Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20 chick flicks that make me feel like a man.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I'd prob. label Eternal Sunshine a chick fllick.
    gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!! i don't understand how people keep track of this thing. another entry that's needed to be added somewhere.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!! i don't understand how people keep track of this thing. another entry that's needed to be added somewhere.
    You can always go the bac0n route.

I really enjoyed When Harry Met Sally as a kid. I should rewatch it sometime.

And I still haven't gotten around to seeing Brokeback Mountain. It's not one I'd actively seek out in a store, but maybe it'll be on TV sometime.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

since i screw up, so here we have our first tie-up.

10. Virtual Sexuality (1999)

a british comedy hardly known by anyone. in fact so hardly known that i cannot find one good image from the web. instead i post the picture of the lead, the gorgeous laura "a knight's tale" fraser. virtual sexuality is a sci-fi version of american pie. fraser is a chick who enters some sorta dating machine. she inputs the profiles of her dream boy, and instead of finding one for he, the machine turns her into that dream boy. complication ensues, and that's not even half the weird. the movie offers a fun and wacky approach to sexual perversion: gayism, lesbianism, narcissism; all in one scene! a philip k dick's teen/sex rom com.

10. Threesome (1994)

american pie is generally recognized as a trend setter, but back in 1994, there is this little but wonderful coming-of-age film regarding sex life in college. the movie is true to its name; the threesome consists of a girl, a straight, and one confused gay man. it is rude, rowdy, and graphic. (some version of it is rated NC-17.) sex not as a mean to violence or pleasure, but simply people fucking each other. 'till these days it's one of the most honest films about sex and teenagers. (in fact is there an honest film about the subject? definitely not that as-fake-as-it-can-get chasing amy.) its only main flaw, i think, is the forced climax.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    10. Threesome (1994)

coming-of-age film regarding sex life in college... the forced climax.
    I would expect nothing less.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I would expect nothing less.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey, I've actually seen Virtual Sexuality. Didn't like it, but I liked Laura Fraser in in. She should be in more movies.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    14. Kate & Leopold (2001)

this chick flick makes me feel like a homosexual.
    I'm highly offended.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

an irrelevant sidenote here, i'm a fan of gondry and an dissenter of kaufman. i consider this their best collaboration as well as their best film. i like the movie less than other people although there is a real potential for me to really really love it. my dream project is to master some sorta editing program and cut the last five or more minutes of the movie. the perfect ending imo is when carrey wakes up, and we realize the two will eventually meet and come together. [
    ] i know that will make for one incomplete movie, and as it is, the movie does a good job addressing the central issue.

and yet, that's where i like the movie to end. on the beach.

Jackman is great in Kate and Leopold.

Voltage!!!
    Solid list. Amélie, Love Actually and [that movie one page back that I don't remember] are all great.

I hope What Women Want won't appear on this list.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

there is few movie i hate more than what women want. :evil:

8. Labyrinth (1986)

about four or five months ago, i watched this in theatre, and it still kicks all kinda ass. even the out-dated effects are endearing. everyone either loves labyrinth or hasn't seen it. if you're belong to the latter group, what're you doing right now!! the question is, if 'tis a chick flick. i always consider labyrinth a sort of movie phantom of the opera should be if done right. bowie's jared is the picture perfect of eric the phantom. a spoiled prince of darkness with unlimited power and resource but whose only flaw is his falling for a flaky femme. i can't weigh if this movie has more appeal to which gender. guys love it for it has an illegal jennifer connelly. i always have a friendly, harmless crush on any girl who digs it for bowie's sake.

I love Labyrinth, but I dunno if it's a chick flick. I rank it more in the "little lost girl" sub-genre of fantasy, with The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland.

Jennifer Connelly is the greatest piece of jailbait in movie history. Goddamn, girl.

Every girl I know seems to love Labyrinth. Somehow, it is a chick flick.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

7. The Princess Bride (1987)

conceivably if there is any film from the 80s more universally liked than labyrinth, it's the princess bride. the movie's inconceivably such a cross-genre from fantasy to rom com. you know the mantra: if you try to be liked by everyone, you'll end up being liked by no one. the princess bride inconceivably break the rule. this movie has everything for everyone -- ok except musical montage, damn you, rob reiner!

and my favorite exchange.

Inigo: I admit it, you are better than I am.
    Man in black: Then why are you smiling?
    Inigo: Because I know something you don't know.
    Man in black: And what is that?
    Inigo: [switching hands] I am not left-handed!
    [Inigo switches to his right hand, and appears to overwhelm the Man in black]
    Man in black: You're amazing!
    Inigo: I ought to be after twenty years.
    Man in black: [struggling to keep Inigo away] There's something I ought to tell you.
    Inigo: Tell me!
    Man in black: I'm not left-handed either.

personal favorite monologue

Wesley: Wrong! Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why; so that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness is yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman that cries out, 'dear god what is that thing!' will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

this can go on forever.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)

Jennifer Connelly is the greatest piece of jailbait in movie history. Goddamn, girl.
    I'm looking at you Once Upon a Time in America.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

i'm going away to france for a week. before that i want to leave you guys with two "honorable mentioned." i love these movies to death, but they're sorta stuffs no one on this board probably has ever heard of or will see.

H. Love of Siam (2008)

the best thing about this movie is the marketing ploy; from the one-sheet, trailer, released images, to what not, you will conclude its being standard asian rom dramedy. but it's not. it's a homosexual love story between two illegal boys. imagine a riot it created among the opening week audiences. the reaction on web boards (for and against) is raving madness. it's the event by itself. seeing this in theatre among unsuspected audiences' literally screaming is the experience i'll cherish to the end of days. the movie is also quite good; it wins best picture at thai academy award ceremony.

H. Wanee wa Junah (2001)

i don't understand korean fever, especially other asian countries' obsession with k-pop. (i can sorta understand k-art house. hong hang-soo is among new directors i have a lot of respect for.) never mention kwak jae-yong or jun ji-hyun in my presence, or i'll go :frustrated:. among countless korean romantic films, Wanee wa Junah is the only one i have an affection for. it's sweet, nuance and a bit perverted in an incestuous kinda way. and just like most asian films nowadays -- even the worse one -- the cinematography is top-notched, breath-taking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123