Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Gastronomy - The Food & Drink Thread

For me, omelets don't get much better than brie/asparagus
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Feta and kamata olives, with fresh parsley.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I can't do the flip right on omelettes. I've failed at breakfast.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    For me, omelets don't get much better than brie/asparagus
    YES. Brie cheese is yum-my.

Though I'm usually pretty standard when I make them. Cheddar, green peppers, onions and canadian bacon.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Feta, bacon, and chives.

Put a chicken in a pot with about a head of garlic and a carrot stuffed in its cavity, as well as a shallot. Dump in a bunch of chicken stock, another head of garlic, a couple carrots, another shallot, a bunch of cracked black pepper, and sea salt. Bring to a boil for an hour and fifteen. Remove chicken, add quarter cup of flour, and hit it with an immersion blender. Salt and pepper to taste.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Director
    Any wine nuts that can make head or tails of this list?

http://www.ottopizzeria.com/OTTO_Wine_List_March_09.pdf

I know the basics.. cab, shiraz, pinot noir, etc. but I'm completely lost here. If someone can recommend me a red and a white, preferably on the cheaper end, sub $75ish, that would be great.

I don't generally like sweeter wines but I'm open as I won't be the only one drinking it.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Any wine nuts that can make head or tails of this list?

http://www.ottopizzeria.com/OTTO_Wine_List_March_09.pdf

I know the basics.. cab, shiraz, pinot noir, etc. but I'm completely lost here. If someone can recommend me a red and a white, preferably on the cheaper end, sub $75ish, that would be great.

I don't generally like sweeter wines but I'm open as I won't be the only one drinking it.
    I'm no wine expert either, so what I generally do is go to a liquor store that specializes in wine - one that has a sommelier on staff. There are plenty of great wines that can be had for less than $20 a bottle, and a good sommelier will be able to offer you plenty of great recommendations that fit your needs, will go over really well with you and your guests, and most importantly, won't trash your bank account.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quick! What goes well with pan-fried shrimp? I was hoping to put it with some pasta and a cream/garlic-y sauce. Any recommendations? I have to go to the store and I am having a brain freeze.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Quick! What goes well with pan-fried shrimp? I was hoping to put it with some pasta and a cream/garlic-y sauce. Any recommendations? I have to go to the store and I am having a brain freeze.
    Colt .45!!

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

But, srsly, I have no idea. :P
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Pasta is good, but I love shrimp on a salad, with grated parmesan.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Anyone else here like plantain-based dishes?

Living here in NYC it's almost impossible to go to a restaurant or grocery store without being bombarded by these giant bananas, and I've really grown to love them.

I've learned to make two very simple little side dishes with them, and it's handy because each side-dish requires the plantain at a different stage of ripeness, so no matter what the state of the plantain I can do something with it!

The first one is called "tostones" (pronounced "toast-own-ays", and also known as twice-fried plantains) and you need to have the very fresh, GREEN plantains.

Peel the plantain and cut it into slices about 3/4" to 1" thick and lightly fry them in oil.

Remove from oil and place them on a flat surface, then use another flat, heavy object (the bottom of a plate or bowl works well) and mash each piece down into a flat patty-like shape.

Place in the oil again and fry until golden brown.

Remove from oil and salt lightly (or according to your own tastes) then serve. Like french fries, they can be eaten with ketchup and/or vinegar if you choose.

And the other little recipe requires plantains that are very ripe - yellow with lots of brown spots, so that when you peel them they're more the smell and consistency of a banana).

Cut the whole plantain diagonally into thin (1/4") slices and place in oil to fry. Flip once.

Now the actual frying depends on your own tastes. Basically, the longer you leave them in, the more the surfaces caramelize and blacken a bit. This also means they'll be a little firmer and sometimes even a bit chewy.

Basically for the "normal" taste of this dish, you want surface of the plantain to be slightly browned.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

My mom used to fry up plantains all the time. I'm really craving that right now, I wish I wasn't stuck at work. All they need is a little salt, I never bothered with the ketchup.

Plantains are awesome, meg. I've only ever had them fried up and salted just a bit. Not sure ketchup is something I'd put on them, but vinegar does sound pretty good. I'll have to try them like that. What's a good kind of vinegar to use?

I put together some lazy chili last night. Ground turkey, can o' kidney beans, big can of diced tomatoes, a small onion, a couple cloves of garlic, and the end of a bottle of homemade stout from my brother-in-law.

I used a purchased spice pack. I added a bit more cumin and a lot more cayenne. A lot more cayenne. The spice pack had this sad, sad little bag of cayenne, and it said on the pack, "Use this if you want HOT chili!!" Apparently my definition of "HOT chili!!" and theirs is quite different. I like to scald the skin off my tongue and sear away my stomach lining.

I was tasting it with each new ingredient, and the moment I put the stout in, the whole pot came together. I will be using some kind of beer in my chili from now on!

Today, the gurgling and boiling in my bowels foretells of a painful evening. :lol:

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Plantains are awesome, meg. I've only ever had them fried up and salted just a bit. Not sure ketchup is something I'd put on them, but vinegar does sound pretty good. I'll have to try them like that. What's a good kind of vinegar to use?

I'm not the best person to ask - anything I e ver put vinegar on, I use malt vinegar.

Mmmmm...

I'm always interested in articles like this about fantastic hamburgers, because I've never been a fan of hamburgers, and I keep thinking that I'm going to find the one that changes my mind.
    ...and the milk's in me.

:P

I can't believe they mentioned Triple XXX in that article! That peanut butter burger actually is very good. Not the best I've ever had, but very good.

My favorite burger to make is simple. Add a couple dashes Worcestershire sauce and a good glug of red wine to 1 lb of 85% lean hamburger meat. Mix with hands and form into four patties. Insert an ounce of crumbled blue cheese into middle of said patties. Pan fry/grill to medium.

In a desperate attempt to get away from the cafeteria food here at work -- (hey, it's given to us for free, so I can't really complain that much) -- I hopped on my bike and rode south, discovering a small strip mall about 3 minutes away. They have Subway, Dairy Queen, Eddingtons, Caribou Coffee, and a TGIFuckNo.

I grabbed an Angry Whopper at BK. I think it should be renamed to the Slightly Irritated Whopper, although it's doing quite the number on my stomach right now.

Beef. Wellington.

By yours truly.

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

That's amazing, Scar. Looks elegant and delicious.

My heartiest congratulations.

EDIT: And I love the plate! Very cool!

Looks good. Don't like fois gras (I assume that is what you used) so I have never bothered with Wellington. Beef and pastry look yummy though.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Looks good. Don't like fois gras (I assume that is what you used) so I have never bothered with Wellington. Beef and pastry look yummy though.
    Fois gras is awesome, but I used ground baby bella mushrooms with the water cooked out.

Has anyone here ever had/made turkey pot roast? I've never heard of such a thing, but a girl I know was raving about it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Has anyone here ever had/made turkey pot roast? I've never heard of such a thing, but a girl I know was raving about it.
    I'm making it tomorrow, non-responders. It should be interesting because I'm going to make it in the crock pot and let it cook all day while I'm at work. We shall see.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I looooooove crock pot cooking.

We've started doing some pasta dishes in the crock pot. This past weekend we did crock pot lasagna, and it was amazing. Especially the leftovers the next day.

*drool*

I wish I could make pasta, then time-warp it to be one day old.

Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast