View Poll Results: Wendell & Wild (Henry Selick)

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

2 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: Wendell & Wild (Henry Selick)

Wendell & Wild (Henry Selick)

Henry Selick is a household name of stop-motion animation and, as expected, this movie involves you as soon as it can in one of his little worlds. Key and Peele prove to be a great combination so this is more comedic than something like, say, Coraline. I was surprised by the apparent spontaneity of some of the third act. In general I do think that animation tends to have more "bulletproof" or safe screenplays (if I make myself clear) because it's so costly to get the sequences made, but this is not the case here. Definitively worth seeing.

Producer
    Not surprised to learn from the credit that this is adapted from a(n unpublished) book, as how the core story develops and various subplots come off a bit overstuffed onscreen feel like it would make for a very good read. But the world-building and characterization in both its writing and especially design remain delectably the director's style, gorgeous and tactile. Delighted too to discover in-film purely from the visuals that Key and Peele have roles in this. 7/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5