Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (season 1)

I have been enjoying this too. Galadriel is badass and I don't really get the reactions against the character, and the Elrond/Durin stuff is fun. What's confusing about the timeline?

I'm really enjoying it so far, even if they are likely to condense a whole lotta time to fit different elements in. This is clearly material you have to be rather forgiving for. So far I really like it.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Its still well made, I'm not enough of a deep diver on the material to wrap my brain around when this was set.

That's what I call a powerful season finale.

Thought the finale was a tad hamfisted in places ("let's wrap everything up neatly! let's reveal this character! and remember that line you like??" etc.), but overall I enjoyed the show. It's clearly more "creative writing in Middle Earth" than canon, but the majority of it is executed really well, with some parts that absolutely sparkle with well-earned warmth and delight (Elrond/Durin/Disa stuff). At least they introduced some elements of Sauron's deceits, even if I never really fully bought into what they were selling. No idea if we'll ever get another season given the grumblings of some of the more extreme unsatisfiable lore-wonks. But it's been an interesting journey, and I was even moved by many scenes and characters. Lore-wise maybe 5/10, with trying to get the spirit right a noble intent. Entertainment-wise probably 8/10, with some higher highs sprinkled in.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I thought this was the worst written show I've ever seen. I stopped watching in the middle of episode 6.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I thought this was the worst written show I've ever seen.
    Nah.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I thought this was the worst written show I've ever seen.
    Oh come on now.

Really, I'm surprised you all like it.

It has its problems, but I thought it had some great strengths too. Overall I enjoyed my time watching it.

I do find it a little weird the way everyone today praises Jackson's trilogy by comparison as if there weren't the same cultivar of fanboys screaming from the pages of the internet 20+ years ago about Arwen, Warrior Princess; the total destruction of Denethor as a character; Shield Surfing; elves at Helm's Deep; and on and on and on. I was there, Gandalf; I was there 3,000 years ago.... Yet time seems to have softened fans' hearts by and large to mostly remember the good parts and tolerate the iffy stuff. I'm almost 40 now. I guess basically I'm just starting at that point rather than taking 20 years to get there. I don't want to stew anymore on things like that, if I ever did.

--Homer

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Eh it's decent enough. Some episodes felt really slow and talk filled. However I liked some of the characters and I think it has room to improve.

PS: Used a free trial to view this lol.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 12-05-2022 at 06:40 PM.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12