Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (season 1)

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (season 1)

Most exciting thing for me is Howard Shore's return!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

There's a behind the scenes of that video clip and it shows it was made using practical effects and I've not seen anything saying Shore was involved.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    There's a behind the scenes of that video clip and it shows it was made using practical effects and I've not seen anything saying Shore was involved.
    https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...bbit%20trilogy.

But you're right, it seems it wasn't officialized.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

So why is this so expensive? Because they are doing much of the production in parallel to speed everything up or is it because of all the practical effects? Also, the cast appears to be very underwhelming - now it's not fair to compare it to Jackson's films because he had some of the top english language actors in the world but GoT was anchored with several actors who had several decades of experience in movies. I'm not seeing anyone like that in the cast.

Trailer during superbowl

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

First look in Vanity Fair

I can already hear the screeching hordes: "Puerto Rican Elves?! Black Dwarf women?! NO BEARD?!"

COMMENCE THE BITCHING.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I think it looks neat btw. I don't expect a carbon copy of Jackson/WETA/New Zealand. I'm anticipating a different kind of approach and aesthetic. I dunno exactly what kind of story they are going to tell, but I hope the writing and acting are good.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

It looks expensive. But it's easy throwing money at a screen when you have it. Will this have vision?

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

The trailer's aspect ratio is 21:9. Either that was done especially for use as a trailer in a movie theater or they intend it to be shown in theaters. Are any Amazon shows/movies shown in theaters?

The trailer's aspect ratio is 21:9. Either that was done especially for use as a trailer in a movie theater or they intend it to be shown in theaters. Are any Amazon shows/movies shown in theaters?
    So I guess there are some other newer shows shooting with this aspect ratio now. Was news to me.

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Looks good to me. I think it's kind of stunning they are putting so so much money behind a property whose material passing LOTR fans are not really aware of. This is a hard sell. It has a lovely look and texture. Will depend on the story and writing and acting for sure. But I'm certainly excited.

--Homer

Of course it looks good - but everything hinges on the writing and these writers don't seem to have anything in the way of experience - the episodes appear to be written by committee with multiple writing creds on each episode. Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings were based on books, the writers here will need to make everything up.

Look what happened to GoT after they ran out of source material, and the two writers there did an admirable job until then. There is no source material for this show - just a barebones cliff notes outline.

I thought Amazon's Wheel of Time looked great - but the story was confusing as hell due to poor writing.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 07-19-2022 at 02:53 PM.

This is going to be on midnights (ET) on Thursdays? Weird time.

I liked the first two episodes a lot - I can't find anything to critique actually, and I think I'm pretty critical usually.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 09-02-2022 at 11:20 PM.

Yeah first two eps are really superb. The plot thus far and character motivations are on the, mm, unchallenging side, but the actors are excellent, the visuals are gorgeous, and the design in every corner is overflowing with the kind of generosity hundreds of millions can buy. It has shown great heart already, and I can only hope that it allows itself the time to really tuck into some of the weirder and wonderful parts of the mythology. At an hour-plus per episode, tho only 8 in total, it inspires hope in me.

--Homer

And the obnoxious complaints about Black dwarves/elves and whatever else feel ever more uncharitable in the light of the first two episodes, which for me just about nail the wonder and grandeur of what Tolkien was capable of bringing out.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    And the obnoxious complaints about Black dwarves/elves and whatever else feel ever more uncharitable in the light of the first two episodes, which for me just about nail the wonder and grandeur of what Tolkien was capable of bringing out.
    I haven't seen the show yet but I've read the twitterati, and those people can straight fuck off.

That line about Morgoth and the Silmarils - not something Tolkien wrote - was amazing. I like how they tied Galadriel to the introduction of Numenor - at least where I think this is going. This is looking to be a great show!

I could barely get through a rewatch of The Hobbit the other day, ugh what a waste of resources those three movies are.

Pretty good third episode. I'm really enjoying the sets and landscape visuals. I don't really know how they plan on running 5 seasons of this, if they even make it to a second. Also, I thought they didn't really have the rights to the forging of the rings, so I dunno what they are gonna do there either, unless they're just planning on heavily hinting at lots of Important Shit.

--Homer

Did not care much for episode 3. Arondir as a main character seems like a mistake to me - he has only one expression and those scenes with the Orcs just felt awkward - they could have done that all in one scene. Halbrand is another mistake - not caring for his story, sounds too much like Aragorn's. Numenor is not made out as a nice place and I think that's a mistake too due to events that will occur later. We need to care about Numenor but maybe that comes later. Elendil and his kids was good but would have liked to have seen more - those scenes appeared rushed to me.

This show is not looking good to me. The writing is very mediocre or bad and it doesn't look like an expensive show in many scenes. It looks on par with Wheel of Time which I enjoyed more but not interested in season 2 of that.

The writing is very mediocre or bad and it doesn't look like an expensive show in many scenes.
    I apologize in advance if this is mad condescending but are you sure your TV settings are cool? Any sort of motion smoothing would completely ruin a show like this. It looks neat to me.

I have been enjoying this show despite the bad reviews. It looks better than the Hobbit series. Then we get to this episode, and suddenly, I hate it. The writing vagaries, the constant confusion of when this is set time wise...I flipped super quick. I went from "cool" to "fucking hate" in like 5 seconds. Maybe it will swing back around for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast