Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2028

Thread: Gastronomy - The Food & Drink Thread

And, whoops, just got put on pie duty for father's day. I'm thinking apple.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    And, whoops, just got put on pie duty for father's day. I'm thinking apple.

Quote Quoting romantisaurusrex (view post)
    All made! Don't be frowny face.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Pretty much made this up and it was amazing. Good meal for hot days.

Cold Chicken Pasta Salad Lime Thingy

3-4 cups pasta, cooked and cooled
    2 breasts of chicken, cooked and cooled
    1 head broccoli
    1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Brown the pecans briefly in a pan with a little bit of oil, then set aside to cool. In a large bowl, put the pasta and chicken, chopped into small cubes. Cut the broccoli just below the florets to make it very small, and add to the bowl. Once the pecans are cool, add them as well.

Dressing:

Wash two limes and grate off the zest, and put it in a small bowl. Then, juice the limes and put that in as well. Add:

3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
    1/4 tsp pepper

Mix well and toss it in the large bowl with the salad. Chill for half an hour.

Very good. Very limey.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Friends coming over tonight. Serving these with a nice vintage bottle of Malbec:

Those look fantastic Russ.

I guess I'm used to seeing Mara's work on here, because that's who I thought posted, and I was like, bwah? Mara doesn't drink.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm pretty much convinced that pan searing and oven finishing a steak is just about the perfect way to do steaks, outside of over a wood grill. Granted, doing it over a wood grill can get tricky.

Tonight's menu was: Porterhouses, corn on the cob, and garlic bread (from Jerry's Foods)

With the porterhouses, I seasoned them earlier today w/ salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. I preheated the oven to 400F, and then put two heavy skillets on the stove and preheated to medium high. Seared both sides, (each steak got their separate pan due to the size of the steaks), 2-3 mn / side. Then I placed them on a baking dish, placed a dollop of herb butter on each section of steak. Put them in the oven for 6mn, and then placed them on a warm tray and covered w/ foil for ten minutes. Came out a perfect medium rare.

How to make herb/garlic butter: I've done this where I roast a head of garlic, and then use the cloves and whatever other herbs you want. The basic recipe is to take a stick of butter, let it warm up to remove temperature so you can work with it. Throw it in a mixing bowl. Add your garlic (roasted or what not, that diced canned stuff works well, too), oregano, chives, whatever the frack you want. Whip it all together so its really fluffy/soft and mixed well. Roll out a sheet of plastic wrap, and drop the butter right in the middle of it. Wrap it in plastic wrap so it ends up being like a cylinder. Throw it in the fridge, and slice of a knob whenever you like. Great on toast, steaks, whatever.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Salsa Stoopid, thus named because you have to be an idiot to buy it. Case it point, me. The site I ordered my hot sauces from needs to revamp its hotness index. This was rated 4/6. This is a 5/6 at the very least.

I dipped a chip, got a small amount, and ate it. The flavor was impressive. Garlicky and smokey, actually quite delicious. I dipped another, and then another. And then the pepper extract sneaked up on me and my face melted off. I was in agony for about 10 minutes. Sweat, tears, drool. Milk only stopped it for a few seconds.

I cruised the interwebs, and discovered that other hot sauce stores rated it QUITE HOT, lots of chile-head reviews saying it's simply TOO hot. I've been going back and dipping one chip at a time. The flavor is delicious! But the spice is ... wow-hot. I tried dipping two chips later in the day, only to lunge for the milk a minute later.

My stomach was already a little wonky today. Right now, it's pissed off.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

But you have to finish it now!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    But you have to finish it now!
    I'll probably peck at it here and there. Doubt I'll finish it before it goes bad, though.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I made fried chicken and waffles last night for dinner... HOLY SHIT. I just made some little buttermilk fried nuggets (using thighs) and cooked a couple belgian waffles. Then, cutting the waffle into quarters (made easy by being a circular belgian waffle), I placed a piece of chicken and drizzled on some homemade maple-pecan syrup.

Fucking. Delicious.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Pretty much made this up and it was amazing. Good meal for hot days.

Cold Chicken Pasta Salad Lime Thingy

3-4 cups pasta, cooked and cooled
    2 breasts of chicken, cooked and cooled
    1 head broccoli
    1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Brown the pecans briefly in a pan with a little bit of oil, then set aside to cool. In a large bowl, put the pasta and chicken, chopped into small cubes. Cut the broccoli just below the florets to make it very small, and add to the bowl. Once the pecans are cool, add them as well.

Dressing:

Wash two limes and grate off the zest, and put it in a small bowl. Then, juice the limes and put that in as well. Add:

3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
    1/4 tsp pepper

Mix well and toss it in the large bowl with the salad. Chill for half an hour.

Very good. Very limey.
    This sounds like a glorious addition to the July 4th weekend cookout. Thanks, Mara.

Do you think Hazelnuts would work just as well? I have a couple friends who can't eat pecans for some reason.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    This sounds like a glorious addition to the July 4th weekend cookout. Thanks, Mara.

Do you think Hazelnuts would work just as well? I have a couple friends who can't eat pecans for some reason.
    Hmm, I don't know. Almonds maybe?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Hmm, I don't know. Almonds maybe?
    Yeah, almonds might work. Thanks!

Oh, and I'm thinking of making that again, and this time also adding cubed avocado. Avocado and lime taste great together. I'll let y'all know if it's good.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I made fried chicken and waffles last night for dinner... HOLY SHIT.

Fucking. Delicious.
    Watch Tapeheads much?

Never seen it. Had never even come across the pairing of chicken and waffles until I had it a week ago on vacation. I will never be the same again after having it though.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

I have never had chicken and waffles. There has been a voice in the back of my head talking about it for years. Perhaps its time to listen to that voice....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I have never had chicken and waffles. There has been a voice in the back of my head talking about it for years. Perhaps its time to listen to that voice....
    Ditto.

Although how is the chicken suppose to be?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Ditto.

Although how is the chicken suppose to be?
    Deliciously, oh-so-unhealthily, deep fried.

I southern-fried mine (in a saucepan with about 1/2-inch of oil and turning halfway through), but deep-fried would be even better I imagine. When I had them on vacation in Hilton Head (the inspiration for my cooking them), they were deliciously deep fried.

I imagine any thick, super-sweet glaze/syrup would work drizzled on top. Maybe some King's syrup (molasses) or honey as well.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

I should clarify mine were "open-faced" sliders, little fried chicken nuggets on top of quartered belgian waffles. Some people eat them with whole waffles and whole pieces of chicken, either as a sandwich or as two separate sides. I think I prefer the smaller, bite-sized scale.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

I've been very into mustard greens lately. I can get them cheaply from the local farmer's market, and they're hardy and versatile. Very tasty.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I've been very into mustard greens lately. I can get them cheaply from the local farmer's market, and they're hardy and versatile. Very tasty.
    Other dirt cheap greens to get that are uniquely tasty are dandelion greens. Dirt cheap in that you can do a neighborhood harvest if you so wish.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Other dirt cheap greens to get that are uniquely tasty are dandelion greens. Dirt cheap in that you can do a neighborhood harvest if you so wish.
    Hmm. They don't look too tough to prepare. I may need to try that some day.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast