Page 73 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2028

Thread: Gastronomy - The Food & Drink Thread

Not saying it's acceptable, but I totally get that.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Not saying it's acceptable, but I totally get that.
    Don’t get me wrong, I love me some cheesy potatoes, but I’m cooking for their birthday. So.... They’ll get cheesy potatoes with a side of braised pork butt and pan seared salmon.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

You guys can't talk about these apparently wondrous meals and not post pictures.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Oh I got a recipe for cheesey potatoes that I make every christmas. It's killer. Got if off a recipe card I grabbed off the checkout lane at a grocery store. Best thing about it is you can do the bulk of the work hours ahead of time, and when you're about an hour from eating, just pop it in the oven and bob's your uncle. Lemme know if you want me to shoot it on over.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Oh I got a recipe for cheesey potatoes that I make every christmas. It's killer. Got if off a recipe card I grabbed off the checkout lane at a grocery store. Best thing about it is you can do the bulk of the work hours ahead of time, and when you're about an hour from eating, just pop it in the oven and bob's your uncle. Lemme know if you want me to shoot it on over.
    I will always take a good recipe.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yukon Gold Goat Cheese Potatoes

Preheat oven to 350, rack in the middle.

Sauce:
    • 1 cup whole milk
    • 1 cup heavy cream
    • 6 oz. goat cheese
    • 1 tbs kosher salt, more to taste
    • 1/2 tsp fresh minced garlic (lets not kid ourselves. we're gonna put way the fuck more than a lousy 1/2 tsp of garlic into the sauce)
    • 1/2 tsp black pepper
    • 1/8 tsp nutmeg

Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor until cheese is well blended.

Potatoes
    • 2.5 lbs yukon gold potatoes

Peel the potatoes and slice 1/4 inch thick, then pour in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour the sauce over the potatoes evenly, and pop it in the oven for 50 minutes, or fridge it for up to a few hours until ready to bake.

Topping
    • 2 oz gruyere cheese, shredded

sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes and bake for another 10 minutes. I usually let it sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Damn good salmon:

Note: You need a good heavy duty skillet that can go from stove top to a 425F oven. If you don't have one, get yourself a cast iron skillet and learn how to season it and take care of it.

Take salmon out up to an hour before cooking, allowing it to warm up.
    Season with salt and pepper after you've taken it out of the fridge.
    Portion your salmon, (slice your fillet into individual servings).
    Preheat oven to 425F.
    Once the oven is preheated, heat your cast iron skillet / oven safe skillet over medium high heat.
    Add some olive oil / grape seed oil, and swirl it around. If it shimmers, and is very liquidy, you're probably good to go.
    Pat your salmon dry.
    Place your salmon flesh side down (skin side up). DO NOT FLIP, DO NOT TOUCH.
    Turn your burners up to high.
    After 2-3 minutes, you should start to see a brown sear starting to form on the bottom of the salmon. DO NOT LIFT THE SALMON TO LOOK FOR IT.
    Throw the pan in the preheated oven for 8 minutes.
    After eight minutes, take the skillet out of the oven and serve the salmon immediately.

If you prefer your salmon more well done, cook it longer. And you're a bastard.

Instead of beer can chicken, I did cider can chicken today. Used Raichlen’s basic BBQ rub. Haven’t done it in forever, and used a cast iron skillet to catch the drippings. Added some butter and stock to the drippings and oh my damn.

I set up by Weber kettle for indirect cooking, added some pecan, and it took about an hour to cook. Did some hand cut sweet potato fries in the air fryer and grilled some asparagus while the chicken rested. Then i made the pan sauce, added a tablespoon or so of flour in addition to the stock and butter. No other seasoning required.

Last edited by Scar; 07-07-2019 at 01:11 AM.

Looks great. Love Beer Can Chicken. How much of a difference does the cider make?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Looks great. Love Beer Can Chicken. How much of a difference does the cider make?
    Slightly different flavor profile. Much more noticeable in the sauce.

Trimmed up 11 beef short ribs, currently dry brining in the fridge until Sunday. Then they get smoked and braised.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Trimmed up 11 beef short ribs, currently dry brining in the fridge until Sunday. Then they get smoked and braised.
    Mouth watering
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

FYI, I just pulled off the weber 5lbs of pork butt I've been smoking on cherrywood since 0600. Some of that will make an appearance in the smoked nachos tomorrow at Case del Scar.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    FYI, I just pulled off the weber 5lbs of pork butt I've been smoking on cherrywood since 0600. Some of that will make an appearance in the smoked nachos tomorrow at Case del Scar.
    Very Niiice.

I've got two pounds of brussel sprouts to cook up, and realized I've got some thick sliced bacon in the fridge that would pair wonderfully with them.

Biggest decision will be whether to do dirty mashed red potatoes, or rice them.

I'm thinking ricing the taters will better soak up that awesome braise sauce coming off the ribs.

Two hours in:

Bac0n's salad appetizer:

That looks like a mother fucking nacho orgasm.

...and wow, did those nachos go fast!

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    That looks like a mother fucking nacho orgasm.
    They were damn good. The shear mass of those nachos was almost as epic as how quickly they disappeared.

Can you send me instructions on how you made those nachos?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's easy. What's nice about this recipe, is that if you're already BBQing something like ribs or briskett or in our case beef short-ribs, you can throw it in the same smoker and cook it right next to what you're smoking.

Smoked Nachos (from Stephen Raichlen's Project Smoke)

Ingredients:
    • Bag of corn chips
    • 2-3 cups smoked brisket,or pulled pork, or rotisserie chicken, etc. (i used some leftover pulled pork from the day before)
    • 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
    • 1 8oz bag shredded Mexican cheese
    • pickled or fresh jalapenos depending on how much heat you want to add, sliced
    • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

Equipment
    • 12 inch cast iron frying pan
    • some smoking device. (we used an offset smoker, but anything that can maintain about 275 degrees and provide smoke will work)

1) pre-heat your smoker to 275 degrees
    2) spread 1/3 of the chips evenly in the cast iron pan
    3) distribute 1/3 of the meat on top
    4) distribute 1/3 of the beans over that
    5) distribute the scallions over that
    6) put some jalapenos on top of that, your call how much you want.
    7) top with 1/3 of the cheese
    8) repeat steps 2-7 two more times
    9) add some smoking wood to the smoker (I would recommend cherry, pecan or apple. misquite tends to be bitter)
    10) put the nachos in the smoker, close the lid, and let it go for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
    11) pull the pan from the smoker, place it on the table, and dig in!

I dont have a smoker, but I can throw the cast iron on a regular charcoal? and get the same result?

If you have a weber or other kettle charcoal grill, I would use a charcoal basket (you can find them at Home Depot or Lowe's for pretty cheap) and fill it with lit charcoal about 3/4 full, 12-15 briquettes. in the center (below the grate) fill a medium disposable aluminum roasting pan with water (works as a heat sync). put a chunk of smoking wood directly on top of the briquettes.

From there, you can place the cast iron pan directly on the grate, close the top vents (leave the bottom vents open) and that should get you to about 275 degrees, give or take. Doesn't need to be right on the nose.

Duke-

I did a lot of smoking on my Weber kettle. Get those charcoal baskets and a hinged grate, and start playing around. Probably couldn’t hurt to install a thermometer if you don’t have one.

Page 73 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast