Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup

8 100.00%
  • Hell naw

0 0%

Thread: Nope (Jordan Peele)

Nope (Jordan Peele)

Wow. Get Out is still king on Peele's filmography but it's been a while since I laughed with wicked glee at a movie theater like this, and I could tell that the people around me were having the same experience. Peele has made a quirky science-fiction epic that pays heartfelt homage to ufology and weird tales while bearing all of his trademarks. He really excels at building endearing characters and a stand out here is Steven Yeun's former child star. I love how his subplot doesn't really add much to the plot yet it feels strangely integral to the film. There's been a lot of talk about tone recently with Thor: Love an Thunder (which I haven't seen yet) allegedly suffering from an inconsistent one, and Peele's mastery of comedy, Horror and western/adventure here is commendable.

Finally just saw this today, and there's plenty of things I could criticize about it...

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Wow. Get Out is still king on Peele's filmography but it's been a while since I laughed with wicked glee at a movie theater like this, and I could tell that the people around me were having the same experience. Peele has made a quirky science-fiction epic that pays heartfelt homage to ufology and weird tales while bearing all of his trademarks. He really excels at building endearing characters and a stand out here is Steven Yeun's former child star. I love how his subplot doesn't really add much to the plot yet it feels strangely integral to the film.
    Well, Yeun's sub-plot certainly tied a lot into the movie's central motif, but...

[
    ]

Agreed, he was probably wasted like that for shock value but deserved a bigger cathartic moment. Don't think I missed on the thematic links, but it's still unusual to have such a major random subplot.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Agreed, he was probably wasted like that for shock value but deserved a bigger cathartic moment. Don't think I missed on the thematic links, but it's still unusual to have such a major random subplot.
    Yeah, but it wasn't even much of a shock, so it doesn't even really work in that sense. Plus, they have the other sub-plot with the... [
    ]

I think it comes down to - what is each character's motivation? Yeun's seems to be to put the trauma past him, or alternatively to understand why the chimpanzee spared him. He fulfills neither of them and just dies abruptly like you point out. Michael Wincott's motivation is not only to get a better shot but to be recognized as the hero of the enterprise instead of handing over the glory to O.J. and remain a technician. He wants the glory, he even says as much. I also think Wincott's character is important for Peele so he can work in the fact that a film camera is the only one that can get the shot.

By the way, I just thought how funny it is that a world-renowned cinematographer and a TMZ paparazzo are shown to have the same level of devotion to their craft.

Utterly fascinated and enthralled by this. Incredible atmosphere and texture on display, with bizarro beauty executed almost effortlessly.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    Good write-up, but how did you feel about what the movie did with [
    ]

Producer
    Three films in and I find the quality of Peele's writing going in reverse with his direction, but the former is only like a slight downward slope while the latter feels rocketing up to more than compensate (Us is the sweet spot for me so far, even if the screenplay doesn't measure up to Get Out). The biggest drawback here is that, even if Peele's screenplay feels as intricate between how various story elements connect as ever, as a whole it feels too disparate and unwieldy, without a unifying center like his previous works. This either needs to zoom in on the sibling relationship more (Kaluuya and Palmer work so well together that it feels like a missed opportunity) or make the character motivation more seamless instead of coming off as theme delivery (the life-and-death stake here doesn't feel in sync with their ultimate goal of taking a picture).

However, Peele's genre formal chops has jumped in leaps and bounds since his first feature. The climatic stretch continuously sustains such a good build-and-release of tension with various expertly employed shorthands (tube man). Many sequences also linger in its memorable imagery and sounds; Gordy's scene is rightfully singled out as particularly nightmarish, but I'm also partial to the sequence right after Jupiter's Claim live show, of that claustrophobia-inducing close-up and those *noises*. The film may need one more script go-over to make the its ambitious story flow better, but as a horror/thriller this more than delivers. 7/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Good write-up, but how did you feel about what the movie did with [
    ]
    The movie definitely resolved it.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Well, I guess you could technically say that, but it wasn't a very good resolution, IMO; like, it felt like maybe the movie was trying to make the point that [
    ]
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 09-13-2022 at 07:18 AM.