Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Popular Movie Blindspot Thread

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    If he doesn't log it on LB within 48 hours then that means I win.
    I've seen like three movies in two months. I won't be logging any movie in the next 48 hours
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I've seen like three movies in two months. I won't be logging any movie in the next 48 hours
    Yay, I win!

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Small contradiction there, yeah?

Look is crudely drawn, sure, but I dunno if giving her more depth would have necessarily helped, as she serves a specific purpose to the story. Most of the other supporting characters exist on more or less on the same level (Lars, his son, Laurie, Futterman, etc).
    What makes the comic scenes uncomfortable (painful may have been too strong a word) isn't that I feel bad for Look as a character but rather for Archuletta as an actress and a woman who's been given such an insulting role to play.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I thought it would take me a while to get to Captain America because I'm not typically a fan of insipid, friction-less, ultra-processed Hollywood Product. And Captain America is clearly the least cool Avenger.

But I just now had about the worst cinema-related experience of my life watching Caligula, so insipid and friction-less sounds fabulous right now.

He's the best Avenger. His arc is pure.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    He's the best Avenger. His arc is pure.
    Yup, plus Civil War is still one of the best movies in the entire MCU, if you ask me.

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Yup, plus Civil War is still one of the best movies in the entire MCU, if you ask me.
    I have issues with that movie, but they're with Tony.

Watching the #2 most popular movie of each year according to LB (if I haven't seen it already).

2011: Captain America: The First Avenger.

"We can't just knock on the front door of their secret underground lair."

Cap: "Why not? That's EXACTLY what we're going to do."

Cap is a dumb fuck. And Red Skull might be the worst MCU villain. I liked the taxi chase, the bond-selling montage, and the part where he Indiana Jones'd that guy through the propeller. The "I had a date" ending was surprisingly sweet as well. But yeah. No. Two stars.

Up next: GUESS THAT POPULAR MOVIE! Hint: []
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 05-14-2022 at 07:45 PM.

Up next: GUESS THAT POPULAR MOVIE! Hint: []
    Hint #2: [
    ]

hmmm...[
    ]?

Nope, guess again. More popular! Like 30-40x more LB views.

Hint #3: [
    ]
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 05-12-2022 at 03:43 PM.

Producer
    Scream?
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Scream?
    Correct!

First hint image is of Wu-Tang Clan member GHOSTFACE Killah.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Heh I love the Cap trilogy and he's my favorite Avenger. I'll admit the first one isn't as good as the others however.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Continuing to watch the #2 most popular movie of each year according to LB (if I haven't seen it already).

1996: Scream. I've always been a little confused as to why Drew Barrymore was such a big deal, and now I understand: everyone had seen this except for me. Between her performance, Wes Craven's direction, and the idea of using horror trivia as torture, the opening is in the running for best horror sequence ever. It's really no one's fault the rest of the movie doesn't reach the same heights. Neve Campbell is tasked with playing the boring, straight-laced final girl and does a fine job. Courteney Cox has more to sink her teeth into as the manipulative reporter, while Matthew Lillard doesn't so much sink his teeth as bite everyone's heads off. Skeet Ulrich and Rose McGowan are the ultimate 90s eye candy. I do wish David Arquette was a tad less dopey -- one of surprisingly few ways the movie shows its age. But overall it's scary, funny, sexy, and clever, with plenty of twists and enough meta-commentary to please the movie store nerd in us all. Four stars.

Side note: I watched this on Friday the 13th, with what looked like a full moon. Halfway through my power went out. After it came back on, I courageously finished the movie with a Louisville Slugger by my side.

Up next: GUESS THAT POPULAR MOVIE! Hint: [
    ]

Scarface?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Scarface?
    Correct!

Due to pressure under the Hays Code, the title of the original film was changed to Scarface: The Shame of a Nation so that everyone would know it wasn't cool to be a gangster. The 1983 remake -- which I'm not at all pumped to watch for the first time -- had to be edited down to avoid an X rating, but supposedly De Palma made fewer edits than he promised.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Scream is great fun. I like the whole series although 3 is the weakest link to me.

I have seen the 1983 Scarface at least a couple times or more. I like it a lot however I doubt it's aged very well. 100% 1980s for better or worse. I do need to see the original.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I've never been a fan of Scarface.

Continuing to watch the #2 most popular movie of each year according to LB (if I haven't seen it already).

1983: Scarface. You will like it as much as you like hearing Al Pacino say "Fuck you" with a Cuban accent. That's what most of the movie is.

I was ready to enjoy it as camp, but the 170min runtime wouldn't allow it. Shave off an hour of Pacino talking shit and it could be stupid fun, but the length alone signals it as a movie to be taken seriously. Can't do it. Two stars.

]

]
    Hint #2: []

Producer
    Roman Holiday
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Roman Holiday
    Correct!

Originally, the film was to have had only Gregory Peck's name above its title, with "Introducing Audrey Hepburn" beneath in smaller font. However, Peck suggested to William Wyler that he elevate her to equal billing so that her name appeared before the title, and in type as large as his: "You've got to change that because she'll be a big star, and I'll look like a big jerk." The "introducing..." remained.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 05-16-2022 at 03:39 PM.

1983: Scarface. You will like it as much as you like hearing Al Pacino say "Fuck you" with a Cuban accent. That's what most of the movie is.

I was ready to enjoy it as camp, but the 170min runtime wouldn't allow it. Shave off an hour of Pacino talking shit and it could be stupid fun, but the length alone signals it as a movie to be taken seriously. Can't do it. Two stars.
    Well, I get why some people don't care for Scarface; it is very long, over-the-top, and has attracted a very annoying fanbase over the years, to the point that I even made this meme about it...

...but I still enjoy it despite (or maybe even because of?) some of those points against it, since I still find Tony's arc to be quite propulsive, it's fascinating as a snapshot of its particular time and place, and the overall craft of the production can't be denied. I mean, that moment when we go from a handheld camera inside the motel room to the cut to the crame cam, which goes all the way across the street, and then back inside again? (Homer Simpson drool)

Its an okaaaay film, but I feel its so wildly overrated that its hard for me not to dislike it more. Its fine! Its nowhere near a gangster masterpiece. Its nowhere near a Scorsese mob movie. Its not even better than Donnie Brasco, American Gangster, Carlitos Way, Eastern Promises...imo

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast