Thread: The Popular Movie Blindspot Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I haven't seen any of the old biblical epics that "most" people have - Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, etc.

Never seen Gone With the Wind.

The only movie with Laurence Olivier I have seen is Rebecca.

Never seen the original Planet of the Apes, or any of the new trilogy.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I haven't seen any of the old biblical epics that "most" people have - Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, etc.
    I own most of those on vhs. Grew up watching them (religious family). Theres tons of them.

Never seen Gone With the Wind.
    Me either. Don't intend to.

Never seen the original Planet of the Apes, or any of the new trilogy.
    *deep breath*....Burton's > original, and its embarrassing to sit through. I have just never got into that series.

The new trilogy is good.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    The only movie with Laurence Olivier I have seen is Rebecca.
    Same, plus Sleuth which I remember liking in high school. He's a legend who I ought to watch more of. Marathon Man seems like a solid choice, as does Bunny Lake Is Missing. And then there are the Shakespeare adaptations he also directed.

This also has me thinking about James Cagney. I have never seen even one movie with him.

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Everything by Yasujiro Ozu
    Yeah... It's been a long time since I watched Tokyo Story and Late Spring, and that's all I've seen. Ozu deserves better. I will watch some Ozu this week. (Side note: I was going to tongue-in-cheek reprimand you for including Ozu as a blindspot in the Popular Movie Blindspot Thread. Then I thought about it for two seconds, did some research, and discovered that Tokyo Story is the #1 most popular movie of 1953 and Late Spring is the #2 most popular movie of 1949. So yeah. I'm dumb.)

And you're the third person to mention Green Mile. Maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" movies.

EDIT: Finally, out of all the movies you named, my main rec would be Seven Samurai. That's the only specific title that gets five stars from me.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    The African Queen - good movie, but kinda simplistic. two people in a boat argue
    I agree with this so hard. Except for the "good movie" part. In fact, I've never been impressed by John Huston.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 05-02-2022 at 11:19 PM.

I haven't seen a bad kurasawa yet. Seven Samurai, 10. Hidden fortress 9 maybe 9.5. Ikiru, throne of blood, Roshomon, all amazing.