Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Popular Movie Blindspot Thread

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    I still find Tony's arc to be quite propulsive, it's fascinating as a snapshot of its particular time and place, and the overall craft of the production can't be denied.
    I can agree with the second two points here, but I can't get behind the word "propulsive" coming anywhere near a movie that's basically a long string of loosely-tied set pieces featuring Pacino mouthing off.

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    5 cms is probably my least favorite Shinkai, but it isn't bad. Worth checking out.
    25mins and it looks really nice but wow... what a cheese-fest!

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I really need to see Roman Holiday.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I really need to see Roman Holiday.
    No, you don't. Check out Dodsworth, Jezebel, The Letter, The Little Foxes, or The Best Years of Our Lives instead.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    No, you don't. Check out Dodsworth, Jezebel, The Letter, The Little Foxes, or The Best Years of Our Lives instead.
    Good recs, but what's your beef with "Roman Holiday"?

Dodsworth is my favorite Wyler movie so far. It is his 15th-most popular movie, which seems very low.

Wyler's #1 most popular: Roman Holiday, the 2nd-most popular film of 1953
    #2: Ben-Hur, 6th-most of 1959
    #3: The Best Years of Our Lives, 5th-most of 1946
    #4: Funny Girl, 8th-most of 1968
    #5: The Children's Hour, 13th-most of 1961

Other movies in the top ten of their year:
    The Heiress
    Wuthering Heights
    Jezebel
    Mrs. Miniver
    Dodsworth

Dude was a hit-maker for over three decades.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 05-19-2022 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Good recs, but what's your beef with "Roman Holiday"?
    I just found it bland and unappealing. Then again, I've never been much of an Audrey Hepburn fan.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Well I can watch all of those too ha ha.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

I'm trying to view A Beautiful Mind since it's on Hulu. I'm 20 some minutes in so far and I'm bored out of my skull.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

I've seen and still own Ben-Hur. That's a great flick-I was surprised at how the run time was not an issue.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    It is his 15th-most popular movie, which seems very low.
    According to ... Letterboxd?

Son, this is a terrible way to rank movies. Stop now before it becomes a habit. No good can come of this.

Dude was a hit-maker for over three decades.
    And a prime example as to why the auteur theory is broken.

I might be the biggest detractor/loather of auteur theory here. Then again I don't really care who's responsible for the movie as long as it's good sooo...
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

One more note about A Beautiful Mind: that movie grossed 300 million at the box office. In 2001. With a 58 million dollar budget. Was it the movie's star power or did people go to see it because it was up for Oscars? Maybe folks always like biopic movies? Just...huh.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    According to ... Letterboxd?

Son, this is a terrible way to rank movies. Stop now before it becomes a habit. No good can come of this.
    Yes, Letterboxd. It's not a habit, but it is the primary conceit of this thread, and I have found it to be quite fun and useful so far. In fact, I've been introduced to the same number of films I love in here (Into the Spiderverse, Scream) as I have in the Criterion Challenge thread (Written on the Wind, Where Is the Friend's House). So plenty good has come of it.

Quote Quoting Irish
    And a prime example as to why the auteur theory is broken.
    Quote Quoting DFA1979
    I might be the biggest detractor/loather of auteur theory here. Then again I don't really care who's responsible for the movie as long as it's good sooo...
    I would be interested in hearing y'all expand on this. I've personally never cared much about auteur theory, but I very much care who the director is and if I'm familiar or not with their work/style.

- - - - -
    Yes, Letterboxd. It's not a habit, but it is the primary conceit of this thread, and I have found it to be quite fun and useful so far. In fact, I've been introduced to the same number of films I love in here (Into the Spiderverse, Scream) as I have in the Criterion Challenge thread (Written on the Wind, Where Is the Friend's House). So plenty good has come of it.
    Did you just throw the patented Stalker rulebook at me? My post was meant to be lighthearted and jokey ... but I hear ya. I'll stop bustin on you (and posting in this thread)
    Last edited by Irish; 05-19-2022 at 04:43 AM.

I can agree with the second two points here, but I can't get behind the word "propulsive" coming anywhere near a movie that's basically a long string of loosely-tied set pieces featuring Pacino mouthing off.
    I didn't mean that in the sense that it's fast-paced, or even that it's not bloated at all (since it probably could've been trimmed down to about 2 & 1/2 hours even, and I'm honestly not even sure if I've ever watched all of it without splitting it up into two sittings); rather, I meant it's "propulsive" in the sense that it feels like Tony's arc is always progressing somewhere in each and every moment, whether it be his early rise from being just a jailhouse scumbag fresh off the "banana boat", to his peak during the "Push It To Limit" montage, to his inevitable fall that starts immediately after that point, due to his own personal character flaws, you know? It's all quite compelling stuff, IMO.
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 05-19-2022 at 05:20 AM.

I thought Irish's joke was funny and a commentary on Letterboxd. Also I'll admit I do check to see who the director of a movie is but to me a good movie is a good movie. Case in point I recently liked the new Sonic flick a lot and I have no idea who the director is, where as I eagerly went to see Robert Eggers' new film because it looked great and he has a proven track record.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

I usually check a director if a flick looks unique. You know who has a habit of sneaking up on me though? Martin Campbell. I can't tell you how many times I finish a movie and I'm like "damn that was better than expected!" then "directed by Martin Campbell" pops up and I'm "ahh well no shit".

That flick he made with Pierce Brosnon and Jackie Chan was damn good.

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    I meant it's "propulsive" in the sense that it feels like Tony's arc is always progressing somewhere in each and every moment, whether it be his early rise from being just a jailhouse scumbag fresh off the "banana boat", to his peak during the "Push It To Limit" montage, to his inevitable fall that starts immediately after that point, due to his own personal character flaws, you know?
    But you're leaving out the lengthy shit-talking scenes. To me this is the flow of the movie: Pacino mouths off for a while > something moves the narrative along > Pacino mouths off again > narrative moment > Pacino > narrative. It starts and stops, repeatedly, like putting bad miles on a car. As long as you enjoy Pacino mouthing off, it's no problem. But I would disagree it's always progressing somewhere.

Trying to find movies I've given five-star ratings to that aren't associated with "auteur" directors. There's not a lot.

Maybe Rob Reiner? He's made plenty of good/great movies, but I haven't picked up on an artistic signature per se. George Stevens may or may not be the same type of deal.

Is Andrew Stanton an auteur? Sheesh, I dunno. That career went downhill fast after Wall-E.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    You know who has a habit of sneaking up on me though? Martin Campbell.
    Let's get ahead of the Green Lantern reappraisal.

Let's get ahead of the Green Lantern reappraisal.
    Nope, I've always semi-defended it. Its not great, but its not nearly as bad as its reputation. People mention it along with Barb Wire, Catwoman, Jonah Hex...and thats not accurate imo.

Martin Campbell is a pretty good action director though he made two of the best Bonds ever and a good Zorro movie.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Unfortunately from what I've heard Reiner hasn't really made a good movie since the 90s or whatever.

Andrew Stanton wise Finding Dory was pretty good at least. I really liked that one.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Trying to find movies I've given five-star ratings to that aren't associated with "auteur" directors. There's not a lot.
    Steamboat Bill, Jr.? Swing Time? Gone with the Wind? The Wizard of Oz? Casablanca? Les Enfants du Paradis? Bicycle Thieves? The Red Shoes? The Third Man? Pandora and the Flying Dutchman?
    Just because...

The (New) World

Steamboat Bill, Jr.? Swing Time? Gone with the Wind? The Wizard of Oz? Casablanca? Les Enfants du Paradis? Bicycle Thieves? The Red Shoes? The Third Man? Pandora and the Flying Dutchman?
    Steamboat Bill, Jr. -- Haven't seen it. Is Buster Keaton not an auteur? I submit Sherlock Jr and everything else as my evidence.

Swing Time -- Total masterpiece. I already brought up George Stevens as a possible Rob Reiner type.

Gone with the Wind -- Not close to a five-star movie for me, and I agree Victor Fleming is probably not an auteur. Selznick probably more so.

Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Children of Paradise, Bicycle Thieves, Red Shoes, Third Man -- All incredible movies. At the very least, Vittorio De Sica and The Archers should be considered auteurs.

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman -- Never seen it or heard of Albert Lewin. If this is a five-star movie, it is a prime candidate for this discussion.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast