Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Gastronomy - The Food & Drink Thread

A bac0n and Scar collaberation. Fork tender braised bbq brisquet, homemade bbq sauce, garlicy red mashed potatoes, and some bitchin' green beans.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I love the floral pattern on those plates.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I can't seem to get mashed potatoes right. It seems easy, but I fail.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Try throwing in a couple tablespoons of cream cheese.

I offer the same advice for those struggling to make a creamy alfredo sauce. Cream cheese adds a great consistency and gives it another dimension of flavor.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I love the floral pattern on those plates.
    I know, they're so me.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Take it from me - Scar's meat... is phenomenal.

...that didn't sound right.

If you're going for an fluffier mashed potato, then I recommend Russets with a good amount of milk and use beaters. If thick mashed potatoes are what you're after, then un-peeled Yukon Golds or red potatoes (think waxy potatoes) are ideal. Less milk and mash with a masher or a couple of forks. Whatever you decide to do, don't skimp on the butter! Mashed potatoes are the side dish. Nothing can compete with them when done right.

Take half a bag of reds, wash 'em and chop 'em (approximately 1" chunks, give or take). Slice up at least four cloves of garlic. Throw them all in a large sauce pan / pasta pan, and add plenty of water, throw in a tbsp of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down to medium-low, and cook for 20 mn (covered). Drain completely. Add at least 3 tbsp butter, and 1/4-1/2 cup of milk. Mash mash mash. Salt and pepper to taste.

Its the only way I do it. You can also experiment by throwing in different cheeses during the mash. Gonna try cheddar next time.

Finally made a pesto sauce I like.

Someone recommended me grounded ginger root. Who'd have thought?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Take half a bag of reds, wash 'em and chop 'em (approximately 1" chunks, give or take). Slice up at least four cloves of garlic. Throw them all in a large sauce pan / pasta pan, and add plenty of water, throw in a tbsp of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down to medium-low, and cook for 20 mn (covered). Drain completely. Add at least 3 tbsp butter, and 1/4-1/2 cup of milk. Mash mash mash. Salt and pepper to taste.

Its the only way I do it. You can also experiment by throwing in different cheeses during the mash. Gonna try cheddar next time.
    For the first time tomorrow tonight, I am making hand-mashed potatoes. I wanted to make some cream cheese mashed potatoes, but all the online recipes are pretty lame. Should I add the cream cheese before or after I mash?
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

For the first time tomorrow tonight, I am making hand-mashed potatoes. I wanted to make some cream cheese mashed potatoes, but all the online recipes are pretty lame. Should I add the cream cheese before or after I mash?
    I'd say before, then you get everything all nice and mixed together.

Oooh, that sounds good! Do you put anything else in there, like chives?

As far as before or after the mash, I would say, it depends. If you are putting other liquids in there like milk or buttermilk, I would say either way, as the liquids will make it easier to mash and blend the potatoes.

If, on the other hand, you're not putting any milk/buttermilk in, i would put the creamcheese in there before with the heat still on, and stir it around to let it melt, then mash.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Oooh, that sounds good! Do you put anything else in there, like chives?

As far as before or after the mash, I would say, it depends. If you are putting other liquids in there like milk or buttermilk, I would say either way, as the liquids will make it easier to mash and blend the potatoes.

If, on the other hand, you're not putting any milk/buttermilk in, i would put the creamcheese in there before with the heat still on, and stir it around to let it melt, then mash.
    Yeah, chives are there. The ingredients are:

Three pounds red potatoes
    tbsp salt
    1/2 cup evaporated milk
    2 tbsp butter
    3 oz. cream cheese
    3 tbsp chives
    crushed pepper to taste
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

We just split a well seasoned New York Strip, (Byerlys Aged Beef Seasoning rocks).

And then each had two gi-normous king crab legs. I so do love a good sale.

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scn0030do1.jpg

The image doesn't really do it justice. That's bacon-wrapped chicken cordon bleu, cream cheese hand-mashed potatoes and green beans seasoned with some butter and baked potato seasoning.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Also, here's the recipe for the awesome chili I made tonight:

2 large onions
    4-6 cloves of garlic

2 chipotles in adobo sauce

1 lb chorizo

1 lb of ground beef

1 can of beer

2 cans diced tomatoes (with green chiles if they have it), drain some liquid
    2 cans black beans, completely drain

1 small can of tomato paste

1 oz of unsweetened chocolate (Baker’s chocolate)

Paprika, cumin, chili powder, chipotle chile powder, ancho chile powder, salt

Sauté onions for about 3-5 minutes with a few pinches of salt, add garlic for an additional minute. Remove sausage from casings and crumble into pot with beef. Brown completely, then drain off fat. Add about a tbsp of each spice, a little heavier on the chili powders. Chop the chipotle peppers pretty finely and add along with some of the sauce. Incorporate with the meat, then add the beans and tomatoes. Add the beer and let simmer and reduce, stirring occasionally. After about 10 minutes, add about half the can of tomato paste to thicken and let it continue to simmer. Drop in the chocolate and let it melt into it. Check the taste occasionally and add more of the chili powders at your discretion.

Soooo freakin' good. And quite the kick, too.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Raiders joins the Chefs of Match Cut.

Just get some flowered plates and you'll be set.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Raiders joins the Chefs of Match Cut.

Just get some flowered plates and you'll be set.
    I cut you.

Had a really nice ham and cheese quiche tonight.

Anyone have any cool little ways of livening up quiche? It's one of my favorite meals, but it just seems a little too plain.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Wow, this Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid Brewery... TOP NOTCH. Fuckin' delicious IPA, wonderfully hoppy, with a slight citrus twang to it. Man, we got some good IPAs here in the States.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Anyone have any cool little ways of livening up quiche? It's one of my favorite meals, but it just seems a little too plain.
    Instead of using a crust, try using hashbrowns instead: parcook them until sticky and golden, brown & crunchy in some places. form into a crust, about 1 1/2 inches up the side of a pan, pour the quiche juice in, and stick the entire pan into the oven & bake for, I dunno, 30 minutes at 350 degrees, until a toothpick inserted comes out slighty damp but otherwise clean.

Wow that's great, thanks!

Anything special to be done with the hashbrowns during prep? Or pretty standard?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I've got a recipe somewhere with shrimp in it. Can't seem to find it on my work computer. I'll look for it at home.

Haven't made it yet, but I sure as shit want to!

Making waffles this weekend, any awesome waffle recipes around?

Wow that's great, thanks!

Anything special to be done with the hashbrowns during prep? Or pretty standard?
    Don't go with the pre-packaged hashbrowns. In fact, never buy them. Real hashbrowns are so much better and so easy to make that there really isn't any reason to buy the frozen kind. All you need are 4 medium sized potatoes (Russets, Yukon Gold, Reds all work great) and a cheese grater. Just grate them taters like you would cheese, heat 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil in a 8-12 inch skillet over medium-high heat, and throw the potatoes in, pressing them down with a spatula.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Wow, this Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid Brewery... TOP NOTCH. Fuckin' delicious IPA, wonderfully hoppy, with a slight citrus twang to it. Man, we got some good IPAs here in the States.

Try as I might (and I have tried), pale ales just do not appeal to me. The overwhelming bitter, hoppy flavor just isn't my cup of te... uh, beer.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast