides the heart, lungs and brain of course. And aside from the fact I never want to get shot.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I wouldn't wish a 3-0 loss on even the team I hate the most in the NFL (the Broncos). That's just awful for the hapless Dolphins. The Fish are gunning for the '76-'77 Bucs record of 0-26 over two seasons and are also on their way to becoming the first 0-16 team in the league's history. That field was just a muddy mess.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

3-0 football! Gotta love it!
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I wouldn't wish a 3-0 loss on even the team I hate the most in the NFL (the Broncos). That's just awful for the hapless Dolphins. The Fish are gunning for the '76-'77 Bucs record of 0-26 over two seasons and are also on their way to becoming the first 0-16 team in the league's history. That field was just a muddy mess.
    If the Dolphins went without a win and had their unbeaten season bested in the same year, I would laugh. Heartily.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    If the Dolphins went without a win and had their unbeaten season bested in the same year, I would laugh. Heartily.
    Okay I'm not gonna lie: that does sound hilarious. I'm a long time Fish hater myself. And I'm tired of hearing Don Shula whine and bitch about the Pats team that may break his record and how they should have an astrisk next to them if they do it. If NE somehow goes all the way Shula suck it up like a man and deal with it. Same goes for all the members of the '72 Dolphins. I know that's a late reaction to what happened a while back but that's my take on the whole thing. Better late than never I suppose...
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Let's not get too excited. The Dolphins play the Jets next week. I'm with Spinal though, that would be too funny. I just wish it wasn't the Pats doing it.

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Did anyone see Ricky Williams get cleated last night? God-DAMN.

Also, I despised how the announcers were slamming his effort. How 'bout you old fuckers go and suit up and play in that shit?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

What I find hard to believe is that after previous break-in attempts, the intruders were able to gain access all the way up to Taylor's bedroom without being detected. They've got things called alarms and gates and guard dogs nowadays.

Apparently he got his home security from the same place as George Harrison.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    :cry:

He was one of the best young talents in the NFL. R.I.P.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Director
    Wow. That sucks.

I joked that it wasn't surprising because he's sort of on my short list of players that I expect bad stuff to happen to, like Kellen Winslow and Chris Henry.

Hopefully they catch the person who did it.

Awful news. R.I.P.

I still think this might be stemming from a can of worms he opened at some point.

They broke into his house and took nothing (just left the knife on the bed). A week later they come back, shoot him, and take nothing again.

It's pretty sad to hear about the kid die and I'm by no means saying "he asked for it", but the story from day one just stinks of personal/business vendetta. Knowing Sean Taylor as a bit of a lunatic (strange recluse, pistol whipping millionaire, etc.) and his struggle to detach himself from the hood, this just looks like a planned hit.

If it were just robbery, I'm sure the burglars could've gotten away with a ton of stuff, or Taylor would've given up some stuff if he knew he was facing a gun.

Just doesn't fit the model of a "normal" home invasion. Ironically it was probably part of Sean Taylors plea bargain and probation that he could not own a gun himself, for protection.

But seriously, if some dudes broke into your house and left a knife on your bed, wouldn't you get the hell out of there? He has the means to do it. At least get yourself an Akita, or take more precautions.

It does make sense to me. The robbers probably figured that he was playing on Sunday night, far away from home, with nobody at home. They break in, most likely knowing how to crack the system or disfiguring it, and when Sean comes out of his bedroom, they freak out, shoot him, and leave quickly before the cops come.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Did anyone see Ricky Williams get cleated last night? God-DAMN.

Also, I despised how the announcers were slamming his effort. How 'bout you old fuckers go and suit up and play in that shit?
    That I did. And even though I'm not the biggest fan of his comeback but the announcers were slamming a guy who hadn't been on the field in two years? Wow. Just wow. That's idiotic. I don't like the CBS broadcasting team but I didn't hear any of them badmouth Priest Holmes' efforts when he returned to play for a short stint. To be able to condition yourself into playing shape at an age when most players retire or start to consider leaving the game is impressive to me.

Its a damn shame about Taylor. I was shocked to read the news last night considering the doctors thought he was making progress. RIP man.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    It does make sense to me. The robbers probably figured that he was playing on Sunday night, far away from home, with nobody at home. They break in, most likely knowing how to crack the system or disfiguring it, and when Sean comes out of his bedroom, they freak out, shoot him, and leave quickly before the cops come.
    But they already successfully broke in once, didn't take anything, and just left a knife on his bed. If their goal was to rob the place, they could have done it the first time.

Yet another fallen alum from The U.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    he lasted longer than I originally expected.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    That was hysterical though. Lawrence Timmons used Ricky as a stepping stone to recover the fumble, and because of that, Ricky's out for the year. :lol:
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    That was hysterical though. Lawrence Timmons used Ricky as a stepping stone to recover the fumble, and because of that, Ricky's out for the year. :lol:
    Hysterical? Grow up.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Hysterical? Grow up.
    I'd say.

Last night on PTI Tony Kornheiser defended Ricky Williams, saying that the guy deserved a fair shake to try again and such. I kind of agree with him, but I'd say age wise and such Williams may be done for good.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

In a move nobody expected after Sean Taylor's murder Jason Whitlock has prepared this feast for the eyes:

Jason Whitlock
    FOXSports.com, Updated 4 hours ago

There's a reason I call them the Black KKK. The pain, the fear and the destruction are all the same.

Someone who loved Sean Taylor is crying right now. The life they knew has been destroyed, an 18-month-old baby lost her father, and, if you're a black man living in America, you've been reminded once again that your life is in constant jeopardy of violent death.

The Black KKK claimed another victim, a high-profile professional football player with a checkered past this time.

No, we don't know for certain the circumstances surrounding Taylor's death. I could very well be proven wrong for engaging in this sort of aggressive speculation. But it's no different than if you saw a fat man fall to the ground clutching his chest. You'd assume a heart attack, and you'd know, no matter the cause, the man needed to lose weight.

Well, when shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement, there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger. That's not some negative, unfair stereotype. It's a reality we've been living with, tolerating and rationalizing for far too long.

When the traditional, white KKK lynched, terrorized and intimidated black folks at a slower rate than its modern-day dark-skinned replacement, at least we had the good sense to be outraged and in no mood to contemplate rationalizations or be fooled by distractions.

Our new millennium strategy is to pray the Black KKK goes away or ignores us. How's that working?

About as well as the attempt to shift attention away from this uniquely African-American crisis by focusing on an "injustice" the white media allegedly perpetrated against Sean Taylor.

Within hours of his death, there was a story circulating that members of the black press were complaining that news outlets were disrespecting Taylor's victimhood by reporting on his troubled past

No disrespect to Taylor, but he controlled the way he would be remembered by the way he lived. His immature, undisciplined behavior with his employer, his run-ins with law enforcement, which included allegedly threatening a man with a loaded gun, and the fact a vehicle he owned was once sprayed with bullets are all pertinent details when you've been murdered.

Marcellus Wiley, a former NFL player, made the radio circuit Wednesday, singing the tune that athletes are targets. That was his explanation for the murders of Taylor and Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams and the armed robberies of NBA players Antoine Walker and Eddy Curry.

Really?

Let's cut through the bull(manure) and deal with reality. Black men are targets of black men. Period. Go check the coroner's office and talk with a police detective. These bullets aren't checking W-2s.

Rather than whine about white folks' insensitivity or reserve a special place of sorrow for rich athletes, we'd be better served mustering the kind of outrage and courage it took in the 1950s and 1960s to stop the white KKK from hanging black men from trees.

But we don't want to deal with ourselves. We take great joy in prescribing medicine to cure the hate in other people's hearts. Meanwhile, our self-hatred, on full display for the world to see, remains untreated, undiagnosed and unrepentant.

Our self-hatred has been set to music and reinforced by a pervasive culture that promotes a crab-in-barrel mentality.

You're damn straight I blame hip hop for playing a role in the genocide of American black men. When your leading causes of death and dysfunction are murder, ignorance and incarceration, there's no reason to give a free pass to a culture that celebrates murder, ignorance and incarceration.

Of course there are other catalysts, but until we recapture the minds of black youth, convince them that it's not OK to "super man dat ho" and end any and every dispute by "cocking on your bitch," nothing will change.

Does a Soulja Boy want an education?

HBO did a fascinating documentary on Little Rock Central High School, the Arkansas school that required the National Guard so that nine black kids could attend in the 1950s. Fifty years later, the school is one of the nation's best in terms of funding and educational opportunities. It's 60 percent black and located in a poor black community.

Watch the documentary and ask yourself why nine poor kids in the '50s risked their lives to get a good education and a thousand poor black kids today ignore the opportunity that is served to them on a platter.

Blame drugs, blame Ronald Reagan, blame George Bush, blame it on the rain or whatever. There's only one group of people who can change the rotten, anti-education, pro-violence culture our kids have adopted. We have to do it.

According to reports, Sean Taylor had difficulty breaking free from the unsavory characters he associated with during his youth.

The "keepin' it real" mantra of hip hop is in direct defiance to evolution. There's always someone ready to tell you you're selling out if you move away from the immature and dangerous activities you used to do, you're selling out if you speak proper English, embrace education, dress like a grown man, do anything mainstream.

The Black KKK is enforcing the same crippling standards as its parent organization. It wants to keep black men in their place — uneducated, outside the mainstream and six feet deep.

In all likelihood, the Black Klan and its mentality buried Sean Taylor, and any black man or boy reading this could be next.

Wow. Those are strong words. Whitlock is a phenomenal writer.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Wow. Those are strong words. Whitlock is a phenomenal writer.
    Agreed on some level. I do think he is honestly outraged (in general), but he's become the most predictable writer out there. He forces it onto the pages.