Thread: The Sandman

The Sandman

I've never read the comics, but I'm loving the show.

The comics were hugely important for me growing up - it's not an exaggeration to say they changed my life. So it's a big deal to me that the adaptation is excellent. Very faithful to the source material while tweaking jut enough stuff that you don't have to be well versed in the DC universe to delve into it, since the early issues that this season is adapting had a lot of cameos. The casting is absolutely amazing, specially Sturridge, he looks like he was born to play this role. And David Thewlis stole the show in the diner episode. I know a lot has been made about them race and gender bending certain characters, but what of it? The comics were already quite inclusive, especially for the times.

Now there's something I don't like but it's not a criticism of this show in particular but more or less all current TV - it's this generic, standard way of framing and shooting certain scenes. I just wish this show had developed a more distinct style that made it stand out from 99% Netflix fare. But I only mention this because it gets so many other things right. For example, the Death episode (along with the diner one) is probably the best of the season, but why does it have to be so overscored? The emotion is already there in the writing. Had they stuck to Schubert, which is a musical cue that's actually in the story, it would probably have made for a more unique experience. But it's definitively nitpicking on my part because I love everything else so much.

THEY SAY CONSTANTINE RIGHT. THEY SAY CONSTANTINE RIGHT.

*faints*

Alright that bonus track episode was a treat.