Page 63 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 2028

Thread: Gastronomy - The Food & Drink Thread

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Anybody else think gyro meat is one of the best meats there is? If it were socially acceptable to chow down on just a plate of gyro meat, I would do it.
    Sign me up.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

a question for those fine cut 'o meat connisseurs amongst us..

* cough * Scar, Bacon * cough *

Is there ever an occasion when you'll use a steak sauce on a steak?

I don't usually, because imo it rarely enhances the experience. I know of only one exception, and I broke down and ordered a price-inflated pack of four bottles from Amazon (the manufacturer/distributor quit selling it in the southeast US many years ago) this week. Price, including shipping for the 4-pack? $40.

Yes, it's that good. It's "steak sauce of the gods" good. Nothing else even comes close to the taste.

Just wondered if either of you had ever tried it before.

"We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

No.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    No.
    this.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I figured as much.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    On a top sirloin at my in-laws, yes. The stuff I make at my house or order at a decent restaurant? Not a chance.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Never. Salt, pepper & butter. Done.

Steak sauce is good on hamburgers.

Steak sauce is good on hamburgers.
    It's even better in hamburgers. I add a little L&P to the ground beef when I make my burgers.

Is this whole Gluten-free fad a bunch of bullshit? A lot of my Portland friends who started running marathons and who don't have televisions are now gluten-free. What's up with that?

No good beer? LOL!

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Is this whole Gluten-free fad a bunch of bullshit? A lot of my Portland friends who started running marathons and who don't have televisions are now gluten-free. What's up with that?

No good beer? LOL!
    I've met one person in my entire life who was diagnosed with celiac and who would actually get sick from eating gluten. The rest are fakers or fooling themselves.

I've met one person in my entire life who was diagnosed with celiac and who would actually get sick from eating gluten. The rest are fakers or fooling themselves.
    Right. Celiac is real, and pretty rare from what I've read.

So why are so many people gluten-free? Is this like the new Atkins diet or something?

Is it like riding double-decker bikes and unicycles while wearing top hats and steampunk goggles?

My grandfather is a restrictive eater (vegetarian, pretty much no preservatives or processed food.) He is also a brilliant retired chemist and hard of hearing. We were at dinner at a progressive restaurant when I visited him this year, and he asked, "What is the "GF" after all the entrees?"

I said, "Gluten free." Then I had to say louder, "GLUTEN FREE."

He said, "Gluten? Wheat protein?"

There was some ambient noise, so I pretty much had to yell, "YES, GLUTEN."

He yelled back, "WELL, THAT'S STUPID."

The progressive diners and waiters looked a little put out.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Man, I love coffee. That is all.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Right. Celiac is real, and pretty rare from what I've read.

So why are so many people gluten-free? Is this like the new Atkins diet or something?

Is it like riding double-decker bikes and unicycles while wearing top hats and steampunk goggles?
    It's actually way more common than you think. Every restaurant in the country wouldn't be adopting "gluten free" menus if it was rare. It was only a few years ago where is started to actually be acknowledged in the US. It's been huge in Europe for two decades.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I've heard people talk about it working wonders on them, and I've noticed the differences. Certainly something that can work, and it makes sense to me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Sometimes I wonder if it's not so much going gluten free that has the benefits, but if it's the movement towards a more paleo-oriented diet that is doing the trick. You know, the Primal Blueprint stuff - lots of plants, lots of animals, little to no grains.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I would do something crazy to get my hands on Eddington's tortilla soup recipe.

I was invited to dinner by Leslie's roommate the other night and offered to make the salad. I was going to use a regular balsamic vinaigrette, but the host (who is a cook and said 'my pantry is yours') was almost out of regular balsamic vinegar - but DID have a bottle of some habanera lime balsamic, so I thought "what the hell?"

Dressing:

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    4 tablespoons of Habanero-Lime Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Tablespoon of Dijon mustard
    2 garlic cloves - minced.
    Salt and pepper to taste

Salad:

One package of store-bought romaine hearts (6 oz I think?) - torn
    3 oz of arugula
    one pint of strawberries, hulled and quartered
    one package of mozzarella cheese pearls

I mixed the vinaigrette first and let it chill. Then made the salad right before dinner and mixed the vinaigrette into the salad thoroughly.

The first moment hits you with spice then it fades to sweetness. It was surprisingly amazing, especially with the arugula (it cut through the bitterness perfectly).

Both of Leslie's roommates were floored by the salad. One said he could make a meal out of it. (SCORE!)

But, there was more food. apple and stuffing stuffed porkloin, roasted potatoes and steamed wax beans, as well as martinis. A glorious evening.

I am going to find some habanero lime balsamic and keep it in my pantry. Its the most glorious culinary discovery I've made in a while.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It's actually way more common than you think. Every restaurant in the country wouldn't be adopting "gluten free" menus if it was rare. It was only a few years ago where is started to actually be acknowledged in the US. It's been huge in Europe for two decades.
    Tons of restaurants were also adopting the Atkins diet a few years back - don't see many of those around any more. They are diet fads. Places want money.

I think the best diet is always one of moderation.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Sometimes I wonder if it's not so much going gluten free that has the benefits, but if it's the movement towards a more paleo-oriented diet that is doing the trick. You know, the Primal Blueprint stuff - lots of plants, lots of animals, little to no grains.
    This I can understand, although many of the people I know who are now gluten-free are also vegans, and some were also, at one time, raw only.

Tons of restaurants were also adopting the Atkins diet a few years back - don't see many of those around any more. They are diet fads. Places want money.

I think the best diet is always one of moderation.
    But Celiac disease is not a diet fad. It's a condition. Your friends appear to be jumping on the wagon without being diagnosed by a doctor, which of course is silly.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

There are some legit cases and reasons, which I've recognized.

However, there is also a huge gluten-free fad going on right now. It's the new no-carb thing. It's the new raw thing.

My friend said he was diagnosed with some kind of gluten allergy, so that's why he did it.

My friend said he was diagnosed with some kind of gluten allergy, so that's why he did it.
    Yup. What your describing sounds like Celiac disease. It has to do with the way gluten is absorbed by the intestines. It causes severe stomach pains and can lead to cancer and long term problems.

My father, aunt and friend were all diagnosed.

Page 63 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast