Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Gastronomy - The Food & Drink Thread

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    If it's a lazy morning-- like a Saturday-- I do like eating a large breakfast, like at 9 or 10. I like the salty, greasy stuff like eggs and sausage, more than sweet stuff like pancakes or French toast.

Food just doesn't look good to me at 7 a.m., though.
    On a Saturday, I'm more a 10am kinda guy myself.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I frequently eat breakfast at 2:00pm.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I frequently eat breakfast at 2:00pm.
    On Saturday only or also during the week?

I usually eat breakfast on Saturday at about 9am. During the week it's about 7am. There isn't much difference in what I eat, though. Usually along the line of a piece of toast and a grapefruit.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Breakfast these days is typically a couple eggs over easy, and a couple pieces of toast. Put the eggs on one piece, and use the other for mopping.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    On Saturday only or also during the week?

I usually eat breakfast on Saturday at about 9am. During the week it's about 7am. There isn't much difference in what I eat, though. Usually along the line of a piece of toast and a grapefruit.

It can happen during the week as well.

I work 3:30am every day...so yeah, my sleep/wake schedule is pretty messed up.

Quote Quoting Scar
    Breakfast these days is typically a couple eggs over easy, and a couple pieces of toast. Put the eggs on one piece, and use the other for mopping.
    Using toast to mop up egg yolk is such a wonderful practice. It should be an Olympic event.

I remember when I used to have sleepovers at my grandparents' (maternal) house, every morning my grandma would make me a soft-boiled egg and serve it with a piece of toast cut into strips.

I would crack the egg open and just dunk the toast in the yolk until that was all gone, then eat the cooked egg white with a spoon.

*nostalgic*
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Well, we are coming up on the one major dinner party I throw every year, for Mardi Gras. I've done this nearly every year since high school, and it becomes more and more elaborate. Every year I find new recipes I really want to try or add. I also tweak and perfect the recipes that I've been using for the last decade. No short cuts: I make everything by hand. I let myself really spend the money to make it a fine evening, because this is the only real party I throw each year.

I think this is what the menu will be this year:

Homemade French Bread (my French grandmother's recipe, braided)

Entrees:
    Jambalaya
    Gumbo
    Pecan-crusted Catfish: I once had a guy get all misty and follow me around for a couple weeks after I served him this.

Vegetables:
    Cajun-roasted corn on the cob
    Tossed Salad

Desserts:
    Pralines (from scratch. This is the only time each year I use my candy thermometer.)
    King's Cake (new this year... we shall see)
    Coconut-Pineapple-Pecan Cake

None of my friends drink alcohol, so I'm getting Martinelli's sparkling cider.

I'm inviting... let's see... nine people, plus me. Two of my guests are pregnant (one is hugely pregnant-- don't you dare have your baby before my party!) Four of my guests are over 6 feet tall. There will probably be a couple of tag-along anklebiters. All in all, I'm going to have to make a huge amount of food.

Sweet.
    My favorite regional cuisine. It's the one thing I loved about living in Dallas. Not that Dallas is New Orleans, but it's close enough to get some decent cajun/creole cooking. Are you gonna hide the baby Jesus in the King's Cake? It's always fun watching someone who isn't expecting a small piece of plastic in their food bite into it.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Are you gonna hide the baby Jesus in the King's Cake? It's always fun watching someone who isn't expecting a small piece of plastic in their food bite into it.
    I kind of want to, but I need to find a plastic baby small enough to hide, but large enough not to choke on.

My cajun recipes are fairly authentic. I've been to New Orleans a couple of times (although not in the last decade) and my parents used to go every year. My mom took a couple of cooking classes there, which is where I got several of my recipes. Others have come from online or cookbooks. Many of the recipes have been adapted or influenced over the years.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I picked up the Jakarta Good Food Guide today:

This will make the search for good restaurants a lot easier. There are more than 400 restaurants in here. The presentation and design of the book is also excellent.

Okay, planning dinner for tomorrow night, I'm having nostalgia for Lee's Sandwiches, the Vietnamese chain I could go to in SoCal, but doesn't exist here in Maryland.

Specifically, I want this sandwich.

Based on a few not-quite-but-close recipes I'm find online (here and here and here), I am cobbling together a recipe of my own devising.

French Baguettes, split and toasted.

A couple of carrots and daikon radishes, julienned and blanched, then cooled. Marinate in vinegar and water (lime juice?) for 15-30 minutes.

I'm going to stir-fry the chicken, onion, garlic and jalepeno together. In the Lee's version, the onion and jalepeno are raw and sliced, but that was a trifle overpowering.

Spoon the warm chicken and the cold slaw on the baguette, then add sliced cucumber and whole leaves of cilantro. May or may not add soy sauce.

...I'll let you know how it goes.
    ...and the milk's in me.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    None of my friends drink alcohol, so I'm getting Martinelli's sparkling cider.
    What kind of dinner party is this?

Quote Quoting bac0n
    Got room for one more?
    Didn't you hear? There's not going to be any booze.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    Didn't you hear? There's not going to be any booze.
    K, never mind then.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    What kind of dinner party is this?
    The kind with... food. And Mormons. And board games.

It's how we roll.
    ...and the milk's in me.

According to some recent transplants to Utah, people who aren't Mormon/don't drink don't play board games at parties? Worked with a couple actors on my film last year who were baffled when we had a scene where the characters all got together to play Apples to Apples.

That was a mutual culture shock.

Board games are vastly better when you're intoxicated.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Board games are vastly better when you're intoxicated.
    I have learned that this is true.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    According to some recent transplants to Utah, people who aren't Mormon/don't drink don't play board games at parties? Worked with a couple actors on my film last year who were baffled when we had a scene where the characters all got together to play Apples to Apples.
    Apples to Apples is awesome.

This party is large enough that we'll probably play party games (Mafia, Press Conference, Telephone Pictionary, Psychiatrist, etc) instead of board games.

But, yes, most of my non-Mormon friends are baffled by our love of board games. I probably own 30 of them. My n-Mf generally have fun anyway (or lie and say they are having fun.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Mara, you pretty much just described our New Year's party.

We played actual pictionary as well, but my friends' version of pictionary is to find the cruelest, most abstract words in the dictionary. Highlights include words like "Machiavellian."

Speaking of board-games, I recently received the Pixar edition of Monopoly as a gift. Pretty cool.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar

That was a mutual culture shock.
    I play board games often. And I'm often drunk.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

We played actual pictionary as well, but my friends' version of pictionary is to find the cruelest, most abstract words in the dictionary. Highlights include words like "Machiavellian."
    A few weeks ago I went to an unofficial girls' night with a bunch of women from my church, and charades got insane. The clues became things like "Fat baby taking a huge dump until it leaks out the sides" and "Drunk pole dancer."
    ...and the milk's in me.

A few weeks ago I went to an unofficial girls' night with a bunch of women from my church, and charades got insane. The clues became things like "Fat baby taking a huge dump until it leaks out the sides" and "Drunk pole dancer."
    And this was without the consumption of alcohol, no less. Bizarro.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Total cost of food for the Mardi Gras dinner: $152. I also spend about $100 on decorations, which is why I only do this once per year.
    ...and the milk's in me.

A good, easy recipe (recommended for KF):

Home-made Chicken Nuggets

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (should equal about 2 1/2 lbs)
    1 cup dried, unseasoned bread crumbs
    1/2 - 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
    1 tbsp dried basil
    1 - 2 tsp dried thyme
    1 - 2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp salt
    a few grinds of pepper (about 1 tsp)
    3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (1 and 1/2 sticks)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Cut chicken into one inch cubes.
    Mix together all dry ingredients into a medium bowl.
    Melt butter in another medium bowl.

Dip chicken into butter, making sure to coat it well and then dip and roll around in dry mixture. Place each nugget into greased large baking pan. Preferably a 10x15in. pan. If you only have smaller ones just use two pans.

Bake for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!

For me this usually makes about 32 nuggets, which for my wife and I is easily four servings. I typically serve this with steamed broccoli and corn.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Meatloaf Cordon Bleu:

If you have a favorite meatloaf recipe, use it as a base.

Flatten it out on wax paper, put a layer or two of sliced ham on it, top with favorite cheese (I used smoked cheddar), and roll it up like a jelly roll and toss it in a bread pan.

Yum fucking yum.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    What's in your perfect omelette, everyone?

For me, it's two eggs, with a couple of slices of finlandia swiss, and some black forest ham. Folded over, nice and hot, with some coarse salt and some pepper on top. I just made myself one of those—my god!
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast