View Poll Results: Top Gun: Maverick

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

10 90.91%
  • Nay

1 9.09%

Thread: Top Gun: Maverick (Joseph Kosinski)

Top Gun: Maverick (Joseph Kosinski)

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Masterfully done, honestly. Exceeds the first film by a considerable margin.

In a way, it feels like a last stand for the big-theater experience, in both a real way and a way that ties in with the themes of the film. If this is the last proper adult blockbuster, it’s a great one to go out on.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Masterfully done, honestly. Exceeds the first film by a considerable margin.

In a way, it feels like a last stand for the big-theater experience, in both a real way and a way that ties in with the themes of the film. If this is the last proper adult blockbuster, it’s a great one to go out on.
    DavidSeven sighting!!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yup, as great a blockbuster as everyone is saying. I had a stupid grin on my face for most of it and the aviation scenes outdo the first one in every way to be honest. I found it hilarious how they never name the country they are attacking even though it's so obviously Russia. Oh and most of the cast is really good but I had never seen the guy who played Hangman before and I'd like to single out that minor but amazing performance and face.

The Kilmer scene almost brought me to tears.

My man Kosinski still batting a thousand.

A very good blockbuster, more thrilling and emotional than most that get released during a year. Better than the original too even if it's fairly predictable. The Star Wars-inspired finale, [
    ], still all felt a tad too easy, regardless of the absolutely dazzling filming and cinematography. I'm just a wee bit conflicted about some things. Although it is cool and apt that Mitchell gets [
    ], although that insert probably also reduced the surprise. Conflicted about these things as I said.

I didn't get a lot from the bonding + frolicking with the Connelly character. Although it was ok, it flirted a bit with 'obligatory love interest', but thankfully it never did go that far. I know there was a Penny mentioned in the original Top Gun, but I suppose these scenes might have been stronger and more emotional for me had there been an actual Penny in the 1986 film. Connelly would have been 16 in the first film, so yeah, I get why that's out of the question. Still, their relationship is more interesting and genuine (and admittedly also different cuz different kind of Maverick) than the one Mitchell had with Charlie in the 1986 flick.

I appreciated how the training sequences, horribly tensionless in the 1986 film, here actually emphasize some of the challenges the team would be facing and how they need to hit certain checkmarks for the mission to be a success.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I could nitpick the script contrivances [
    ]but whatever, the movie is an old school crowd pleasing popcorn blockbuster in all the right ways.

Mav is the focal point, but the entire ensemble gets to shine ala Aliens. Even Jennifer Connelly's character is rather clever; taking a throwaway line in the first movie about banging an admiral's daughter and making her a whole character now. I like how Mav's personal life has been rather shitty and lonely, dumping his entire life into flying but now realizing he's facing retirement and blew off creating a family of his own. Now he wants his surrogate family (Penny and Rooster) more than ever. Movies about surrogate families really get to me (I'm a big Boogie Nights fan, natch) and this is no different. Shed some man tears for Iceman too.

This might have the best & most spatially coherent action editing I've seen since Ford v. Ferrari.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 06-16-2022 at 04:59 PM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I could nitpick the script contrivances [
    ]
    Yeah; I also liked how vague they were about which European-ish looking country they were bombing, because it was essentially presenting a fantasy scenario when it comes to modern conflict, because depicting that accurately would be far less exciting. Still, it suits the movie as a bit of uncritical-of-American-imperalism escapism, and I did enjoy it on the whole, so it did what it needed to.

Producer
    Many praise the original's action, but I remember being indifferent to it almost two decades back, and often bored by the rest. By contrast, Kosinski nails the heart-in-the-throat thrills of every plane-related sequences here, from Cruise trying to gun hypersonic speed at the beginning to that insane climax. What's more, by surrounding himself with stellar, fresh-faced ensemble (thank goodness someone taps Powell's superwatt charisma onto big screen again) and acknowledge the passage of time on both his character's legacy and others around him, this has an effectively elegiac, even mournful core at its center that gives it a lot of dramatic heft, and one that is singularly tied to Cruise's star status to boot. Like, I might have taken more issue with how the stakes/tone of the climax turn out, if it doesn't feel intrinsically tied to the Cruise text, which would feel supplemental for any other star/legacyquel but by now functions like an essential part of every of his film now: "It's time to let go." "I don't know how." 8/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Yeah; I also liked how vague they were about which European-ish looking country they were bombing, because it was essentially presenting a fantasy scenario when it comes to modern conflict, because depicting that accurately would be far less exciting. Still, it suits the movie as a bit of uncritical-of-American-imperalism escapism, and I did enjoy it on the whole, so it did what it needed to.
    I listened to an interview with the director on The Big Picture podcast (worth listening to, he also goes into detail about how they shot the aviation scenes, and boy howdy do I have a lot of respect for him and Tom Cruise for insisting on shooting all this in camera, it's not easy but the direction and production process is fascinating) and he talks about this. Basically they (correctly imo) thought it would date the film if they directly named a country, not to mention the awkward politics involved with naming a country in a big Hollywood blockbuster movie playing worldwide we don't have a hot war with (you could argue we are in a "cold" war now with Russia and Iran). He said he wanted Top Gun 2 to play just as well 20 or 40 years from now, plus it's a callback to the first movie which also didn't name the "Russians" (although I guess it could be some south Asian or Middle Eastern country that also used MiGs).
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 06-20-2022 at 11:18 PM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Many praise the original's action, but I remember being indifferent to it almost two decades back, and often bored by the rest.
    I think the airborne photography of the original is really good (which I think is perhaps what is being praised rather than what it means for the story), even if it has been surpassed now, but Top Gun's training sessions are just a slog as there is nothing at stake, and then at the end of course there is the obligatory mission but it feels rather perfunctory and dull. At least with Iron Eagle the kid was going to break out his dad. lol.

But Top Gun Maverick ties the training sequences into the actual mission far better so that you know, pre-emptively, what the challenges are. It's kinda like how in Titanic Rose is shown a computer recreation of how the ship went down so the viewer knows exactly what's happening 170 minutes later.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Tell me it's Russia without telling me it's Russia.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Good old fashioned Navy propaganda that works better than the original in many ways due to the cast and the story and writing being better this time. The original did have the better group of actors though and the football scene doesn't match up to the volleyball one in terms of pure eroticism however. Also I'm pretty sure the country that was targeted was Iran.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    Also I'm pretty sure the country that was targeted was Iran.
    Huh? It was a barely concealed reperesentation of Russia.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 06-22-2022 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Huh? It was a barely concealed reperesentation of Russia.
    They mentioned hitting a planned nuclear facility so I thought it was Iran. Also Iran has snow and mountains. Plus Russia has plenty of nukes.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 06-27-2022 at 04:09 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

I found this, they don't think it's Iran either: "Top Gun: Maverick: Who is the movie’s enemy “rogue state”?" https://slate.com/culture/2022/05/to...-revealed.html

I guess it's a good joke at the end.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 06-27-2022 at 04:08 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own