Page 77 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2028

Thread: Gastronomy - The Food & Drink Thread

Yeeaaaahhh ... gonna walk back my statement about Limburger cheese. I cut off the rind and started putting the soft cheese inside on crackers. It didn't take long before it started to taste like feet. Then I smelled it all over my fingers. Then I started feeling a bit nauseated. I threw the rest out and even had to bring the garbage out to the outside garbage can because it stunk so badly. Washed my hands twice to remove the smell. Never again.

C later walked into the kitchen and asked me why it smelled like feet.
    Last edited by Spun Lepton; 01-26-2021 at 03:17 PM.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

http://wegottaeat.com/chefster/recip...shrooms-onions

Few very minor tweaks. Wax paper? Pffft. Dry brined them for a couple days before searing.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Today I learned that jambalaya is basically just making gumbo but mixing them together rather than just pouring the gumbo over a serving of rice, lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Made chicken fried rice last night in the cast iron skillet that bac0n got me for Christmas years ago. That pan is freaking indispensable to me, now. The chicken fried rice turned out damn good, too. Was pretty proud of myself, especially since this was only my second attempt at ever making it.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Made chicken fried rice last night in the cast iron skillet that bac0n got me for Christmas years ago. That pan is freaking indispensable to me, now. The chicken fried rice turned out damn good, too. Was pretty proud of myself, especially since this was only my second attempt at ever making it.
    This is a personal favorite. I add a bunch of kimchi as well.

Mother of God. Waygu Zubaton steaks. Two minutes a side on a blazing cast iron skillet.

Ways to improve: 2-3 day dry brine instead of 7 hours. Smoke at low heat to 108-110F before quick hard sear.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Matty Matheson's Balogna Bowl. Perhaps the ultimate I'm hungover I feel like shit and I want breakfast recipe:

I tried it just now, but substituting canadian bacon and cheddar cheese. If there's a measure of deliciousness per level of effort, this would be off the charts.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Hahahahaha. Oh dear Lord. One of these years I’ll break down and get another microwave.

I'm going to do that with pepper jack and dutch loaf

We buy rotisserie chickens from the grocery store pretty frequently. Recently, I've begun grabbing some extra veggies along with them so I can turn the carcasses into stock. We then freeze the stock to use later. Took me a few tries to get the stock right. I want it to taste like a soup broth.

Nailed it last night.

2 carcasses (important that it's 2, because 1 isn't quite enough)
    4 big carrots
    2 red/yellow peppers
    2 green peppers
    2 big sweet onions
    1 turnip
    1 parsnip
    fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme
    a tablespoon of dried black peppercorns
    a bunch of dried Italian seasonings
    3 big bay leaves
    14 cups of water
    1/4 cup of white wine (this is the game-changer)
    salt to taste

throw the carcasses in a big stock pot
    rough cut the veggies and throw everything in with the carcasses
    get it to boiling (about 20-25 minutes)
    lower heat to a fast simmer
    cook for 3 hours or until it's golden colored and delicious
    strain into a bowl

last night I had the lid on for about 90 minutes and then took it off for the last 90
    it yielded about 4 - 5 cups of stock so delicious I could eat it like soup as-is

the soup I'm going make with this stuff ... OH MAN
    Last edited by Spun Lepton; 04-08-2021 at 01:59 PM.

In case anyone is interested, the Snoop Dogg 19 Crimes Cali Red wine is really good.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    In case anyone is interested, the Snoop Dogg 19 Crimes Cali Red wine is really good.
    I bought a bottle for the novelty. If it’s good that’s just a bonus!

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I bought a bottle for the novelty. If it’s good that’s just a bonus!
    It's really really good!

I'm normally not one for blends, but this surprised me. I scoured the bottle looking for the varietal, thinking "there is no way this is a blend".

Rich, hearty and smooth. Nice and fruit forward. Super yummy.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Hello, looking for an easy recipe for a nice, juicy gravy that can be poured on mashed potatoes. Nothing too exotic, just a classic version of such a thing.

For some reason, it feels right to be asking this from Americans.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Hello, looking for an easy recipe for a nice, juicy gravy that can be poured on mashed potatoes. Nothing too exotic, just a classic version of such a thing.

For some reason, it feels right to be asking this from Americans.
    Gravy is a mix of flour, fat, and broth of the meat you're cooking. Usually for about 2-3 cups of broth, about 1 tablespoon of flour and fat -- sorry, my measurements are American. You might need to Google your equivalent measurements. So, you could use butter as your fat, don't use oil or margarine, if you have bacon fat or beef tallow, that's even better. Melt the fat down and mix it with equal parts flour until a rue is formed. Let it cook for just a moment. Then start slowly mixing in your broth. Once incorporated, let it simmer to thicken it up. It may take 20 minutes or so to thicken up, but that should do it for you. Salt it to taste.

To give it more flavor, you can add dried herbs and spices like garlic powder, onion powder, sage, rosemary, etc. White or red wine (depending on your meat) will also give it a TON more flavor. Wine makes it amazing, frankly. Just a few splashes.

Edit: By the way, Morris, if you're cooking meat in a pan and you have juice rendered from it already, that could serve pretty well for your fat and your broth. You might want to throw an extra bit of butter in there just to give it boost, but then slowly add flour to it and simmer until thickened.
    Last edited by Spun Lepton; 04-09-2021 at 06:31 PM.

*sniff*

So proud.

Picked up a few racks of baby backs for Sunday. I’ll remove the membranes and season them up tomorrow.

Made spaghetti carbonara last night, but instead of bacon I used Mexican chorizo, and instead of fresh parsley to garnish, I used cilantro. Man, that chorizo infused every single bite. Easily in my top 10 favorite sausages.

*que Meg sausage joke*

Gravy is a mix of flour, fat, and broth of the meat you're cooking. Usually for about 2-3 cups of broth, about 1 tablespoon of flour and fat -- sorry, my measurements are American. You might need to Google your equivalent measurements. So, you could use butter as your fat, don't use oil or margarine, if you have bacon fat or beef tallow, that's even better. Melt the fat down and mix it with equal parts flour until a rue is formed. Let it cook for just a moment. Then start slowly mixing in your broth. Once incorporated, let it simmer to thicken it up. It may take 20 minutes or so to thicken up, but that should do it for you. Salt it to taste.

To give it more flavor, you can add dried herbs and spices like garlic powder, onion powder, sage, rosemary, etc. White or red wine (depending on your meat) will also give it a TON more flavor. Wine makes it amazing, frankly. Just a few splashes.

Edit: By the way, Morris, if you're cooking meat in a pan and you have juice rendered from it already, that could serve pretty well for your fat and your broth. You might want to throw an extra bit of butter in there just to give it boost, but then slowly add flour to it and simmer until thickened.
    Been away for a while thanks for sharing this. It definitely looks more complex than I assumed it would be, but my GF is convinced we can do this.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Been away for a while thanks for sharing this. It definitely looks more complex than I assumed it would be, but my GF is convinced we can do this.
    Oh, no doubt you can do it, Morris. Here's a video tutorial. I find it much easier to learn the steps when I watch somebody actually making it.

Made spaghetti carbonara last night, but instead of bacon I used Mexican chorizo, and instead of fresh parsley to garnish, I used cilantro. Man, that chorizo infused every single bite. Easily in my top 10 favorite sausages.
    I love spaghetti carbonara. We use turkey sausage logs chopped down to cubes a lot. Or shrimp. Or anything, really. I love the combos. Always throw in a can of diced tomatoes and green chillis.

Easily in my top 10 favorite sausages.
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    *que Meg sausage joke*
    Must... control... sophomoric... urges...

[]

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Must... control... sophomoric... urges...

[]
    That's my joke. Damn it, Dwight.

So, I love my modded off set smoker. However, it’s a time commitment. Even though I’ve got her pretty well figured out, the constant charcoal playing, and vent adjustments in Minnesota weather (snow and rain on Saturday) can be a bear. Years ago I thought about a pellet smoker, but you don’t get the SMOKE flavor that I’m looking for. Then I discovered the Masterbuilt Gravity charcoal series.....

Will report in later, Spun may as well in May.
    Last edited by Scar; 04-27-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Page 77 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast