Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you watch movies?

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    ? People that turn on subtitles?
    Watching a film with subtitles when the film is in your native language. Like if I were to watch The Bourne Identity with English subtitles. Soooo irritating. I watched Shaun of the Dead with subtitles with my old roommate once and it just about killed the movie for me.

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    Watching a film with subtitles when the film is in your native language. Like if I were to watch The Bourne Identity with English subtitles. Soooo irritating. I watched Shaun of the Dead with subtitles with my old roommate once and it just about killed the movie for me.
    Some British movies need subtitles though. I completely agree with you otherwise

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I watch movies in English with subs quite often -when it's late and I need to keep the volume low. Now big deal. I don't understand how this would ruin a movie.

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    Yeah... I dunno I agree it's certainly less immersive but for heavily accented Irish/British films sometimes it's a godsend.

Ah beat to the punch... I second Davis low volume comments too.

Anyway espesh for someone like Mara who seems to have some auditory difficulties... subtitles just preserve meaning and therefore aid enjoyment/understanding of the film. My primary intake is foreign films and I don't feel like I lose that much tonally with subs on (of course bearing in mind poor translation issues).
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Try watching a film with English subtitles superimposed over Chinese calligraphy.

:frustrated:

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    When at home, its on either a decently sized TV or my laptop.
    So you're at home, with a TV and a computer, and there are times you choose the laptop over the TV?

Only time I'll ever watch a DVD on a computer is if I'm traveling.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    So you're at home, with a TV and a computer, and there are times you choose the laptop over the TV?

I had an interesting experience with this. My TV isn't all that big (27") and I sit about 8-10 feet away. I'd watched Playtime a number of times under those conditions. Then I popped it into my computer and watched it with my face 1-2 feet away from my 18" monitor and saw things in almost ever shot I'd never seen before. I can't imagine what a theater screen and 70mm would do for it.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

I mostly watch movies in theaters or if it's for work, on my computer. When I do get around to watching something at home, it's on my roommate's nice HD TV or on my 20 inch in my room. If it's a movie I haven't seen or really respect and love, I'll want to watch it in complete silence, mostly because I hate creating associations to particular scenes in movies with whatever's happening around me, not because I'm afraid of interruption or distraction.
    Last 5, out of ****:

Quote Quoting Doclop (view post)
    I mostly watch movies in theaters or if it's for work, on my computer. When I do get around to watching something at home, it's on my roommate's nice HD TV or on my 20 inch in my room. If it's a movie I haven't seen or really respect and love, I'll want to watch it in complete silence, mostly because I hate creating associations to particular scenes in movies with whatever's happening around me, not because I'm afraid of interruption or distraction.
    If I required total silence to watch a movie, I'd never watch anything at home. I watched Zodiac last night and had my silence interrupted by my wife reminding me to call a plumber, my daughter (who was also watching) asking me her usual "what's going on?" type questions, my dogs barking when the neighbors came home, and a cat fight that suddenly erupted in my lap. (We own six cats. This is a common occurance.)
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)

It actually depends at times if my DVD player is working. And sometimes I don't mind watching it on the laptop. My TV isn't really that big so its not much of a difference.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting SirNewt (view post)
    Try watching a film with English subtitles superimposed over Chinese calligraphy.

:frustrated:
    I hate white subs without borders... I'm looking at you Persona VHS.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    It actually depends at times if my DVD player is working. And sometimes I don't mind watching it on the laptop. My TV isn't really that big so its not much of a difference.
    Sometimes I just prefer watching a film in my room in bed to watching in the living room with roommate and randoms around making stupid comments about arthouse films.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting fasozupow (view post)
    If I required total silence to watch a movie, I'd never watch anything at home. I watched Zodiac last night and had my silence interrupted by my wife reminding me to call a plumber, my daughter (who was also watching) asking me her usual "what's going on?" type questions, my dogs barking when the neighbors came home, and a cat fight that suddenly erupted in my lap. (We own six cats. This is a common occurance.)
    I want to watch Zodiac while a catfight erupts in my lap. Actually, I just want a catfight erupting in my lap. Right now.

I watch movies on a 34" Widescreen CRT TV from a couch about 6 feet away. I've got the TV's sound connected to an amplifier and from there to two 1'x2' speakers at the far corners of the room.

On a couple of occasions I've watched a movie on my ~20" flat screen computer monitor using Netflix' Watch It Now feature.

I've also connected my TV to my computer in the past so I can in theory watch movies with Watch It Now on my TV but the cabling logistics is a pain since the computer and TV are in different rooms.

I will almost always watch a movie in one sitting but I might pause it briefly to get some food.

P.S. I don't watch at work or while commuting (i.e. biking).

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Sometimes I just prefer watching a film in my room in bed to watching in the living room with roommate and randoms around making stupid comments about arthouse films.
    :frustrated: some more

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12